i would like to apologize in advance: i couldn't get into The Last of US

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah breh, I feel you.

I mean I like it. But was it the greatest game I've ever played? No.

Secondly, I'm kind of annoyed it has spawned this whole genre of movie games.

The fukk? Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Indigo Prophecy, etc.

The Last of Us isn't really a movie game. It uses easily recognizable cinematographic techniques to evoke certain emotions but cutscenes have been doing that since FF7 or Metal Gear Solid lol.

I can;t get into any of those games that are more noteworthy for their story rather than gameplay

You should really start trying to take games on as whole and you could start enjoying a large variety of games. Especially because the story and gameplay in this are both used equally to explore Joel's fragile psyche.

Excellent story I mean excellent but gameplay was overrated I will admit and the ending was garbage. The love affair is because of the story and I am excited for part 2

The ending was garbage? :picard:

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
The fukk? Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Indigo Prophecy, etc.

The Last of Us isn't really a movie game. It uses easily recognizable cinematographic techniques to evoke certain emotions but cutscenes have been doing that since FF7 or Metal Gear Solid lol.

You should really start trying to take games on as whole and you could start enjoying a large variety of games. Especially because the story and gameplay in this are both used equally to explore Joel's fragile psyche.

The ending was garbage? :picard:

Yeah we did all that shyt with him just killing everybody and they going their own way

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
TLOU absolutely did not start the cinematic wave of games. Metal Gear Solid did it 2 console gens before it. Before that you had games like Final Fantasy 7 that gave us CG cutscenes as rewards for making to certain parts of the game. I fully believe that the story heavy games we see today are what many game makers have always wanted to make but they just didn't have the tech to do it like they can now. Just look at the walls upon walls of text in older games. It's obvious story was always meant to be a crucial aspect of the gaming experience as a whole.

Right. It was a natural evolution of technology and desire for that to happen from gaming devs. Most gaming devs are big into movies, to which many of their games are often heavily inspired by movies, so in turn, they've been wanting to replicate movie like story-telling since the beginning. Only within tech advancements has it become more possible to do that to that level, which is why

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah we did all that shyt with him just killing everybody and they going their own way

Yeah, the mentally fractured ex-hunter that watched his daughter die chose to save his surrogate daughter from dying. And the entire point of the final "mission" was to disassociate yourself from Joel and watch him succumb to his selfishness.

Breh, the entire game beats you over the head that no one in this world is sane or "good" because those people tend to die the quickest. Joel isn't a good person and he's not a "self-insert" character.

The thing that you're complaining about is exactly what Naughty Fog was trying to do. Create a three dimensional character who's goals and wants were separate from you. He's like a Walt from Breaking Bad.

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Right. It was a natural evolution of technology and desire for that to happen from gaming devs. Most gaming devs are big into movies, to which many of their games are often heavily inspired by movies, so in turn, they've been wanting to replicate movie like story-telling since the beginning. Only within tech advancements has it become more possible to do that to that level, which is why

Which is why I'm loving what games are doing now because the new crop of game designers are INTO games.

Focusing on the strengths of the gaming medium instead of just trying to copy the strengths of movies or tabletop gaming.

shyt like Undertale, Nier: Automata, Superhot, Soulsborne, Papers Please, Hotline Mismi, Spec Ops, etc are so amazing to me because they're stuff that can't be copied by any other "entertainment medium".