I still think FFXIII has the most addictive battle system ever

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
FF13 battle system was garbage.

Took a 3rd of the game for you to utilize the battle system to its full extent, and even then all you were doing was switching styles and mashing auto attack.

Persona has the most addictive turn based battle system imo.
I'm XIII you managed the flow of battle rather than micro-managing the individual characters. The real problem was half the game locked the system down and treated it as a tutorial. The benefit was the battles weren't about grinding they were about guiding the battles to a conclusion based on using the right roles at the right time.

Personally I think it's one of the better battle systems in the series. I like it better than Persona 5's battle system which is pretty much a variation of Pokemon's system.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Battle system was trash which is why the abandoned turn past in Final Fantasy and never went back

The answer to the question is Grandia II, it's turn base came where timing and distance plays a factor, you can evade a cancel enemy attacks, while they are in progress if you manage these things correctly, and it's fast paced.

Surprise nobody has copied this battle system since Grandia III on ps2

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I'm XIII you managed the flow of battle rather than micro-managing the individual characters. The real problem was half the game locked the system down and treated it as a tutorial. The benefit was the battles weren't about grinding they were about guiding the battles to a conclusion based on using the right roles at the right time.

Personally I think it's one of the better battle systems in the series. I like it better than Persona 5's battle system which is pretty much a variation of Pokemon's system.

Even when the battle system opened up it was still trash. It boiled down to filling an enemies stagger bar and juggling them until it resets. You had one style that filled the meter faster but it also drained faster, another style would keep the meter from draining but wouldn't fill it. You also had a healing style. You had to constantly switch styles to balance the stagger meter and your parties health.

Basically all you did was switch styles and watch the game play itself, and the battles dragged on far too long. It reminded me of a worse version of X-2's outfit based battle system, like if all you did in that game was switch outfits and watch your party auto pilot the entire fight.

Persona's battle system is nothing like pokemon.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Persona's battle system is nothing like pokemon.
Capture, collect monsters, attach skills to them, exploit the enemies weak element.

Between Pokemon and Persona which doesn't that describe the core of the battle system of since you say they're nothing alike.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Capture, collect monsters, attach skills to them, exploit the enemies weak element.

Between Pokemon and Persona which doesn't that describe the core of the battle system of since you say they're nothing alike.
Collecting monsters is probably the only thing they have in common. Persona has a combo based battle system where you get extra turns if you hit a weakness and support skills are extremely vital. Pokemon is brain dead easy, 1v1 with little to no strategy needed.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Collecting monsters is probably the only thing they have in common. Persona has a combo based battle system where you get extra turns if you hit a weakness and support skills are extremely vital. Pokemon is brain dead easy, 1v1 with little to no strategy needed.
The core of both those battle systems is the same. You're talking up ancillary points like that's more important than the core battle system. Just the fact that you think Pokemon is brain dead shows you have zero grasp of the system because the level of team designing and training required to beat someone that's actually good at Pokemon is insane. Saying you need no strategy in Pokemon is like saying you can just randomly fuse Personas with whatever skills on them and no design while being effective.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
The core of both those battle systems is the same. You're talking up ancillary points like that's more important than the core battle system. Just the fact that you think Pokemon is brain dead shows you have zero grasp of the system because the level of team designing and training required to beat someone that's actually good at Pokemon is insane. Saying you need no strategy in Pokemon is like saying you can just randomly fuse Personas with whatever skills on them and no design while being effective.

The core of both battle systems aren't the same.

I literally watched my son walk through the last pokemon game with the most brain dead team imaginable without losing once in a weekend, and he was 8 years old.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The core of both battle systems aren't the same.

I literally watched my son walk through the last pokemon game with the most brain dead team imaginable without losing once in a weekend, and he was 8 years old.
Take your son and have him go online against someone that actually knows the game and he'll get wrecked by someone that bread and EV trained a maxed out team designed to deal with whatever comes at them.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Take your son and have him go online against someone that actually knows the game and he'll get wrecked by someone that bread and EV trained a maxed out team designed to deal with whatever comes at them.
Why? That wouldn't change the fact that the game can be beaten with little effort.

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps

The game overall was garbage. The story, music and characters were forgettable, but the saving grace was the battle system. It was absolute pure crack :ohlawd:

The way you would switch between the different types like commando, the trigger system where you just pummel the enemies, etc. I never skipped past a single battle because it was so good and addictive.

I haven’t played this game in over ten years but to me it’s still the best battle system of any game I’ve played

Music was fire first of all...prob has the best battle theme in the whole series...and 2nd of all the game was fire

Styles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The H
Game was dope. Underrated in my opinion. Only thing I didn’t like was how melodramatic it was at times, but for me the Japanese dub alleviated some of that. I don’t think the English dub was good at all.