I watched Fight Club countless of times and never realized this!

Vintage Eclectic

Lord of the Sky
Daps
Reppin
Chi-York
Eh, can't cosign this one. The BIG reveal (even in the book) is the revelation of Tyler as the alter persona/ego. Marla, IMO, was the only thing that reminded him of his reality,tied him to the real world and made him reflect on his cynical outlook on life. I think that's the reason he despised her so much. Someone else was exhibiting similar factors as himself, he wasn't "original" anymore (something that stood out from everyone else, was now being replicated by a mere stranger).

Also, with all the hate he supposedly has for her, they are codependent on each other's existence (think Joker and Batman). It's a balancing act of him further slipping into insanity and disillusionment (Tyler), while slowly holding on to reality with his fingertips (Marla).

He made some points that, you could probably step back and say :ohhh: but I think he's reaching with her nonexistence (or lack thereof).

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Now you are reaching... Especially when "Jack" was peeking at the backroom and there was no alternate passage and it was in the matter of split seconds.

He imagined it.... that was clear proof of him imagining it.
dude... the people who made the fukking movie don't agree with you

like why are we even having this discussion... you're taking things, and making another story out of that.. you're not the first... this movie been out like 15 years now. you think this hasn't been rehashed a million times

she was real... get over it

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
dude... the people who made the fukking movie don't agree with you

like why are we even having this discussion... you're taking things, and making another story out of that.. you're not the first... this movie been out like 15 years now. you think this hasn't been rehashed a million times

she was real... get over it

Fincher NEVER stated anything about the only person the narrator imagined was Tyler. The author acknowledges the changes from the book to film and felt the film version was better than the book. I shown you a seen where it DIRECTLY SHOWS "Jack" imagining someone who isn't Tyler. You see it CLEAR as day of someone just "appearing" out the blue, yet you still want to deny it.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Fincher NEVER stated anything about the only person the narrator imagined was Tyler. The author acknowledges the changes from the book to film and felt the film version was better than the book. I shown you a seen where it DIRECTLY SHOWS "Jack" imagining someone who isn't Tyler. You see it CLEAR as day of someone just "appearing" out the blue, yet you still want to deny it.
and i told you in my first post... read entertainment weekly... they did a 5-6 page article on the 15 year anniversary.. they talked to EVERYONE and asked a million questions... she's real breh.. i'll scan the article when i get to my mom's tomorrow

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
The kinda film that blows your mind when you're in your teens but as you grow older you realize it's pretty shallow.

I still like it. It's a very entertaining film but it's not really all that deep. Fincher went on to make much better films after.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
The kinda film that blows your mind when you're in your teens but as you grow older you realize it's pretty shallow.

I still like it. It's a very entertaining film but it's not really all that deep. Fincher went on to make much better films after.
or Before :mjpls:

FeloniousMonk

Dont mind me..Im a azzhole
Daps
Reppin
Them Lo Lifes...
I was going to make a thread on how-

This dude created a underground fight club-BY BEATING HIMSELF UP!!

Im trying to figure how was he able to convince people to fight each other, when he's punching himself in the face...:whoo:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
She's real. Some of y'all mf's are creating a totally new story.

Prove it. There's nothing remotely suggesting she's a real person, and makes more sense in context to who the narrator was and actually gives her character PURPOSE along with why Tyler deems her as a threat.

The evidence is practically blatant as to how she's not real. The ONLY thing you can claim she's a real person is INDIRECT interaction with the Space Monkeys and even from the clip I posted earlier proves that members of the Fight Club/Project Mayhem are a figment of his imagination. Shoot, remember the scene where Tyler and Marla was overheard screaming madly while fucckin' upstairs and the phone ring and "Jack" answered it talking to the black Detective telling him that someone committed arson to his condo. Now if Marla was REAL, then the narrator would be fucckin' HER instead of talking to the detective. So, it is either him hearing IN HIS HEAD Tyler and Marla having sex, or imagined himself talking to the detective while having sex with Marla, or he imagined it ALL. But it CANNOT be both being "real". There's nothing proving or showing the detective as being imaginary, but too much evidence supporting Marla being imaginary.

I could go on with this, but like I said... if you believe she is real... Prove it. And don't rely on the book, because the book and the film are way different from each other.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was going to make a thread on how-

This dude created a underground fight club-BY BEATING HIMSELF UP!!

Im trying to figure how was he able to convince people to fight each other, when he's punching himself in the face...:whoo:

I posted a clip that strongly implied he imagined it. None of the members are actually real. I'll post it again. Watch the first 10 seconds and notice how the bartender miraculously "appears".

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Take a read of this....

http://thetoasterchronicles.wordpress.com/2014/05/18/fight-club-madness-inception/

A few months ago, I watched Fight Club for the third time. This movie never ceases to amaze me with its precise camera, incredible cast and clever direction. Fight Club is a straight ride into anarchy and madness that I enjoy a little bit more every time I watch it.

Until I saw the last five minutes. In my opinion, the last scene between Marla and Jack is either an incredible way of destroying the spectator’s assumptions, or a lazy Hollywood-style twist.

Let me explain, under a cut.

The easy way out
A common and quite valid interpretation of Fight Club is to understand the ending as Jack’s epiphany: first, the character begins his journey by literally burning his meaningless, consumerist life into ashes and joining the opposite pole of the moral and social compass through the creation of Tyler Durden. A big part of the movie tells the story of Jack’s growth as he slowly comes to peace with himself, until he realizes that he doesn’t need Tyler anymore (after the car crash). At this point, Jack is like Dr Frankenstein, freaked out by the extent of his creature’s evil. He finally understands that submission to social diktats or self destruction is a dead end, and find his salvation in love. The last image of Jack and Marla holding hands while the entire skyline crashes in front of them, revealing a clear horizon, can be interpreted as a metaphor of Jack’s newfound peace and hope for a brighter future.

It is a powerful and beautiful message. However, as such, it strikes me as a disappointing ending to such a visceral, dark, strong movie. I don’t have anything against “love-is-stronger-than-everything” kind of endings when they are relevant, but they are several inconsistencies throughout the last scene that got me to question the overall meaning of that ending.

Inconsistencies…
First, when Jack shoots himself in the head, therefore “killing” Tyler, we clearly see his left jaw exploding under the impact of the bullet. Blood ensues, Jack narrowly escapes death and lies on the verge of unconsciousness. Then his brainwashed minions appear, carrying a screaming Marla, and everybody is deeply shocked by Jack’s wound. Two men wonder how he can stand with such a serious injury. We have to remember that these people are not easily intimidated: they committed various acts of aggression and they have seen their leader hurting himself pretty badly on numerous occasions (hitting himself, burning his hand with acid…). So their reaction leads the viewer to believe that Jack’s injury is serious, likely life-threatening. Jack does look like shyt, and he has trouble speaking – of course, he blew up his own jaw. But when Marla and him are alone, and Jack tries to convince her that his feelings for her are real and that he is sorry for being a fukked-up idiot, his speech gets better and better until he doesn’t seem to have any trouble speaking anymore. This spectacular improvement happens in thirty seconds. Quite interestingly, the last image of Jack at the end of his speech shows the right side of his head – the “good” one, which isn’t bleeding. As if to show that he is not wounded anymore.

In a film so exquisitely written, these inconsistencies and hints prove the last scene is essential to understanding the overall meaning of the ending of Fight Club.

Furthermore, the last scene shows the buildings crashing in a row; almost all of the collapsing skyscrapers are visible from the same window, thus revealing a fresh new horizon to the protagonists and the viewers… This scene has always seemed sloppy to me, like a badly written script in a video game. Let’s think about it: we know Tyler and his men set explosives under ten buildings. There are many more skyscrapers in any major American city, so we should logically see other tall buildings behind those collapsing. For that matter, we should see other buildings between us and the line of collapsing buildings! Architecturally speaking, it doesn’t make any sense otherwise.

To me, this last image tastes like a dream, whereas the whole movie feels real, shytty real. So, I started wondering what was real and what was a fantasy. What if that last scene takes place inside Jack’s mind? This scene feels like a fantasy – Jack’s fantasy: killing the bad guy, winning the girl back and standing tall and strong, facing the future, while the camera shoots his back in a very traditional Hollywood move. Nothing about Fincher’s directing is traditional in Fight Club, except that last scene.

… or genius
If that final scene is not real, when does the transition between reality and fantasy occur, story-wise? That is the tricky part. Nothing else in the movie feels out of place, except the fact that Tyler’s “assignments” get less and less believable as the story progresses. Hitting random people in the street? Ok. Destroying antennas on several rooftops? Ok. Smashing cars? Why not. Drawing a giant smiley face with eyes on fire on a building? That must require a solid logistic, but maybe. Jack’s entire gang posing as staff attendants during a major city event starring the chief of the police and probably many local figures? How is this poosible? Building an army of faithful brainwashed space monkeys in the entire country and across all layers of society, including cops? Suspension of disbelief coming up! Finally, the masterpiece: infiltrating the headquarters of each credit company in the city and stuffing each building full of tons of homemade nitroglycerin, in total discretion. Seriously?

Maybe Jack has a very wild imagination, or maybe I am being delusional. There is probably nothing in the movie that could be read as a transition from reality to fantasy. I haven’t read the book yet, but it does seem to be crystal clear that the events told in the book were supposed to be real. Still, the storyline in the movie seems less straightforward, and I like to believe there is a wider margin of interpretation in Fincher’s movie than in the original material.

In the end, Fight Club appears to be more than an essay about the debilitating effect of consumerism and modern slavery. In my opinion, the movie forces us to confront our own madness by making us question everything we saw in the past two hours. Like Jack when he begins to doubt his own identity – and Tyler’s identity – we suddenly begin to question the reality of what we believed to be true throughout the movie when we reach the final scene. The “it-was-all-a-dream” trope is usually an awful cliché, but Fincher is more subtle than that, and he doesn’t shove the deception down our throat. Instead, he lets us wonder, and that is, to me the beauty of Fight Club.

Dear readers, feel free to express your opinion about this post. I have been looking on the all-mighty Internet, browsing through a wild bunch of interesting theories about the movie (is Marla real? Is Jack an older Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes?) but I didn’t find a similar theory to my own. Maybe I got it all wrong, I don’t know. Still, I would love to discuss it.

FeloniousMonk

Dont mind me..Im a azzhole
Daps
Reppin
Them Lo Lifes...
I posted a clip that strongly implied he imagined it. None of the members are actually real. I'll post it again. Watch the first 10 seconds and notice how the bartender miraculously "appears".

So are these scenes he is imagining or is he going to businesses and talks to himself, from the 1st time he "meets" Tyler on the airplane, from the support groups (was meeting meatloaf at the support group imagined as well?), to going to the bar real?

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So are these scenes he is imagining or is he going to businesses and talks to himself, from the 1st time he "meets" Tyler on the airplane, from the support groups (was meeting meatloaf at the support group imagined as well?), to going to the bar real?

Since the entire film is through the perspective of the narrator who we KNOW is unreliable in his perspectives... the lines are blurred on as to what IS real and what is fantasy. Even at the beginning of the film right before we officially meet Tyler, he was sitting on the airplane and suddenly started imagining it blowing up only to be awakened to meet Tyler sitting in the same sit the black woman was originally at. So we know his concept in handling reality is jarred. It's why he was having sleeping problems to begin with.

Even while going to the support groups, he was going as DIFFERENT PEOPLE. We just assumed it was to put on a disguised, but it was there where he met Marla and immediately was disgusted by her because she mirrored what he was doing.

The THING that I still question is the ending. Because, even if "Jack" only and solely imagined Tyler. Why put a physical gun and shoot himself physically to "kill" Tyler? Why not wipe him out his memory the same way "Jack" was able to use his mind to get the gun in the first place? The only thing I can reason is that the narrator had literally committed suicide and the final scenes with Marla, the Space Monkeys, the buildings exploding, and the harmonic "happy ending" was the last thoughts he had before he actually died.... which also explains why the movie ends with it fizzing out with the penis cut slipped in.

But these are my reasoning. One thing is definite FIGHT CLUB never pretended to be some standard basic tale. It had more layers to it. I mean Fincher even stated that there's a Starbucks cup in every scene of the film if you can catch them all.