"I'm not a rapper, I'm a hustler" movement was the beginning of the end of Hip Hop

dre

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY/DC
Eazy was never looked at like a real solo act though, his music was like Diddy putting out music. I mean you know he wasn't writing it, you knew it was a side hustle type thing...it only became necessity when Cube and Dre moved on

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Eazy was never looked at like a real solo act though, his music was like Diddy putting out music. I mean you know he wasn't writing it, you knew it was a side hustle type thing...it only became necessity when Cube and Dre moved on

:usure: mufukin diddy:what:?

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
Why does everyone try to attribute the hustler to rapper to Jay Z? Is it because he said it in a song?

Well I can recall back in the 80's this business man(hustler/drug dealer) by the name Eric Wright distinctly stating he's not a rapper he's a businessman, when Boyz in The Hood was in heavy rotation. I remember him stating as much on 1580 Kday in like 1987 or 1988.

Probably because even though Eazy E was the first to say it in public it didn't really take off until after Jay-z made it popular.

Something can be your hustle and you can still have love for it. The attitude of 'im only here for a check/money' is what really killed it.

backbreaker65

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Passage of Time

Well Eazy first project was a solo before NWA(the group thing).

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
You have wack rappers or rappers that simply can't rap
In the mainstream right at the forefront..
I.e waka flocka,.French Montana

Record labels know that wack rappers are no longer shunned
In fact they're supported..

You think if there was still quality control waka would have got
Through the door

I will ask it again when have "wack" rappers ever been checked?

LandryFieldsDad

All Star
Daps
I will ask it again when have "wack" rappers ever been checked?

I dont know? When they weren't mainstream relevant in such volume

If a record label still feared being the machine behind pushing a trash
Rapper..they wouldn't

If the next rapper clearly lacking skills was boycotted and the label
Vilified..the next MC they'd get behind would be MC elements and he'd
Rap about turntables

dre

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY/DC
:usure: mufukin diddy:what:?

Both ghostwritten execs/hustlers that do shyt on the side, now what you think about who's music is better is your opinion but whatever

I mean are you really going to be comparing Diddy or Eazy E to anyone bar for bar like you do other rappers

My point in the context of this discussion is it's not fair to try to blame them because they clearly aren't rappers, and noone really ever looked at them like true MCs in the first place.

When guys like Jay and Jeezy who're artists first and foremost (or at least Jay was once upon a time) started trying to put that shyt on a pedestal is when it got bad because then any person could jump in the game like "yeah fukk rapping I'm about money before anything"...they're why you have someone like Waka proud to say he has no bars, not Eazy-E

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Convinced nikkas to stop writting too. Now we got OJ the Juice Man rappers talking about..."I dont even write raps down neither...:win:"

nah you don't write raps down but you should cause your music its ass :what:

It's funny tho..Jay even blamed himself for this shyt..he said its the reason most of these rappers ain't got skills..

KTD2

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
More detrimental, the "I don't write" movement.

*rapper says "I don't write, it's all from my head."*
*goes into the booth and raps "I'm hot, blow dryer."*

dre

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY/DC
Eh...how much better would a guy like OJ OR Waka be if they wrote. I can't picture them sitting down slaving for hours writing regardless.

I think that movement is tied into the main point of this thread too...if it's just a hustle why sit down and write

MBwithadream

All Star
Bushed
Daps
black or latino (as the origin goes) don't support their own kind then who will?

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is a problem, but the bigger problem was the labels influence on hip hop and phasing the hood out of the hip hop acts they sign and push after the success of Eminem.