Internet forums are disappearing because now it's all Reddit and Discord. And that is worrying

Blackrogue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Nai
They both have their place. reddit has a wide variety of subjects. It was more active during the nba draft cycle than here so I peeped there a few times. Troll randoms and not give a fukk about the upvoting system.

Here's where I come to kick it with the homies :salute:

And the no bots thing is an underrated aspect that will be such a blessing in the future

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Yeah, I dislike reddit's reply system. It doesn't

I don't think forum reply systems are the best either to be fair because there is some value in seeing top replies first.

Should have the ability to either check the threads as different orientations: reply based, time based, most popular etc. per post and reply.

I do like Discord though.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Yeah, I dislike reddit's reply system. It doesn't

I don't think forum reply systems are the best either to be fair because there is some value in seeing top replies first.

Should have the ability to either check the threads as different orientations: reply based, time based, most popular etc. per post and reply.

I do like Discord though.
Yea discord is super clutch if you actually have productive hobbies and want to learn shyt, way easier to make connections with people you can run into IRL and build with. People are super open to screen sharing to teach you stuff and the group functions are goated, having UFC or battlerap watch parties >>>>>

I'm not even into coding/programmer shyt but I stumbled into a discord and got put on to all types of fire websites these dudes be making :wow: woulda never found that shyt on here cuz it probably would have devolved into jokes and some trolls arguing

Reddit layout is fukking garbage I have no idea why that format is accepted

BUT I will say you can parse through top comments and latest comments on there, it's just the countless sub threads of conversations that makes it get messy real quick

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

*ARTICLE TRANSLATED TO ENGLISH

Internet forums are disappearing because now it's all Reddit and Discord. And that is worrying​

• For years, the conversation has moved to social networks and new platforms
  • But many of them are closed and do not index in search engines
  • Reddit has ended up becoming the great global discussion forum, but that has its dangers
Discussion

17 comments FACEBOOK TWITTER FLIPBOARDEMAIL

6 June 2024

Javier Pastor

8752 posts by Javier Pastor

There was a time when discussion forums were our social networks. Users visited those that fit a certain theme and that allowed them to create community and enjoy a small (or not so small) virtual place in which to meet.

That is changing, and the emergence of the aforementioned social networks caused a dangerous migration. Suddenly being in a forum was no longer interesting because Facebook groups with funny names were more eye-catching. And if it wasn't the Facebook groups, it was Reddit. And if not, Discord.

Everything is a subredit​

Everyone on the Xataka team is a fan of Reddit. It is a fantastic platform that allows you to talk, discover, learn and have fun without leaving it. And yet, it has its dangers, and one of them is that it is causing the disappearance of discussion forums.

Reddit1

The feeling that these discussion forums are dying is already known. A Hacker News user with the alias 'hourago' already commented on it forcefully a year ago on this platform:

It is a revealing comment and one that gave rise to an interesting debate there. In it, many agreed with these impressions, indicating that indeed today discussion forums are seen as something anachronistic, obsolete, totally out of fashion.

Reddit has followed in Twitter's footsteps. The Internet is now a slightly worse place than before 's footsteps. The Internet is now a slightly worse place than before

IN XATAKA

Reddit has followed in Twitter's footsteps. The Internet is now a slightly worse place than before

Instead, we have subredits, which certainly offer many of the advantages of forums, but they have one major disadvantage: they are controlled by a single company that has just gone public and has not been particularly good to its users in recent times.

The same goes for Facebook groups – we already know how the company spends them – and other platforms to which the conversation has been moved. Twitter (sorry, X) offers that capability, but it doesn't have much to do with forums because there you follow people or media, not topics or interests.

Discord is the straw that breaks the camel's back​

If Reddit and Facebook groups were the first cause of the disappearance of forums, Discord is finishing annihilating them. It happened, for example, in 2021 with the Eurogamer forum, which closed with the argument that "the way people communicate has changed, and traditional forums are no longer a popular place for people to meet to talk".

As they explained in Kotaku at the time, the problem is that Discord is very different from a discussion forum. The former is great "for real-time conversations," they highlighted, and is also "an elegant way to manage multiple chat rooms and voice communications."

However, the forums were not for that. In them, users take their time, the answers are more deliberate, often more considerate, and above all, the feeling is that they are permanent. This is just what another Reddit user named EmSa1998 commented saying that:

This is also especially important, because in the forums indexes are created in which it is possible to search for any topic in a simple way. On Discord you can perform searches, yes, but the way this platform works means that those searches are often erratic. The people responsible for Discord themselves realized the problem and tried to propose an alternative closer to the forums with the so-called Forum Channels.

21 Subreddits Xataka Editors Consider Must-Have

IN XATAKA

21 Subreddits Xataka Editors Consider Must-Have

But the conversation doesn't go out of there. Nothing you write there or in Facebook groups can be found on Google, because those posts aren't indexed. That makes these platforms lock you up, something that the forums, which do index in search engines, do not do.

Reddit, for example, does respect that part, and that has led many to search directly in the Google search engine by adding a simple "reddit" at the end so that the results focus on that platform. The same goes for Stack Exchange, which can be thought of as an evolution of the original discussion forums.

The communities are diverse, and user contributions have helped create a knowledge base that has been vital for developers and programmers for years. Then came ChatGPT, and those responsible for Stack Overflow ended up reaching an agreement with them ( like Reddit), but that's another topic.

The worrying thing here is that discussion forums as we knew them are dying. And the alternatives are different, but not necessarily better.
Twitter should also be included in this discussion. There's so many nikkas on there that would've been SOHH/AHH/Boxden/etc. posters if this was the 2000's.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Some subreddits could be paywalled, hints Reddit CEO​

Avatar for Ben Lovejoy Ben Lovejoy | Aug 7 2024 - 5:15 am PT

14 Comments

Some subreddits could be paywalled | Reddit logo with dollar signs for eyes

Reddit CEO Steve Huffman has hinted that in future some subreddits could be paywalled, as the company seeks to devise new sources of income.

Huffman raised the prospect during an earnings call in which he said Reddit would also be testing AI-powered search results later this year …

Reddit’s drive for cash​

Reddit has been very focused on making money both in the run-up to its IPO, and since.

The first big news on this front was more than a year ago, when the company started charging developers for API calls, forcing the closure of the popular third-party app Apollo. That led to wide-scale protests that the company had to forcibly shut down.

It was subsequently revealed that the company had signed a deal with Google to allow Reddit posts to be used as training data, which subsequently saw the company blocking all other search engines.

AI search could generate ad revenue​

Top comment by​

Liked by 4 people

I have doubts that this could work in practice, primarily because a big part what makes reddit useful is the ability for anyone to comment, you'd lose the people who have knowledge but aren't going to spend money to share it. Then there's moderation; is reddit going to pay for moderation because its a paid premium experience, unlikely as they just want money but then who is going to spend the money to moderate ie who's going to pay to volunteer for a company; or will moderators get free access in which case how do you get the moderators in the first place?

What will likely happen is these paid subreddits will end up being just like the wave of dead subreddits, you'll occasionally see a post that might get some interaction but it's not people's go to place. They may get a ton of people for the first month or two trying it out(especially if there's a free trial) but very few people will be interested in paying and the subreddits will die down until no one is left, after all if there's no content then why would you keep paying and it would enter a death spiral as more people have that same thought.

View all comments

Engadget reports that Huffman now sees AI-powered search as a potential revenue source.

During the call, the Reddit co-founder said the company would begin testing AI-powered search results later this year [and] that search could one day be a significant source of advertising revenue for the company.

Some subreddits could be paywalled​

More worryingly, Huffman also hinted that in future some subreddits could be paywalled.

He suggested that the company might experiment with paywalled subreddits as it looks to monetize new features. “I think the existing, altruistic, free version of Reddit will continue to exist and grow and thrive just the way it has,” Huffman said. “But now we will unlock the door for new use cases, new types of subreddits that can be built that may have exclusive content or private areas, things of that nature.”

9to5Mac’s Take​

This is another move likely to anger Redditors. While the platform is a commercial enterprise, its value derives almost entirely from freely offered user content. That means Redditors feel at least some sense of ownership in a community endeavour, so the company needs to tread carefully when it comes to monetization at user expense.

Image: 9to5Mac collage using image from Reddit

morris

Superstar
Daps
was Quora the reddit ebfore reddit? I don't really like those messaging systems.

free range will always exist (hell News forums are still used for hd movies)

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
They're going stupid trying to maximize their profits from websites this year. Google(YouTube also), Amazon, and Reddit :francis:

Ouija

Rookie
Daps
Reddit is home to some of the biggest fags on earth.

Bunch of dweebs that think they're smarter than everyone else. They shyt on other cultures and call them trashy when their own culture is legend of zelda tattoos and gay ass puns.

Pegasus Jackson

Trump's Amerikkka
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA ZONE 6
I fukking hate Reddit's interface.. it's counterintuitive as shyt.

I miss music blogs (with downloads) the most to be honest. Obscure shyt that's not on spotify with paragraphs written by true music geeks.

***** ain't going anywhere. Incel murderous dorks will always need an outlet.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
I say this time and time again...if the coli dies, I'm done.

I hate using discord because I'm like years behind and sometimes communities can be at a lunch table that you end up looking like the oddball.

Reddit is hit and miss, mainly missing melanin :mjpls:

This is the only place where I actually find like minded posters that can tolerate a black and proud marsupial :ehh:

Reddit would send me to R/koalas :mjcry:

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Man Reddit and Discord are terrible formats if you want to engage in a topic for more than a day. ESPECIALLY if the Reddit/Discord has heavy traffic.

Last edited: