If the Street Fighter series wants to survive should it go back to 2D???

If the Street Fighter series wants to survive should it go back to 2D???

• Yes it definitely should!!

Votes: 40 74.1%
  • No!! 2D is a thing of the past

Votes: 14 25.9%

• Total voters

parallax

Superstar
Daps
People born after the year 2000 aren't excited about Rival Schools, Cyberbots, Darkstalkers, etc.

Thats because they don't know about any of those franchises. The last rival schools was on the dreamcast which was 20 years ago and that's the most recent of the games I mentioned. And it isn't like these are games that have been given many chances to fail either

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
Fighting games are in a peculiar place, not sure what draws new gamers to the genre.

Is it customization, storylines, streamability?

this is pretty much what it is. for the people who aren't heavy in the tourney scene fighting for money and livelyhood, people play these games for a little more than just the mechanics and who'll get them the most wins, some have an attachment to these SF characters from their involvement in story development and character personality.and design. it's why a game like smash is so insane because even without a storymode those characters have insane amount of history.

Making a new IP is a lot easier said than done if you ask me.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Thats because they don't know about any of those franchises. The last rival schools was on the dreamcast which was 20 years ago and that's the most recent of the games I mentioned. And it isn't like these are games that have been given many chances to fail either

All it takes is a HD Remix of Rival Schools to validate the market for Capcom.

I always thought the Rival Schools franchise would make for a great tag team game with Mahvel dead.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
All it takes is a HD Remix of Rival Schools to validate the market for Capcom.

I always thought the Rival Schools franchise would make for a great tag team game with Mahvel dead.

They'd have to speed it up a bit, but I'd be glad to see a new rival schools.

Ill-Mind

Midwest Moonwalker
Daps
They'll never go back to 2D graphics, yall need to let that dream go. Development in that space is more time consuming, plus how else can they sell yall additional DLC costume packs and stages? You think they're gonna hand draw the same characters multiple times in different costumes? :pachaha:

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Would have loved to see SF do a force mode or type of beat em up mode like Tekken did. Make that shyt Co-Op and they could be on to something.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
That was nothing like Tekken. It was 2.5 D like SF is right now.

Far as dude who said KOF flopped cuz its not 2D, bs. It has the same niche following its always had. KOF was never meant to sell big cuz its not casual friendly at all.

SNK was never popular in the US , but im south america it does gangbusters due to the fact the arcade boards were cheaper down there.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
The current games are already 2.5d.
I dont think its a good idea seeing as they have invested pretty heavily in their current toolset. Going back to sprites will only really affect the look, and not the actual gameplay. Heavy endeavor for low return IMO

False. Hit detection is completely different for sprites rather than 3D models. Part of the reason true 2D games feel different no matter how hard they try (KOF)

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
Street Fighter 4 was one of the most successful fighting games of all time and it was 3D. 3D has nothing to do with it, Street Fighter 5 failed because Capcom got greedy, and it was incomplete at launch.

Now what should go back to 2D is King of Fighters, they flopped when they went 3D.
I always thought 3D meant they could fight in different planes a la Tekken or Virtua fighter as opposed to characters fighting strictly face to face horizontally, what makes Street Fighter 5 3D and when did Street Fighter move to 3D?

sorry if this is a dumb question :francis:

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
Lol at nobody in the thread using the terminology right

Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat are both 2D fighters and have been for years. Not 3D or 2.5, those are different types of fighters.

You mean animated or hand-drawn sprites. Maybe they'll do one eventually, but it's more expensive and more work. Anyway the art style isnt why SF5 is lacking.

thanks, this video also helped me understand it better also :ehh: