iOS 12 is rolling out at 1pm ET today my Apple brehs

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
I understand where ya coming from, but as a person who knows why these slowdowns usually occur (more intensive software features/ slow breakdown of flash memory), I’mma have to say this is unlikely in this case.
I fee you on that financing shyt tho. That’s the reason for these stupid ass ballooning phone prices. Charge $1500 but only have them pay $60/mo and they still sign up in droves :snoop:

Here's what's crazy. People will never own the phone. Pay $720 and then turn in a slightly used phone for the next one. Apple recycles the parts from the old one to keep their margins. If not for the fact that my 5s crapped out I'd still have it as a back up for my 6s.

lepard

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bro, this is still a corporation with an agenda focused on growth. Why should it service older devices when it can get people to upgrade to the more expensive phone, especially as people are now financing phones and never really "own" it. Just trade it in when they're ready to upgrade.

Like I said, let's give it a few months. Those 5s and 6s gonna be feeling it. Apple has already discontinued their original iPhone X that they released last year. They're pushing their consumers into a singular direction. From a corporate standpoint I understand that, but as a consumer I need to do what is right for my pockets as well.

My 6s is still running well. I don't believe in financing a phone. If I can't buy it out right, then I'll save up and wait up for it.

You're not wrong, but here's Apple's thought process. They have so many services that it behooves them to ensure that those "older" devices are still usable so for example people will keep paying for iCloud, Apple Music, etc.

Last edited:

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Here's what's crazy. People will never own the phone. Pay $720 and then turn in a slightly used phone for the next one. Apple recycles the parts from the old one to keep their margins. If not for the fact that my 5s crapped out I'd still have it as a back up for my 6s.
AND on top of that shyt, they give you $3-400 for a $1500 dollar phone :banderas:
I need to switch careers

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Other than the new keyboard color, I’m not seeing anything new. I need to read the update list :patrice:

Everybody is saying it’s faster, but I’m not seeing it. Maybe it’s because I have an X? :patrice:

I’m more interested in watch OS5, but shyt is taking hours to download :francis:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Well first off it's 0% APR... so whether I buy the phone outright, or do installment payments (not financing), it's the exact same cost for the phone. i have the x, i see no reason to upgrade, i'll pay this phone off without paying a dollar over retail. if not, i would have had to sell it on ebay and then buy another new phone outright

you getting fukked either way cause the phone price ain't changing.. but there's no markup vs paying in full, so why not

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Well first off it's 0% APR... so whether I buy the phone outright, or do installment payments (not financing), it's the exact same cost for the phone. i have the x, i see no reason to upgrade, i'll pay this phone off without paying a dollar over retail. if not, i would have had to sell it on ebay and then buy another new phone outright

you getting fukked either way cause the phone price ain't changing.. but there's no markup vs paying in full, so why not
You right, but really all the easy financing does is make it easier for them to continue jacking up the prices. Just a few years ago I only paid 4-500 for a brand new flagship phone, android at least. Those days are long gone after T-Mobile opened the device finance for 0 apr floodgates

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
I understand where ya coming from, but as a person who knows why these slowdowns usually occur (more intensive software features/ slow breakdown of flash memory), I’mma have to say this is unlikely in this case.
I fee you on that financing shyt tho. That’s the reason for these stupid ass ballooning phone prices. Charge $1500 but only have them pay $60/mo and they still sign up in droves :snoop:
How long does this take to set in? Don’t these have several hundred TB of write capacities?!

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
How long does this take to set in? Don’t these have several hundred TB of write capacities?!
I believe that is correct, but phones are exposed to hard conditions over time which can have the effect of causing bad blocks in both RAM and NAND. This is usually not evident until you have kept the phone for 4 years or more. That, combined with new software which is more intensive than the shipped software, causes visible slowdown of the device

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
I believe that is correct, but phones are exposed to hard conditions over time which can have the effect of causing bad blocks in both RAM and NAND. This is usually not evident until you have kept the phone for 4 years or more. That, combined with new software which is more intensive than the shipped software, causes visible slowdown of the device
What kind of use do you gotta put this phone through regularly to fukk up the internals? I reinstall iOS a lot, with the ipsw file, then restore about 35 gigs of data on a 64 gig phone. Did this several times (10+) over the past five months. Am I fukkin up my phone?

lepard

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What kind of use do you gotta put this phone through regularly to fukk up the internals? I reinstall iOS a lot, with the ipsw file, then restore about 35 gigs of data on a 64 gig phone. Did this several times (10+) over the past five months. Am I fukkin up my phone?

Not coming at your neck, but curious, why are you reinstalling so often?

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Not coming at your neck, but curious, why are you reinstalling so often?
I use the ipsw file for each new update, even the lil ones, and I like purging the memory every time I offload data onto my computer, even though these things don’t slow down over time

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Using your phone as intended is never considered fukking it up in my eyes. These are powerful ass pocket computers. Just don’t plan on keeping it more than 4 to 5 years and using the latest software features