[IGN] ‘Half-Sequels’ Like Uncharted Lost Legacy Are The Future

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
I think thats whats rumored.

Yeah, they said they essentially didn’t want to spend 15 years on a trilogy

15 years to complete a trilogy would've been unacceptable and unbecoming of a studio of Santa Monica's esteem. They were consistent for a time in their development cycles. GOW in 2005. GOW 2 in 2007. Once every 2 years. GOW 3 in 2010 breaks the cycle but it's an additional year to drop on PS3. Ok. Cool. No problems with that. And in 2009 they gave us the God of War Collection on PS3 to help fill the void in that extra year of development.

But then they took 3 years to release GOW Ascension on PS3. :mjtf: They were already on the console with GOW 3 and remasters. Ascension should've been released in 2012. 2 years like the prior cycle. Naughty Dog has no issues sticking to the schedule of every 2 years: Uncharted 1: 2007. Uncharted 2: 2009. Uncharted 3: 2011. LOU: 2013. All on the PS3. Every 2 years. Bing. Bang. Boom. Uncharted 4 drops in 2016. An additional year cuz it's on the PS4. Just like GOW3. Makes sense. In the meantime, they dropped Left Behind and LOS Remastered in 2014 to fill that gap. :ehh:

Santa Monica taking 5 years AFTER Ascension for GOW 2018? Too long. But at least the game was great. 4 more years for Ragnarok? Again, too long. Should've been released in 2021. 2 years + 1 more year to account for the PS5. I believe them when they say it would've taken them 15 years for 3 games. Preposterous. Insomniac would've dropped 6 in that time period.

Speaking of Insomniac. Ratchet and Clank on PS4 in 2016. Spider-Man on PS4 in 2018. Look at that. A game every 2 years on the same system. PS5 comes in 2020. Do they take an additional year to drop a game? Nope. Miles Morales in 2020 for PS5. Spider-Man Remastered for PS5 in 2020. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart on PS5 just 7 months later. No bullshyting for 4 years to drop a "new game." And we got Spider-Man 2 in 2023. Again, 2 years after their last entry in Rift Apart. Not 5 years later like Santa fukkin Monica.

Its just another reason why Insomniac has taken the crown as top dog. Big, "complete" games. Stand-alone "expansions." PS5 exclusives. Huge sequels. All on time and within 2 years of each other. These other studios need to get it together.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
15 years to complete a trilogy would've been unacceptable and unbecoming of a studio of Santa Monica's esteem. They were consistent for a time in their development cycles. GOW in 2005. GOW 2 in 2007. Once every 2 years. GOW 3 in 2010 breaks the cycle but it's an additional year to drop on PS3. Ok. Cool. No problems with that. And in 2009 they gave us the God of War Collection on PS3 to help fill the void in that extra year of development.

But then they took 3 years to release GOW Ascension on PS3. :mjtf: They were already on the console with GOW 3 and remasters. Ascension should've been released in 2012. 2 years like the prior cycle. Naughty Dog has no issues sticking to the schedule of every 2 years: Uncharted 1: 2007. Uncharted 2: 2009. Uncharted 3: 2011. LOU: 2013. All on the PS3. Every 2 years. Bing. Bang. Boom. Uncharted 4 drops in 2016. An additional year cuz it's on the PS4. Just like GOW3. Makes sense. In the meantime, they dropped Left Behind and LOS Remastered in 2014 to fill that gap. :ehh:

Santa Monica taking 5 years AFTER Ascension for GOW 2018? Too long. But at least the game was great. 4 more years for Ragnarok? Again, too long. Should've been released in 2021. 2 years + 1 more year to account for the PS5. I believe them when they say it would've taken them 15 years for 3 games. Preposterous. Insomniac would've dropped 6 in that time period.

Speaking of Insomniac. Ratchet and Clank on PS4 in 2016. Spider-Man on PS4 in 2018. Look at that. A game every 2 years on the same system. PS5 comes in 2020. Do they take an additional year to drop a game? Nope. Miles Morales in 2020 for PS5. Spider-Man Remastered for PS5 in 2020. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart on PS5 just 7 months later. No bullshyting for 4 years to drop a "new game." And we got Spider-Man 2 in 2023. Again, 2 years after their last entry in Rift Apart. Not 5 years later like Santa fukkin Monica.

Its just another reason why Insomniac has taken the crown as top dog. Big, "complete" games. Stand-alone "expansions." PS5 exclusives. Huge sequels. All on time and within 2 years of each other. These other studios need to get it together.

Yeah, you need insomniac…a studio that can put out high quality games relatively quickly, but you need ND and SM that have extra pressure to put out those 90+ games every so often.

Just like how Nintendo takes super long on Zelda and Mario now

Ya Sinning Mane

Superstar
Daps
i would prefer shorter games
Lost legacy was long enough

Tlou2 was a slog halfway thru
I just wanted to be done wit it

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
Gamers are way too entitled nowadays.

*Beats Contra in 30 minutes*

GAME SHOULDA BEEN 30 HOURS !!!

:mjlol:
I find myself replaying games that are short.

When a game in 30 hours, it turns into a bit of a slog. I'm not saying I hate them. I enjoyed the FF7 remake, Horizon, GTA V. I just don't have the time to revisit them when the games in my backlog are about a foot high.

Games like Streets of Rage 4, Sonic Mania, Turtles, Ratchet and Clank etc. I have picked up several times because each playthrough requires little investment.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I find myself replaying games that are short.

When a game in 30 hours, it turns into a bit of a slog. I'm not saying I hate them. I enjoyed the FF7 remake, Horizon, GTA V. I just don't have the time to revisit them when the games in my backlog are about a foot high.

Games like Streets of Rage 4, Sonic Mania, Turtles, Ratchet and Clank etc. I have picked up several times because each playthrough requires little investment.

Yep, i played through rift apart like 3 times back to back

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Can you please show me a single instance of you "saying this for a while"

I wouldn’t mind there be more inbetween, smaller games priced at like 40 dollars, like miles morales and last legacy. I’ve been finding myself enjoying the shorter better paced game than the drawn out 25-30 hours stuff.

For example, i wouldn’t mind a little 6 hours TLOU side game before Naughty Dog takes a break on the series

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Justify high priced games because od Dev time then turn around and decrease Dev time while maintaining the same price.

And gaming journalist just gonna sick it off because they aren't serious.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Justify high priced games because od Dev time then turn around and decrease Dev time while maintaining the same price.

And gaming journalist just gonna sick it off because they aren't serious.
Outside of your annual COD/Madden joints and Ass Creesds, the prices have not been the same price. Not sure why sure why you delude yourself to think otherwise.

Last edited: