IGN India: Microsoft's Xbox Series X DRM Shows It's Not Serious About Game Preservation

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
According to a video from YouTuber and game developer Modern Vintage Gamer, the Xbox Series X is unable to play games without connecting to Microsoft’s servers. He tried games off a disc like Rise of the Tomb Raider as well as Hitman 3 and both refused to work offline.

While Microsoft recommends keeping your Xbox Series X as your ‘Home Console’ in its settings, it’s a solution that’s described as a ‘band-aid’ as it doesn’t seem to work with every game as it should.

Native Xbox Series X physical games like Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition work fine. It installed off the disc and ran as it should offline. This should in theory mean that games that are solely for the Xbox Series X should work both offline and online. However with Microsoft’s focus on Smart Delivery, it means that the current crop of Xbox Series X discs that run on Xbox One as well are essentially coasters.
The Youtuber is stupid and wrong :camby:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Xbox Stans:mjlol:
I do it every day. I have two Xbox’s the one that’s set as my home console does not do an online check for ownership. The one that’s not my home console does.

It’s actually a good thing because it lets you share your digital games so I only need one copy and my kids can play it downstairs.

As I said this story and your thread are dumb and wrong :camby:

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
I do it every day. I have two Xbox’s the one that’s set as my home console does not do an online check for ownership. The one that’s not my home console does.

It’s actually a good thing because it lets you share your digital games so I only need one copy and my kids can play it downstairs.

As I said this story and your thread are dumb and wrong :camby:
Does the xbox one x have any online requirements? I'm tryna cop a used one to play the enhanced version of RDR1

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
It works the same way. Once the game is installed you don’t need the internet.
The article says that any game that runs in backwards compatibility mode requires the internet every time you play it, which would include RDR1. So if I buy a One X, can I play Red Dead with a disc without the internet?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The article says that any game that runs in backwards compatibility mode requires the internet every time you play it, which would include RDR1. So if I buy a One X, can I play Red Dead with a disc without the internet?
The article is wrong. You obviously need the internet to download the enhancements but after that you can play offline.