If Lamar/The Ravens worst performance is always in the playoffs. How does Harbough escape criticism?

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Because Lamar has been pretty bad in the playoffs and we all watched that KC game. Peyton was getting crushed a lot more than Lamar when he had a few duds to start his postseason career.

If Lamar was Alex Smith, it'd be one thing but this guy has two MVPs, same as Mahomes. You're damn right there's gonna be a really high standard for him.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
What is this shyt? Youre totally glossing over the Killer B's period. No showing at New England in the 2016 AFC championship game. Next year with a chance for revenge, you get blitzed by Jacksonville, at home. Got destroyed by Cleveland at home, during the playoffs. Slave mind? What the fukk does race have to do with anything? Im stating facts. Why are you mentioning Bill Cowher? Who brought him up? Since he's a brother, I cant mention how he hasnt won a playoff since before Patrick Mahomes was drafted?
That loss to the Tebow Broncos was disgraceful. :picard:

premier58

All Star
Daps
Ehh thats a bit much.:patrice:

I will be the first to admit that Tomlin sort of underachieved during the 'Killer-B' Era. Although I would say 2017 was the only year that they really performed below expectations.

But we know that this is a QB driven league, and the Steelers have not had 'top-10' QB play since 2016. And lets not forget the atrocious QB play of the past 3 years.

The fact that that awful team made the playoffs last year may be his biggest accomplishment outside of winning the SB. :manny:
Overachieving by sneaking in the playoffs has been done many times. Old ass Bobby Ross took a Gus Frerotte led, post Barry Sanders team to the playoffs, no threat, though. Brad Childress took Tarvaris Jackson to the playoffs. Christian Ponder, too. dikk Jauron took Jim Miller to a.2 seed and 13 wins. Mr. 8-8, Jeff Fisher took a washed up Kerry Collins to the playoffs as a 1 seed. Didnt Dennis Erickson take Jon Kitna to the playoffs in like 99? Jack Del Rio took Byron Leftwich to the playoffs. Dave Wannstedt took Jay Fiedler to the playoffs on back to back years. Etc

premier58

All Star
Daps
That loss to the Tebow Broncos was disgraceful. :picard:
I was gonna bring it up, but I felt I had made my point, already. Dude literally started one more game as a QB after that, and the Big Bad Steelers with their No.1 ranked defense, couldnt do a thing.

premier58

All Star
Daps
Ehh thats a bit much.:patrice:

I will be the first to admit that Tomlin sort of underachieved during the 'Killer-B' Era. Although I would say 2017 was the only year that they really performed below expectations.

But we know that this is a QB driven league, and the Steelers have not had 'top-10' QB play since 2016. And lets not forget the atrocious QB play of the past 3 years.

The fact that that awful team made the playoffs last year may be his biggest accomplishment outside of winning the SB. :manny:
So AB and Juju were putting up these excellent numbers with subpar QB play? So they havent had elite QB play since 2016, yet Ben led then to 13 wins and a bye in 2017?? Remember that historic first year starting for Mahomes, where he threw for 5000 yards and 50 td? You know who led the league in pass yards that year? Big Ben, did. He was still highly effective..now post elbow Ben(2020/2021) were smoke and mirrors

jwonder

Banned
Daps
Reppin
DADE County
What is this shyt? Youre totally glossing over the Killer B's period. No showing at New England in the 2016 AFC championship game. Next year with a chance for revenge, you get blitzed by Jacksonville, at home. Got destroyed by Cleveland at home, during the playoffs. Slave mind? What the fukk does race have to do with anything? Im stating facts. Why are you mentioning Bill Cowher? Who brought him up? Since he's a brother, I cant mention how he hasnt won a playoff since before Patrick Mahomes was drafted?
Because Bill Cowher is treated like a he won 5 Super Bowls, but Tomlin is on the hot seat or underachieving? Doesn't make sense. They both been there a long time and got one Super Bowl, but no one ever talks about that. It's just different scenarios for them because Tomlin is black. Cowher had blunders too. It's apart of the game.

Who the fukk hasn't lost to the Patriots when Tom Brady was there? :dahell:

2017 Jacksonville Jaguars were one game from the Super Bowl. :why:

2021 Browns had the same record as the Steelers and should have beat the Chiefs, also one game from the Super Bowl. What are saying Todd? :wtf:

You act like they lost to slouch teams.

Anyone that knows football. Knows the Steelers don't spend like that. So it takes a damn good coach to be able to be competitive. You give Tomlin super stars like a lot of teams have and he'd win the Super Bowl. shyt I would have bet the bank if he was the Niners coach he'd have three rings right now with the roster they got.

Last edited:

GatorStaceyAdams

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC (but PGH will forever be home)
So AB and Juju were putting up these excellent numbers with subpar QB play? So they havent had elite QB play since 2016, yet Ben led then to 13 wins and a bye in 2017?? Remember that historic first year starting for Mahomes, where he threw for 5000 yards and 50 td? You know who led the league in pass yards that year? Big Ben, did. He was still highly effective..now post elbow Ben(2020/2021) were smoke and mirrors
Because he was tossing the rock 40x a game.

In 2017, Ben had 27TDs to 14Ints with a 94 QB rating. In 2018, he had 34TD's vs. 16Int with a 97 rating. Those are literally middle of the road numbers.

Sure, he was effective. But when you are paying someone nearly 1/3 of your salary cap- you are hoping for at least top-10 QB play.

b. woods

Peace
Daps

The Jaguars are to the Steelers what the Vikings are to my Saints. :francis: @3Rivers

No matter the year/location/roster/etc., they always seem to have our number. :damn:

jwonder

Banned
Daps
Reppin
DADE County

In 2017, Ben had 27TDs to 14Ints with a 94 QB rating. In 2018, he had 34TD's vs. 16Int with a 97 rating. Those are literally middle of the road numbers.

Sure, he was effective. But when you are paying someone nearly 1/3 of your salary cap- you are hoping for at least top-10 QB play.
Naw he was elite. :troll:

premier58

All Star
Daps
Because Bill Cowher is treated like a he won 5 Super Bowls, but Tomlin is on the hot seat or underachieving? Doesn't make sense. They both been there a long time and got one Super Bowl, but no one every talks about that. It's just different scenarios for them because Tomlin is black. Cowher had blunders too. It's apart of the game.

Who the fukk hasn't lost to the Patriots when Tom Brady was there? :dahell:

2017 Jacksonville Jaguars were one game from the Super Bowl. :why:

2021 Browns had the same record as the Steelers and should have beat the Chiefs. What are saying Todd? :wtf:

You act like they lost to slouch teams.

Anyone that knows football. Knows the Steelers don't spend like that. So it takes a damn good coach to be able to be competitive. You give Tomlin super stars like a lot of teams have and he'd win the Super Bowl. shyt I would have bet the bank if he was the Niners coach he'd have three rings right now with the roster they got.
Tomlin had a star studded team from 2014-2018. Dont use New England as an excuse. They went a decade without a ring, so they were not unbeatable. Indy, Denver, Baltimore and NYJ tapped that ass.

Outside of some psycho Steelers fans, who treats Cowher like he was some coaching deity? He barely gets brought up. You keep talking about money, as if Pittsburgh was known for overpaying free agents. Drafting has always been their calling card. Anybody who knows football, knows this. They are a homegrown team.

From Woodson to Dawson to Lake to Kirkland to Porter to Hampton to Smith to Polamalu to Big Ben to Harrison to Ward to Holmes to Woodley to Shazier to Wallace to AB to Pouncey to Bell etc. When you draft like that, you dont have to spend crazily.

Being competitive is not as impressive as you think. I gave and could continue to give examples of mediocre to avg head coaches making playoff runs. You said Jville made the AFC championship game? Why was that? Because they beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh.

You forgot about all those years where the Steelers would play down to their competition? The Browns got up 35-0. It wasnt even a game. Dont act like its normal to get blown out in the first half of consecutive playoff home games. Youre a Niner fan, right? Well Eddie D was contemplating firing Bill Walsh after losing to Minny in the 87 playoffs. Thats after 2 SB wins. He settled for taking away his GM title.

So all Tomlin has to do is sneak into the playoffs and get hammered? And go around saying the standard is the standard. Would he win with SF? Probably so. But we do know, that he didnt do.anything with the firepower Pittsburgh had from 2014-2018. He has lost 3 out of his last 4 home playoff games.

premier58

All Star
Daps

a 97 passer rating is not middle of the pack. Even in the pinball era. 3 pts from 100 rating is middle of the pack. In what universe? Hr was still more than good.enough to get them to a 13-3 record and a No.2 seed. He had an awful.game with like 5 ints in 2017 against Jville, which skews the numbers. Ben was still a great QB til he hurt his elbow. Or at the very least, very good.

premier58

All Star
Daps
Naw he was elite. :troll:
97 passer rating and over 5000 yards passing with 34 td is high, high level production. How many QBs have had 5000 and 30 tds? And for a winning team?
Marino, Brees, Manning, Brady, Mahomes, Stafford, Herbert

jwonder

Banned
Daps
Reppin
DADE County
97 passer rating and over 5000 yards passing with 34 td is high, high level production. How many QBs have had 5000 and 30 tds? And for a winning team?
Marino, Brees, Manning, Brady, Mahomes, Stafford, Herbert
High Interceptions also, so it's counterproductive. Interceptions costs games. If my memory serves me right a few of those games ended due to his picks that year. In 2018 they went 10-6.

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
He's not an offensive or defensive coordinator and he has never been one, so playcalls and specific player failures would have to be egregious to reach him criticism-wise. If he isnt calling the plays and he isnt playing on the field, its tougher to blame him.

He's responsible for the team and the bottom line in general like a CEO, but it's tough to say how much his involvement is and on what level. Whereas, for guys like Reid, Shanny or even more of all-encompassing HCs like Beli, they either call plays directly or have a huge input or used to call plays.
Bingo. He's definitely a player's coach. He's there for motivation and to make sure they're disciplined on the field. I've heard some people wish Andy Reid had another coach during his Philly and early KC days that would just focus on clock magement while he called the plays.