IGN India: Microsoft's Xbox Series X DRM Shows It's Not Serious About Game Preservation

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So i made sure my Series X was offline n dug up a Halo 4 disc. When I put the disc in, i got this
Q0SIzFn.jpg

I then connected online n got this message
fxhJ64M.jpg

I repeated the process on my old One X n it was the same result.

yall disc owners better download them patches now. N if u upgrade boxes n the servers are down? Well sub to gamepass n pray theres a remaster
GjU0Uav.png

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
So i made sure my Series X was offline n dug up a Halo 4 disc. When I put the disc in, i got this
Q0SIzFn.jpg

I then connected online n got this message
fxhJ64M.jpg

I repeated the process on my old One X n it was the same result.

yall disc owners better download them patches now. N if u upgrade boxes n the servers are down? Well sub to gamepass n pray theres a remaster
GjU0Uav.png
You obviously need to download the Backwards Compatibility data.

The question was can you play offline :stopitslime:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Cause you need the backwards compatibility data.

How the hell you think the enhancements happen? Magic?:mjlol:

You gotta download the files.

That’s a totally different issue to being able to play offline

Did you even read the op? The conversation is about preservation, if the servers are offline how are you going to play those games offline without the data files?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The point of this is that consoles are a shyt way to preserve games and having long term expectations that your digital library is safe on them is a pipe dream

Phil Spencer like always is just blowing smoke to appeal to niche gaming audience and trying to take a cheap shot at sony when their consoles have the exact same problems.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Did you even read the op? The conversation is about preservation, if the servers are offline how are you going to play those games offline without the data files?
You have to preserve the native hardware.

You want to play a non-native game you need configuration files.

What you think they need to put all the data in the disc for all future generations of hardware? :dahell:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The point of this is that consoles are a shyt way to preserve games and having long term expectations that your digital library is safe on them is a pipe dream

Phil Spencer like always is just blowing smoke to appeal to niche gaming audience and trying to take a cheap shot at sony when their consoles have the exact same problems.
Xbox one will play Xbox one games forever.

They put in the investment to allow their new hardware to play almost all legacy hardware, but there’s no way to do that without the new hardware downloading some files.

That’s still game preservation and a much better situation than just not being able to play the games on new hardware.

You are just trying to defend Sony for a whole different issue.

The cmos battery ticking time bomb has nothing to do with any of this. That’s the hardware just failing at some time in the future.

Do better with your dumb ass threads next time :ufdup:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Xbox one will play Xbox one games forever.

They put in the investment to allow their new hardware to play almost all legacy hardware, but there’s no way to do that without the new hardware downloading some files.

That’s still game preservation and a much better situation than just not being able to play the games on new hardware.

You are just trying to defend Sony for a whole different issue.

The cmos battery ticking time bomb has nothing to do with any of this. That’s the hardware just failing at some time in the future.

Do better with your dumb ass threads next time :ufdup:

Do cmos issue is part of the xbox one as well, and those can be replaced. The idea that is that microsoft (whoever’s in charge) could just decide you dont need the servers and you gotta subscribe to gamepass or xcloud and fukk xbox and take the servers down, then you have no way of playing old games just like PlayStation, in this theoretical all digital/hardware-less future of gaming.

If you can’t play those games on x1 or or series without connecting to a server its the exact same issue as PlayStation, you can keep you old PlayStation consoles and play games on them indefinitely also, no ones arguing about playing old games on their native consoles. I’m not sure what you’re even talking about

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Just admit that yall really dont give a shyt about game preservation and like your overlord Phil just used it to take a shot at PlayStation cause you assumed your series x was an emulation giant.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Do cmos issue is part of the xbox one as well, and those can be replaced.
No, it’s not
The idea that is that microsoft (whoever’s in charge) could just decide you dont need the servers and you gotta subscribe to gamepass or xcloud and fukk xbox and take the servers down, then you have no way of playing old games just like PlayStation, in this theoretical all digital/hardware-less future of gaming.
No. Again Xbox one will always play Xbox games. They can’t turn that off. And neither can they turn off your ability to play BC games on new hardware after you’ve downloaded the files.

If you can’t play those games on x1 or or series without connecting to a server its the exact same issue as PlayStation, you can keep you old PlayStation consoles and play games on them indefinitely also, no ones arguing about playing old games on their native consoles. I’m not sure what you’re even talking about
You keep pretending to not understand the concept

You can play them offline indefinitely on native hardware with never needing a connection .

You can play them offline indefinitely on non native hardware after a one time online setup.

Not sure why you are having trouble with understanding here??

Sony stans dumb too :mjlol: