Inside the Making of Redfall, Xbox’s Latest Misfire (Bloomberg)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This is the same company they’re trying to convince us will go in and gut and completely change the work culture over at Activision, a 70 billion dollar operation :mjlol:

rdj

Pro
Daps
70% of the prey team gone...
black-guy-waking-up.gif

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Hopefully, Redfall was a wakeup call because Phil should have somebody in charge to manage quality control and have better communication with studios. I know most of this is on Zenimax, but MS is also to blame because they should have seen the signs that the game was a disaster and either pull the plug or tell them to do a full reboot into a single player focused game.

Also, on all levels there needs to be an explanation on how they thought this would be a viable GaaS game. There is no way this game would have legs to be a GaaS because even if decent it seemed like one that wouldn't have that big of a community.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Hopefully, Redfall was a wakeup call because Phil should have somebody in charge to manage quality control and have better communication with studios. I know most of this is on Zenimax, but MS is also to blame because they should have seen the signs that the game was a disaster and either pull the plug or tell them to do a full reboot into a single player focused game.

They literally do, the head of xbox game studios, Matt Booty

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
This is what happens when you get these mega publishers. It sucks because mega publishers are pretty much needed due to costs etc.

Suits that have no idea of what goes into a game trying to force developers to add/change shyt.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
They literally do, the head of xbox game studios, Matt Booty
True, Booty seems very Greenberg like where he failed his way to the top. If I'm Microsoft I would either replace him or have a couple of people on that level to manage the studios. I would have one person in charge of overseeing Zenimax. Another overseeing newly acquired studios like Obsidian, Playground, Compulsion, InExile, and Double Fine. Then another to overlook their studios before acquisitions. I don't think 1 person managing 20+ studios is working, and they should consider hiring a couple of people on his level.

Canon

Veteran
Daps
:francis: they will be the first casualty of the MS purchase

shame everything before this game was good

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
also, i would like to chime in and say I was right when those leaked screenshots came out a couple years ago and i said there was a storefront baked into the UI. They were planning it as a GAAS title the entire time

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Also, on all levels there needs to be an explanation on how they thought this would be a viable GaaS game. There is no way this game would have legs to be a GaaS because even if decent it seemed like one that wouldn't have that big of a community.
They never really fully cooked the GAAS stuff cause they went away from it after planing it that way for years.

Which is why the game got caught between two worlds of mediocrity. Niether side was full fleshed out. Game would have probably had to be fully rebooted. They probably just wanted to get it out and behind them at that point.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

Phil talked about it in that interview. said they should have got more involved earlier. hopefully lessons were learned. he also said they've been more hands on with Starfield

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The only thing I fault MS for is continuing to hype the game.

Everything else sounds like typical Project Management headaches.

But this is probably a good thing, MS wanting to let these studios 100 percent just keep doing what they are doing isn't going to work. Especially if a game like redfall is any indication of quality control between the publishers and MS.

There needs to be a team of gamers on strict nintendo like "we'll ruin your life" type NDA's that plays these game that aren't devs and don't really have to worry about losing there jobs for saying a game is meh, glitchy or just not really fun. MS has too many studios to rely strictly on a internal team that might not want to ruffle feathers.