I wasn't alive during In Living Color, this shyt got me dying

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Admit to missing prime black comedy material during its initial run. :mjlol:

I don't know any black folks who were alive back then who didn't watch both of In Living Color and Martin.

Matter of fact add in New York Undercover to that list. Them 3 shows, everybody was watching.
I guess a lot of people was still watching it, but wasn't necessarily telling everybody. This was during a time when we also felt dumb for ever liking "Good Times" after it went off the air. We started mocking JJ's "Dyn -o- mitie!", and them always living in the ghetto, but had the nerve to call the show "Good Times". When Generation X came around, they saw nothing wrong with the stereotyping of Black comedy. It's been that way since.

Anyway, with "In Living Color", I didn't like the ideal of seeing the same stereotyped characters, like Home the Clown, the Muslim in jail, etc... Those characters were already controversial. Then they became regular, and I found it boring. I liked fresh material, like the "Laugh-Inns" had. "In Living Color" was the Black Laugh-Inns, but better, until they kept showing those stereotyped characters over and over again. I never thought they'd make a "Homie the Clown" doll.

Last edited:

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
The show had me cracking up with the impersonations, but like I said, I never was much of a fan of those Black character stereotypes. The skit impersonating Arsenio Hall, and that other skit impersonating DC mayor Marion Barry, were classics.
get lost cac00n :camby:

lame :mjlol:

divided the black community :mjlol:

cant make this shyt up

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Admit to missing prime black comedy material during its initial run. :mjlol:

I don't know any black folks who were alive back then who didn't watch both of In Living Color and Martin.

Matter of fact add in New York Undercover to that list. Them 3 shows, everybody was watching.

guy is a legit fukking weirdo lame making up shyt. He legit said In Living Color divided the black community :dead:

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I mean..

Look at where the cast ended up

Foxx

Carey

All the Wayans

Paula Abdul. Rosie Perez.

Even Davidson and Grier are still around

I was a weird kid I guess cause I didn't appreciate a lot of stuff til later.

This. Martin. Soul music. Even some rappers (Hip Hop is my religion but I'm very critical so I dislike more acts than I am a fan of).

But In Living Color is very good. Most Black people swore by it when it was on

CouldntBeMeTho

Gul DuCat
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dog Shooting Squad Of Islamabad
I mean..

Foxx

Carey

All the Wayans

This. Martin. Soul music. Even some rappers (Hip Hop is my religion but I'm very critical so I dislike more acts than I am a fan of).

Didn't even mention jlo breh..

The show was so fukking successful it turned a backup dancer into a almost billionaire empiress.

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
I mean..

Foxx

Carey

All the Wayans

A lot of Black people probably watched it, but I doubt if they really swore by it. The children might have. As a grown up, it would have you cracking up, but feeling guilty afterwards. Because every last one of those stereotyped characters reminded us of someone we knew, who was either in jail, strung out, or really having it hard.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

:dead: :laff:

Old nikkas, how was this received?

It was funny. I was in elementary school back then, so every monday morning the kids who were allowed to watch TV that late at night would be talking about the funniest skits and making the kids who weren't allowed to stay up late jealous.

Like people saying it was un-PC.

Last edited: