I wasn't alive during In Living Color, this shyt got me dying

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Tbh, "In Living Color" was "Amos and Andy" on steroids. I don't remember "Amos and Andy" that well, but when I saw a few reruns on you-tube, it didn't look all that offensive, other than that Black stereotypical shocked bulging-eyed look, which you still see today. I actually thought "Amos and Andy" was suppose to be about a bunch of Black people eating watermelons or something. That's what you would have thought from the bad reputation it eventually gained, and if you were too young to remember the show like I was, or if you wasn't even born when it first aired. It turned out that show was really the blueprint for Black comedy sitcoms. Even "Sanford and Son" emulated it in many ways. Btw, Jester Hairston, the one who played Henry Van Porter on "Amos and Andy", was my cousin. Jester Hairston also played Rolly Forbes on "Amen". On that note, he wrote the original song "Amen". That's why the show was named "Amen". But I really digressed this time.

Like I said, if any show came close to the bad image they gave "Amos and Andy", which got it cancelled, it would have been "In Living Color", which was way more stereotypical. Meanwhile, "Amos and Andy" were business owners buying their girlfriends plane tickets. Now that I think about it, although "Amos and Andy" eventually got cancelled for whatever reason, it really didn't carry that bad reputation when I was in elementary school, even though it was cancelled before I started school. The reputation seemed to had gotten worst later on, like when I was in high school. Although the NAACP got it cancelled, I believe the average Black family who grow up watching it, was just as divided as the families that grew up watching "In Living Color".

Last edited:

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Lol how old is you that you was offended by them shows BACK THEN :gucci:
Man, that show nearly caused a civil war in our community later on in the first season. I liked the show at first, until they started creating these Black characters with stereotypes. This cast had way more than enough talent to keep it funny without that, like they did when the show first aired.

Last edited:

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
Watched it for the music at the end of the show as well as the skits. People forget Hip hop was just starting to get mainstream burn. When Tribe Called Quest performed that was a movement.
:wow:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
shyt had me rolling as a kid :mjlol:

It was thee best sketch comedy show ever created at that point. That's what a lot of y'all don't realize. It was Chappelle show, before Chappelles show.

People would talk about it in small talk, and you'd encounter people reneacting parts in everyday life lol.

Kinda like how people was going around screaming like lil John for the longest.

This also makes me realize why in living color references often bomb here :flabbynsick:
The only thing that keeps In Living Color from being GOAT over Chapelle Show was too many seasons and the drop off of quality towards the end

Chapelle ending with a clean 2 seasons gives it a huge advantage