Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
More Research Advice: If at all possible don't move to a country with no local connections. The best connections to have is local dudes with clout. In fact this is so important that I'd say that if people are naturally standoffish to you then maybe you should consider another country.

Generally locally clouted dudes want to meet you too as they assume that you're a "rich american" and chances are if you did some traveling you'd know more about the world than the average middle class professional in the third world knows.

The reason for this is there's no CNN for the third world and unless they're relatively rich they wouldn't watch CNN international or the BBC. Additionally Universities in the third world don't load people up with unnecessary classes. If you want to be a Doctor you don't have to take an elective in ancient asian feminist history.

If you can't meet local clouted people then defenitely meet any expat there. The expat on the ground has made every mistake that you'd likely make and their knowledge can save you thousands of dollars and could possibly be the reason you make it in a country.

You can meet people in other countries through Facebook. Facebook groups is one of the best sources of information on any topic there's expat groups for every country on the planet. Join them, participate, Join what's app travel groups watch youtube videos, all that shyt can get you gamed up before you go.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Peeped this from one of the forums:

Piece of advice coming from my experience in recently buying an apartment 6 months ago.

-Hire a reputable and bilingual lawyer that has experience dealing with foreigner real estate investment.

-Open a Colombian investment account, not a regular bank account, go with Alianza or Acciones / Valores. They have US-based bank affiliates, so you can make transfer directly from your US bank to their US bank. They will convert the money to Colombian currency once you are ready to buy. Their exchange rates are fair and reasonable. You can open an account with them with just a passport and they have bilingual service. You must register the transfer funds with the Colombian government / central bank (Banco de la Republica), I think within 24 hours of the wire transfer for the exact amount of the apartment purchase price. If you don't, you will not be able to get the money out of Colombia if you end up selling the apartment later on. You can also be taxed / fined for not registering the funds as well.

-You can open a regular Colombian bank account (Bancolombia) with just a passport and proof of apartment purchase / ownership. Go to the branch inside Santa Fe mall since they have experience dealing with foreigners. The only thing I couldn't open on my own without a Colombian cedula or cedula de extranjera was Internet service. I had to use name and cedula of one amiga for that. Kinda sucks, but oh well.
This is specific to Colombia but there's a lot of information on the internet if you know where to look.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Setting up a business in the third world:

First of all you have to know yourself and why you're traveling/ expatting. For me the number one reason I'm not in the states is I don't want to pay racesolidier's salaries.

I actually don't pay US taxes period and I want a lower cost of living, frankly I save so much money overseas it doesn't make sense to move back unless I got a great salary.

Would I like to open a business? Yes but there's pitfalls to it Atlanta Nights in Puerta Plata DR closed recently. Hard to blame Covid since tourism actually increased dramatically in the DR last year. But Dean Cole got into unecessary beefs with other expats and when he closed you had travelers and expats dancing on his grave.

People thought he was ärrogant". nobody hated on the quality of the food itself the problem seems is that he didn't work with the locals (there was the superbowl incident) and he didn't cater his business to locals at all. Absolutely you should focus on expats and travelers but your bread and butter will always be locals with money. I think he also gave up too quickly he tried to turn an immediate profit instead of running as a loss for a couple of years.

You have to be boots on the ground day in and day out especially if you're not fluent in the language. Personally I wouldn't open an business unless I was at least a pernament resident. You need to actually be in the community that you serve not some fly by night tourist.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Language apps: Google translate kinda works in a pinch but don't rely on it. Doulingo is ok but Gritty Spanish is better.

Another free language learning app is Dict.com. They have several languages just google the language you're looking for like say SpanishDict.com.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Travel EDC.

Although crime is rare in tourist areas you may want to keep a cell phone, a card and some cash in a runners band. A runners band is a band that you where over or even under your shorts that has small pockets. You can put a lot of shyt in those pockets and it will look like you have nothing in them. That way if someone snatches your phone, you get pick pocketed, or straight up robbed you still have some money a phone and a card on you in an emergency.

Also I personally don't trust hotel safes. I had a buddy who got locked out of his safe. What I suggest is getting a portable safe, just big enough for your laptop, wallet and other things that you don't want to go missing. usually it's a combination lock on the safe and you can secure it with a small chain on wire like pacsafe and lock again either key or combination lock.
Also get a cheap android travel phone. The reason why you'd want a Droid even if you have an iphone is because you can load Google Fi on it and if you want more privacy If you get a Google phone you can de google it and not be tracked by Google.

Also if you carry one phone (and iIf it's an Iphone it's more likely to be stolen) and you lose it you're fukked especially if you're one of those people who don't print copies of your return tickets have a back up in case you lose your primary phone.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
Also get a cheap android travel phone. The reason why you'd want a Droid even if you have an iphone is because you can load Google Fi on it and if you want more privacy If you get a Google phone you can de google it and not be tracked by Google.

Also if you carry one phone (and iIf it's an Iphone it's more likely to be stolen) and you lose it you're fukked especially if you're one of those people who don't print copies of your return tickets have a back up in case you lose your primary phone.

Id imagine carrying a firearm is outta the question in most to all of these places

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Id imagine carrying a firearm is outta the question in most to all of these places
You can have a weapon in the DR if you're a citizen. Funny how some countries have guns and manage to aviod mass shootings

Jamaica & Kenya allows privately owned guns as well. As soon as I get my citizenship papers I'm getting a G-48

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
This Brother breaks down the amount of respect that you get in Africa and I can tell you it's real. It's like you went back to rural Alabama or the 50's the way Black people had manners and mutual respect for each other.

The Brother also managed to acquire Land as I said before in Africa that takes some doing.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
No I didn't actually. I also speak spanish fluently and as a result taught myself portuguese more or less. But if you saw me you would think I'm just your regular ol cat from north america.

but baxk to the question. No nothing overt, they've seemed to have done a decent job in getting the comminities integrated.....at least superficially. Folks of all shades were interacting pretty seamlessly which kinda surprised me. Of course you will have those older folks in their 60's and up stick in dem superiority complexes. But I didn't encounter it or observe it.

But there are dispairities if you know where to look. For instance the lower level labour jobs like working service jobs and restaurant jobs tended to be made up of folks looking like us, but it was far from exclusively that and even then the interactions between the employees and bosses was pretty relaxed amd jovial.

The city has an underlying African influence amd they acknowledge it from what I gather. Of course you got most advertisements with the classic "fair skinned" individual being the face of the products. But from the buses I took that left the downtown core it was decently integrated. I didn't g ovr to Amadora which has a heavy African immirgant population. The guide I had on a walking tour I did seemed to keep it a buck. When I asked him about Amadora he said it was lower class but it wasn't as troublesome as it may seem.

The decriminalization of drugs makes a hell of a difference. If folks want something get it do it and their is no huge social cloud hanging over your head.... mind you that is at with regards to the softer party drugs like trees and yay. At least from first observation. The heroin tho.... well that was the drug that led them to decriminalization in the frist place....there is plenty of stuff on the results of that one can read.

From my quick synopsis it is relwxed city, folks prefer to enjoy eachother's company, sipping drinks, being present and vibing. Which is a huge contrast to British drinking culture which is getting sloshed on benders, boistrous, loud, and chaotic. Lisbon ain't like that. Plus the women ain't carrying around beer bellies like the UK girls.....could find you some Angolan, Mozambiquean, Sao Tome, or Cape Verdean queens or if you want some mixed women they all over too. But I know you're older so you know your way around that.

Def worth xhecking out..... Im already thinking Im gonna go back in April amd spend a week or so amd get a good feeling for things and see what's lying behind my rose tinted glasses.
How did the legalization of drugs work? Do people go to a dispensary and buy hard drugs like Heroin? or is it decriminalized where they don't harras the local dope boy?

Daps
How did the legalization of drugs work? Do people go to a dispensary and buy hard drugs like Heroin? or is it decriminalized where they don't harras the local dope boy?

I didn't see it directly, but I saw a documentary and for heroin there are gov't dispensaries that give you I think it is bi weekly or weekly fix. Don't quote me on how often, but at that medium where they are not just enabling, but enough to try and convince you to quit.

With weed it is still having to cop from a d-boy, but weed products are in stores and it is on the way to legalization. Similar to how it was in the infant days of legalozation here in Canada.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
A white dude breaks down why he's moving to the DR:
I'm in the process now of getting my residency now. I will also be residing on the North coast because I'm an avid saltwater fisherman and I will have access to VA facilities. I'm also planning to purchase health insurance to supplement my VA healthcare this year so I will have full coverage by time I move there.

With the cost of living in the US is approximately 70% more expensive for me being on a fixed retirement income it's a win-win. I get to maximize my spending power and improve my quality of life for less. I stay in country for 1-3 months at a time and I have never spent over $2400 US dollars in a month. That $2400 includes my fun budget. My rent, utilities, food, ect... is about $1200 a month. That leaves me $1200 to play with, approximately $40 a day. I'm not screwing every day so that unused money rolls over on days it's not spent. Also the longer you stay you will start getting better prices and you start to meet non pros like Tugboat said.

If you do the math with an average cost being about 2500 to 3500 pesos or $44-$61 a person could have a chica every other day no problem. Now if you are a heavy drinker, bar hopper, and club going person then your budget will need to increase or your chica sessions will need to be further apart. But once you're there for a while your overall cost for toto will drop especially if you're outside of Sosúa and meet non pros. You adjust your fun accordingly.

For example let's say you're a vet like me with a 100% disability rating which is $3332 per month. You could easily live in the RD very comfortably and still have fun on your fixed income. You can save on average $900 a month. That's $10800 in the bank annually and if you have additional residual income like I do it's just extra in the bank. For me I will be able to rent, save to buy my land, and build my house cash money in less than three years. Once my home is built the rent I was paying is now going into the bank to speed up the savings recovery process. This how you can afford the hobby!

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Language apps: Google translate kinda works in a pinch but don't rely on it. Doulingo is ok but Gritty Spanish is better.

Another free language learning app is Dict.com. They have several languages just google the language you're looking for like say SpanishDict.com.

I'll remember this next time I go to Colombia.

If it wasn't for google translate while I was in Medellin, I would have had major problems especially when I got lost since 95% of people don't understand a word of english.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I'll remember this next time I go to Colombia.

If it wasn't for google translate while I was in Medellin, I would have had major problems especially when I got lost since 95% of people don't understand a word of english.
How was Medellin? i suggest you check out Cali too.