[IGN] ‘Half-Sequels’ Like Uncharted Lost Legacy Are The Future

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah I rather we get a nice ass game, with a smaller spin-off/expansion pack a year or so later and then 2~3 years after that get a sequel.

In the past 5 years Spider-Man fans got their fix with two mainline games and a spin off. I'd like if games can just get back to more simpler ways and stop going for these big bombastic entries that need to change the world. Gamers will still buy these smaller games if they're great.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
Is this one of the reasons why Santa Monica. Didn’t want to make an entire trilogy, for the norse GOW saga. I wouldn’t be surprised if Santa Monica. Releases their own miles morales type game for the GOW franchise.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Uh…maybe? Isn’t it still a fighting game?
Yeah, but it felt like a game that could have stood on its own.

Did you mean games in the same franchise but a different genre?

I guess I mean more so a new stand alone experience where you play as a completely new character with their own story
Yeah we're saying the same thing. I feel like if MKA was released on its own it would have done fine.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Is this one of the reasons why Santa Monica. Didn’t want to make an entire trilogy, for the norse GOW saga. I wouldn’t be surprised if Santa Monica. Releases their own miles morales type game for the GOW franchise.

I think thats whats rumored.

Yeah, they said they essentially didn’t want to spend 15 years on a trilogy

Chef

All Star
Daps
So we’re swinging back into the expansion era. That’s cool, I’m with it but I’m not paying full retail price for an expansion. :hubie:Phantom Liberty is a concept I can get behind, even if it was $10 more. The flip side is the new CoD rollout going forward. MW3 looks like a content patch than a full release.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
So we’re swinging back into the expansion era. That’s cool, I’m with it but I’m not paying full retail price for an expansion. :hubie:Phantom Liberty is a concept I can get behind, even if it was $10 more. The flip side is the new CoD rollout going forward. MW3 looks like a content patch than a full release.

With the understanding that they wouldn’t be full priced games, so far they seem to all be within that 40-50 dollar range

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol: Basically this

sonicknucks.png

Chef

All Star
Daps
With the understanding that they wouldn’t be full priced games, so far they seem to all be within that 40-50 dollar range
That’s a change I’d welcome. Expansions and mod communities carried some of my favorite games past their shelf life.

I also don’t mind the games that take longer development times but that’s probably not feasible to some studios for a plethora of reasons. I’m just afraid of the industry leaning towards an Ubisoft quality level of releases.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
That’s a change I’d welcome. Expansions and mod communities carried some of my favorite games past their shelf life.

I also don’t mind the games that take longer development times but that’s probably not feasible to some studios for a plethora of reasons. I’m just afraid of the industry leaning towards an Ubisoft quality level of releases.

I feel like insomniac has the perfect set up, they basically have the mainline game team and they have a whole other team that was working on miles in the meantime, and now after that team released their game (and another team release R&C) its time for the mainline team to release their follow up again, and then the secondary team gets to put out their big game after that, rinse and repeat.