Idris Elba Drags Samuel Jackson For Attempting To Divide Black Actors

LevelUp

Born To Mack
Daps
Source: Jim Spellman / Getty

Idris Elba is making it plain that he is not a fan of Samuel L. Jackson’s comments about Black British actors taking jobs away from Black American actors.

You may recall that earlier this year, Sam Jackson made comments about Daniel Kaluuya for his role in the box office smash, Get Out.

Sam said:

I know the young brother who’s in the movie, and he’s British. There are a lot of black British actors that work in this country. All the time. I tend to wonder what would that movie have been with an American brother who really understands that in a way. Because Daniel grew up in a country where they’ve been interracial dating for a hundred years. Britain, there’s only about eight real white people left in Britain … what would a brother from America have made of that role? I’m sure the director helped. Some things are universal, but everything ain’t.

Adding his thoughts on Black English actors, he said,

They don’t cost as much. Unless you’re an unknown brother that they’re finding somewhere. They think they’re better-trained, for some reason, than we are because they’re classically trained. I don’t know what the love affair is with all that. It’s all good.

In an interview with The Root during press rounds for his new film, The Dark Tower, Idris, who is English, took Sam to task for the comments.

“I was really disappointed in those comments,” he said. “We are dissected as a people, why dissect us any further, as a comment as stupid as that,” he said.

“Black actors all over the world look at Samuel L. Jackson as a great actor, who happens to be black. The idea that he can dissect us into English actors that are black, stealing roles from American actors, is really ignorant and made of things that divide us, instead of pulling us together,” he added.

No response yet from Samuel L. Jackson. What do you think — do you agree with Idris or Sam Jackson.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sam Jackson was right though....

The problem is people were spinning it as him going at Black Brits, when in reality he was going on the casting directors and agencies in Hollywood. They have a tendency to just assume that black folks from the UK are better actors than Black Americans. To be fair they do the same thing with white actors, white actors from the UK and Australia get a lot of roles because they're perceived to be better actors by casting agents.

Marco Andretti

GRINDHARD
Daps
Reppin
NoleNation 904 Jetlife
Sam is officially his character in Django full time smh
ce21b6a12207cb5e730c9a460b77bb78.jpg

Edit: .. jokes brehs . .jokes..

This is a JamiefoxxHairline thread for crying out loud . .

Those who negged .. ketchup .. u mustards..

Last edited:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Sam Jackson was right though....

The problem is people were spinning it as him going at Black Brits, when in reality he was going on the casting directors and agencies in Hollywood. They have a tendency to just assume that black folks from the UK are better actors than Black Americans. To be fair they do the same thing with white actors, white actors from the UK and Australia get a lot of roles because they're perceived to be better actors by casting agents.
Sam should just step to the casting director he thinks do this privately. Just pondering the question in public isn't helping anyone, especially American born Black actors.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sam should just step to the casting director he thinks do this privately. Just pondering the question in public isn't helping anyone, especially American born Black actors.

The thing is it's all of the casting directors that do it. A fair number of problems with see are because of casting directors. Damn near every black actor has a story about a casting director asking them some fukk shyt.

You're right though that Sam probably shouldn't have said anything publicly if only because of how media will spin shyt. Same thing happened when he said he wasn't feeling how rappers with no acting talent were being cast in movies alongside him.

FlimFlam

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nollywood wasnt built on all inclusiveness . And if the shoe was on the other foot, there would be rumblings about it as well. Africans, as well as the rest of the world, squabble about outsiders (even fellow africans)ursuriping resources among themselves. We can talk all this unity shyt, which holds merit, but the home team needs to be taken care of as well...without nationalism theres no nation

I agree with sam, but black people are guests in Hollywood

Last edited: