"I'm not a rapper, I'm a hustler" movement was the beginning of the end of Hip Hop

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Agreed, it was mad corny.
Its fine being a businessman but that 2000s era of people toting that really felt like dudes took a step back on the art

Although ironically the dudes who innovated with were still dope (Clipse and to an extent Jigga)

ajnapoleon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jay started the "I'm not a Rapper I'm a Hustler" movement so every rapper try to copy that shyt but the thing is they didn't rap good so the failed!!!!:sadbron:

Hov Da Gawd stay tricking these dumb rappers:yeshrug::deadrose:
That's the thing Jay actually worked at it and put in time learned how to rap took years to get to the point he was at and sometimes go back to

These guys put out a mixtape and say they better than 2pac

Even tho I'm not a Wayne fan I can't deny he put in work

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Rap is just the most creative genre. The same sort of upper suburb kids that listened to Nirvana and Yo la tengo are now listening to Lil Baby and Post Malone.

I’ll credit it to the producers and hiphop being digital. They’ll deliver a dope beat always, all you need is a hook and or a different voice. Bars is the same thing as being a skilled musician nowadays, the masses just want new sounds. Back in the days bars was a new sound.

Kendrick, Drake, Cole deliver both bars and unique sounds, but they sell records due to the sounds not the bars. Wu-tang moved units due to the style and sound not the bars. Having bars was never enough to top national lists. That’s just an extra for us nerds. Mc hammer moved more than the top mcs. Fugees moved more than the top mcs. In most cases, new and accessible sounds has always been the selling point. That’s why people like Drake source soundcloud rappers to find new ways, new flows etc. Although us nerds only want the next 2am on the coli.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I agree. I always hated that shyt. Its like nikkaz took Jay-Z’s verse and used it as an excuse to just be fukking retards on the mic. I always wanted Hov to call that shyt out because say what you want about Jay-Z, that man put in his 10,000 hours.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Rap is just the most creative genre. The same sort of upper suburb kids that listened to Nirvana and Yo la tengo are now listening to Lil Baby and Post Malone.

I’ll credit it to the producers and hiphop being digital. They’ll deliver a dope beat always, all you need is a hook and or a different voice. Bars is the same thing as being a skilled musician nowadays, the masses just want new sounds. Back in the days bars was a new sound.

Kendrick, Drake, Cole deliver both bars and unique sounds, but they sell records due to the sounds not the bars. Wu-tang moved units due to the style and sound not the bars. Having bars was never enough to top national lists. That’s just an extra for us nerds. Mc hammer moved more than the top mcs. Fugees moved more than the top mcs. In most cases, new and accessible sounds has always been the selling point. That’s why people like Drake source soundcloud rappers to find new ways, new flows etc. Although us nerds only want the next 2am on the coli.

Thats not entirely true.

Nas, Wu, Pac and Biggie moved units based off their bars. The sonics were important but their words are what moved people. Inspired people. Its why their legacies continue to endure. Nas & 2Pac are studied in colleges as esteemed as Harvard.

I’d even argue early Jay-Z moved units (up until Vol.2) was selling off of his bars more so than his production

Flywin Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lannister Bloodline
Kinda like Hollywood making movies using people who never studied acting. If the guy can't spell and can't speak coherently and does not know the history of Hip Hop then I think it's common sense that he's going to suck as a rapper.

"Suck" is a relative term though, because Soulja Boy has fans. SB fans think Nas sucks - this is because they are crack babies and think four syllable words are foreign language, but still.

Anyways: there is "critically acclaimed" and there is "popular". These two are usually opposite of one another and mutually exclusive for the most part (you'll have the odd duck like "Avengers" that achieves both, but 999/1000 this rule applies). "Popular" is popular becuase it panders to the lowest common denominator. All the songs are about money, sex, drugs, violence, crime and all the base things in life becuase most people's ears perk up when they hear one of these topics come up - even if they are against such things.

Same thing as Youtube vids: the old lady falling face first into a pile of dog crap will get 6111313 views, the guy explaining the secret of the Universe will have 17 views.

The "hater" thing is also a bunch of BS

"And then they label me a hater, that's bulls***
I thought that everybody hated wack bulls***"
This some real sh*t breh

Especially

“Anyways: there is "critically acclaimed" and there is "popular". These two are usually opposite of one another and mutually exclusive for the most part”

Doesn’t happen often that ppl make actual real world sense on this forum

Repped

Flywin Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lannister Bloodline
Cam'ron always said rapping was a hustle for him but you can tell he loves it.
Cam wanted to go to the league for real. Obviously, he couldn’t sniff a G-League bench spot.

Cam has LEGIT lyrical skills and flow, he also jusr happens to really be about his paper. But without the skills, that paper would be less.

Sure there’s the popular “hustler rapper” who gets the right features and is hot 5 minutes (Red Cafe etc) but they don’f last, regardless of co-signs.