IGN India: Microsoft's Xbox Series X DRM Shows It's Not Serious About Game Preservation

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
IGN India calls out Xbox for not being serious about game preservation, despite Phil Spencer saying the opposite.
Original article

Xbox boss Phil Spencer claims that the industry should do more to preserve its history and its games. He made his comments in a recent interview with YouTube channel Kinda Funny (via PC Gamer).
"I really wish as an industry we'd come together and help preserve the history of what gaming is about, so we don't lose the ability to go back," he said.

According to a video from YouTuber and game developer Modern Vintage Gamer, the Xbox Series X is unable to play games without connecting to Microsoft’s servers. He tried games off a disc like Rise of the Tomb Raider as well as Hitman 3 and both refused to work offline.
While Microsoft recommends keeping your Xbox Series X as your ‘Home Console’ in its settings, it’s a solution that’s described as a ‘band-aid’ as it doesn’t seem to work with every game as it should.

All of this essentially means that you won’t be able to play your Xbox games when Microsoft decides to take its servers offline. This makes game preservation on the console near impossible.
Spencer's comments were noticed by video game preservationist group DoesItPlay.
''Remove the Xbox DRM then?,'' the account tweeted. ''Actions speak louder than words.''

Earlier today, Preservation Activists on Twitter @DoesItPlay1 issued a statement in which they say they won't cover Xbox anymore due to the fact they deem this DRM practices as 'unethical', as they think it's possible many games won't be playable in the future if servers go down.
(This is the same group that discovered that games could become unplayable after the CMOS battery dies on PS4 and Xbox One consoles)

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Ya, read about this a couple months ago. Pretty disappointing.
The Internet Is Fuming Over Xbox Making These Games Unplayable

“Heres the deal, you wont be able to play your games in the future, but I’ll either be fired or dead by that point so i really dont give a fukk”
1A28pmG.png

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Is this the same controversy that tanked the Xbox One when it launched? That you can't even play physical discs without checking in with MS servers?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Is this the same controversy that tanked the Xbox One when it launched? That you can't even play physical discs without checking in with MS servers?

Correct, the idea is that microsoft will never shut down its game servers so theres no reason to worry

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Correct, the idea is that microsoft will never shut down its game servers so theres no reason to worry
PlayStation doesn't have this system, correct? You can buy a PS and never, ever connect to the internet but still play games locally from discs (assuming they don't need day 1 patches), yeah?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
PlayStation doesn't have this system, correct? You can buy a PS and never, ever connect to the internet but still play games locally from discs (assuming they don't need day 1 patches), yeah?

its essentially the same issue with the ps4 and ps5, except its tied to the CMOS battery on the playstation (which can be replaced)

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
I mean, if I’m feeling nostalgic one day down the line won’t I be able to just go and download an emulator + the games and run most of this shyt by the time MS pulls it off the digital shelf? What are working emulators up to? PS2 or 3/Xbox 360 at this point?

I understand this being an issue though because it’s really not right. But I won’t even watch a movie twice so it ain’t bothering me to not be able to play old games years later

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I mean, if I’m feeling nostalgic one day down the line won’t I be able to just go and download an emulator + the games and run most of this shyt by the time MS pulls it off the digital shelf? What are working emulators up to? PS2 or 3/Xbox 360 at this point?

I understand this being an issue though because it’s really not right. But I won’t even watch a movie twice so it ain’t bothering me to not be able to play old games years later

this was my thinking as well. I said, in 20 years it prob won't be a big deal to emulate or just have completely access to an entire library of games by some means but people told me i should care so here we are.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
alright yall, stop hiding. come hold microsofts feet to the fire like yall told us to about sony.:russell:

Saw another story detailing that when the cmos battery dies in the PS4/5 they essentially become “always online” systems as you will no longer be able to play games without an internet connection even disc games will not work. :huhldup: And with the way Sony shuts servers down there’s no guarantee there will even be a server to check in with.

probably not spending a dime on software for PlayStation going forward unless there is a game I just really have to play. And then I’ll buy a disc and sell it ASAP.

Yall be saying some wild stuff, lets me know you never really played a game with a smaller community.

Just because a game has a consistent 500-1000 players or even smaller doesn't mean it shouldn't be supported in some fashion, at least available to play or download and update if you bought it.

Y’all are weird

Why wouldn’t you want to be able to play any game from whatever gen with upgraded graphics all in one easy to navigate set-up.

instead y’all say stuff like “go plug up your old PS3” it’s mind-boggling to me

instead of putting the pressure on Sony to do something they’re easily capable of.

I remember when Live was the selling more then 2k. I use to tell dudes Live is falling off you gotta start rocking with 2K and give it a chance, Dudes we’re so stuck in their ways, it went in one ear out the other. It took till 2011 for them to finally see the light.

Plus After support we gave them last gen.

Fanboy ish is the reason Nintendo does the wack ish they be doing.

this has been a big deal everywhere man.
It's not even a console wars thing.
Retro gamers, contemporary gamers who grew up with the ps3, people just
coming into gaming period and purchasing ps3's and 360's for the first time (they exist!)
are all walking into not being able whole swath's of the ps3 library.

I've mentioned it before but my ps5 is right next to my ps3 and now several games I own
I might not even be able to play if my hard drive ever fails or my ps3 dies and I need a replacement
I'm basically just shyt out of luck.

You clearly didn't comprehend.. They have the game they bought.. Doesn't matter if you have the disc or downloaded it. You bought the DLC and it was all patched up.. You want to play it again for whatever the fukk reason.. It's your game right?

Nope.. Sony said "we got your money nikka, that was a rental" and now you can't download shyt, nor play the game... It's principle. I'm not playing anything that doesn't come on this PS5.. But if you told me I couldn't play my games I purchased, even on the system I bought them for, cause your server's suck...................

Well now we're back to why I still buy discs and don't trust these motherfukkers to honor the sale

not no fanboy shyt, right? This is about game preservation.:mjpls:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This is lies. As long are it’s your home console you don’t have to connect online.

Dumb ass story. Dumb ass thread :stopitslime:

According to a video from YouTuber and game developer Modern Vintage Gamer, the Xbox Series X is unable to play games without connecting to Microsoft’s servers. He tried games off a disc like Rise of the Tomb Raider as well as Hitman 3 and both refused to work offline.

While Microsoft recommends keeping your Xbox Series X as your ‘Home Console’ in its settings, it’s a solution that’s described as a ‘band-aid’ as it doesn’t seem to work with every game as it should.

Native Xbox Series X physical games like Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition work fine. It installed off the disc and ran as it should offline. This should in theory mean that games that are solely for the Xbox Series X should work both offline and online. However with Microsoft’s focus on Smart Delivery, it means that the current crop of Xbox Series X discs that run on Xbox One as well are essentially coasters.