Ice Cube Wants ‘Friday’ Franchise Back From Warner Bros: ‘They Need To Do The Right Thing’

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I have zero interest in a new friday movie :yeshrug: Especially without John Witherspoon

I think ice cube should just move on and free his mind. He’s stressed out about a movie nobody wants.

Hollywood Cacs are fukked up thou. Holding the rights knowing they ain’t doing anything with it. They acting like a child who doesn’t want a toy until they see another child playing with it.

That's what Nickelodeon did with Ned's Declassified. The cast and creator wanted to do a reboot similar to the iCarly reboot, but Nickelodeon said no. And they refused to sell the rights to them so they can't take the reboot and try selling it somewhere else. It was a really good idea, and it made sense with all the reboots out now, but Nickelodeon would rather have the original property collect dust than do anything new with it.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Friday franchise is pretty much dead as far as box office appeal.

Though I could see them spinning it off as a streaming TV show dealing with neighborhood fukkery, with new characters and only OG Friday characters making cameos.
It ain't as dead as you think

Gen Z loves Friday too

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
That's what Nickelodeon did with Ned's Declassified. The cast and creator wanted to do a reboot similar to the iCarly reboot, but Nickelodeon said no. And they refused to sell the rights to them so they can't take the reboot and try selling it somewhere else. It was a really good idea, and it made sense with all the reboots out now, but Nickelodeon would rather have the original property collect dust than do anything new with it.
Buying rights cost a lot of bread that the majority of these creators and actors just don't have to make it a viable option and even if they did, the ROI for selling it elsewhere wouldn't be worst the cost of obtaining them especially with how quick shows get cancelled these days.

It's the exact reason why Cube always starts juelzing whenever someone mentions him buying the rights to the franchise.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Buying rights cost a lot of bread that the majority of these creators and actors just don't have to make it a viable option and even if they did, the ROI for selling it elsewhere wouldn't be worst the cost of obtaining them especially with how quick shows get cancelled these days.

It's the exact reason why Cube always starts juelzing whenever someone mentions him buying the rights to the franchise.
Yea what people miss about owning an IP or your masters is they don't mean much without an ecosystem to distribute it. That's why some artists are better off letting the label own their shyt and putting their songs in commercials or movies they can eat off of for life

That was the reason for my earlier post about Tyler Perry. If Cubevision was built up the way Tyler Perry Studios is Cube could have bought the rights to Friday AND had a means to distribute it instead of trying to repitch Friday to another studio . Because I'm sure Cube has the bread to buy Friday, but even if he does he's right back at square one

Last edited:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York

It's definitely difficult, but not impossible. I don't think Nickelodeon was even willing to negotiate anything with them because it looked like they were interested in buying the rights if the network was willing to sell. But at the same time, there is a possibility of the reboot failing and all that money going to waste.

It does work out in some cases. Like with Big Time Rush. They were created by Nickelodeon to be a TV band. The network had no interest in promoting them as an actual group, despite the fact that they were doing all the singing and dancing and touring like crazy while filming the show at the same time. By their last album, they were writing or co-writing all the songs. Years later, they settled with Nickelodeon because they wanted to bring the group back. Now, they own the name and all the original music. They're an independent group with their own copyright ("Bought the Rights") and they're doing better than ever. They even sold out the Garden this year.

It helps that their fan base stayed with them and grew up with them, but Nickelodeon could have easily told them to fukk off and give them nothing.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
cube needs to go back to the writing room and just come up with something new and funny. get some good comics on the writing team and make a new classic. if he could do it in 1995 with no track record in Hollywood he can do it now.

Friday was lightning in a bottle.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
i'm sorry but his script ideas or I guess the synopsis for "Last Friday" were awful
one was about craig and day day in prison
the other was about craig dealing with smokey's son in the neighborhood

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
the Don MAGA fukked up. He wants them to donate a franchise that gets aired at least once a week all day everyday. I get that WB wasn't the company Cube was initially dealing with when he made the movie, but that's business. If he wanted to do it independently, he could have, but alas.
People forget that those cable companies need to content to fill with everything moving to stream and Friday is an easy film to use to burn time.

It’s valuable to them for that reason alone.