I wasn't alive during In Living Color, this shyt got me dying

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
I guess a lot of people was still watching it, but wasn't necessarily telling everybody. This was during a time when we also felt dumb for ever liking "Good Times" after it went off the air. We started mocking JJ's "Dyn -o- mitie!", and them always living in the ghetto, but had the nerve to call the show "Good Times". When Generation X came around, they saw nothing wrong with the stereotyping of Black comedy. It's been that way since.

Anyway, with "In Living Color", I didn't like the ideal of seeing the same stereotyped characters, like Home the Clown, the Muslim in jail, etc... Those characters were already controversial. Then they became regular, and I found it boring. I liked fresh material, like the "Laugh-Inns" had. "In Living Color" was the Black Laugh-Inns, but better, until they kept showing those stereotyped characters over and over again. I never thought they'd make a "Homie the Clown" doll.
guy is a legit fukking weirdo lame making up shyt. He legit said In Living Color divided the black community :dead:

Actually he is not really wrong. There was a segment of the Black community that was against the show and boycotted by not watching it.

Mostly centrist liberal Black Middle Class types, respectability mindset types, religious and some Afro centric types that felt the humour was inappropriate and had stereotypes taboos like Handyman characters making fun the disabled, crack users, racial humour, lampooning civil rights figures and related issues, the new/burgeoning at this point Political Correctness era. Also the shows embrace of Rap music artist that at the time was looked at by many as not respectable by many Black people.

We take for granted how what is more acceptable today especially with Hip Hop culture influence and intergration into mainstream media was looked at as questionable and controversial and most importantly not respectable by some Black people in the early 90s.

Last edited:

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
In Living Color was that show prime time. Never heard a black person talk down about it or say it wasn’t all that in real time.
fukking idiot :mjlol:

Imagine being attention starve that u say In Living Color divided the black community
Yea I'm not trying to beef or call names but I never ran into anyone in my family or school who felt like In Living Color "divided the black community". Not saying it didn't exist but I just never remembered people protesting the show unless it was just a way to extort money from the Wayans. For the most part they just made fun of celebs but a lot of skits were just so original and so polarizing that we still laugh at them till this day. I remember back then anything that was popular especially amongst the black community had a group that were always bytchin about whatever. Back then they were protesting hip-hop acts more than I remember anyone ever protesting In Living Color.

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
It had great ratings and was enjoyed by many but at the same time there was a segment of Black people that were against the show.

LA Times 1993

“In Living Color,” which won an Emmy in 1990 for best comedy-variety show even as it came under fire by African-American leaders and others for its portrayals of blacks and gays.

Fox's 'In Living Color': Life After Wayans' World

Last edited:

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
It had great rating and was enjoyed by many but at the same time there was a segment of Black people that were against the show.

LA Times 1993

“In Living Color,” which won an Emmy in 1990 for best comedy-variety show even as it came under fire by African-American leaders and others for its portrayals of blacks and gays.

I still don't understand why what I said was so hard to believe, coming from a brother who was full grown and woke, and in his 30's when this article was written :comeon:

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
One of my favs is the arsenio Hall skits. Them long fingers and oversold laughter always had me :dead:

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
One of my favs is the arsenio Hall skits. Them long fingers and oversold laughter always had me :dead:
Those were some of the skits near the beginning of the first season, before they created those permanent stereotyped characters, and before the show started getting more and more complaints. Yes, that Arsenio Hall and former DC Mayor Marion Barry (rip) skit was a classic. I understand when Marion Barry saw David Allen Grier (who played him), he wouldn't shake his hand. I'm sure Arsenio Hall wasn't too eager to shake Keenan Ivory Wayan's hand either, after watching him play his character.

Last edited:

Qman11687

Pro
Daps
True story, my stepdad had this nasty ass sock with tennis balls in it. When we got out of line, he would hit us with the sock and go "Homie don't play that". Probably one of the only good times with that piece of shyt:francis:
I had an uncle that gave me a whooping outside Red Lobster when I was little and after he finished he said "Homey dont play that" and he became Uncle Homey to me from then on

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
It had great ratings and was enjoyed by many but at the same time there was a segment of Black people that were against the show.

LA Times 1993

A bunch of jealous ass political and gay nikkas is not an entire community. Nobody, and i mean NOBODY was saying shyt like that and the communities that i been to and lived in rocked with that show.

Again, there was no division within the community and that lame article didnt do shyt to the show or its rep.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
A bunch of jealous ass political and gay nikkas is not an entire community. Nobody, and i mean NOBODY was saying shyt like that and the communities that i been to and lived in rocked with that show.

Again, there was no division within the community and that lame article didnt do shyt to the show or its rep.
We were mad when Keenan and them left. You could tell the difference. They had sone good skits on the later seasons but it just wasn’t the same. I don’t know where all this extra stuff is coming from lol. We did not care about no boycott or anything like that.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
We were mad when Keenan and them left. You could tell the difference. They had sone good skits on the later seasons but it just wasn’t the same. I don’t know where all this extra stuff is coming from lol. We did not care about no boycott or anything like that.

nikka read an article in LA times that didnt garner any attention and all of a sudden there was a division within the black community.

:dead:

nikkas dont even know what divided means :dead: