I didn't feel like Fresh Prince had a satisfying ending. What do y'all think should have happened?

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
It ended perfectly.

Will standing in the middle of that empty living room was the perfect symbolism of the end of the road.

I wouldn't say perfectly but I agree. All that fooling around Will did came back to bite him. The basketball scholarship with Allen payne, Not studying at all(Welcome to the exciting world of Chemistry), Dropping college classes cause it was too hard. Will wasn't supposed to win and in the end, he didn't.

reigun

Superstar
Daps
I thought the show had a fine ending. Yes it was bittersweet and didn't wrap everything up for Will in a neat bow, but from a writing standpoint, I think that's the most effective ending. Will had finally matured into someone who was ready to go out and face the world, but that didn't erase the fact that spent so much time goofing off and not taking life seriously. He didn't set himself up for anything the way Ashley, Carlton, or even fukking Hilary did. So he had to pay for all that.

But the show does leave the viewers with the confidence that he'll make it through. Might have to do some odd jobs, might have to move into apartments or dorms with weird roommates, might have to actually hold off on dating and partying for a while to sort shyt out. I think the writers understood that what Will needed at that point was to truly have his back against in the wall. In the past, he could always rely on Uncle Phil, Carlton, Geoffry, his mom, etc to bail him out of trouble. So they left him in a situation where he was going to have to figure it out on his own. So we see him and Uncle Phil in the finale, scared as fukk at that prospect, but both confident he can pull through.

It's not the happiest ending, but it's pretty damn true to life for so many people who have gone through or will go that transitional period in their 20's.

I disagree. If the whole point of the show was his moms sending him out to Bel Air to grow up and become a man, and him completing that arc from boy to man, then him being married finishes that arc. He would then have a kid and impart that same stuff to his kid that uncle phill and his aunt and moms taught him. For all the dating he did, Will was quick to fall in love on that show, so clearly he wanted that and wanted that life
Anytime Will imagined himself in the future, it was always with a wife and kids. He definitely wanted that for himself.

The fact that all his relationships fell apart and that he had so many flings was more an example of his immaturity than his actual desires. Hell, the whole point of Tyra's character was to show that Will couldn't even get someone who was PERFECT for him because he was still too busy clowning around.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I thought the show had a fine ending. Yes it was bittersweet and didn't wrap everything up for Will in a neat bow, but from a writing standpoint, I think that's the most effective ending. Will had finally matured into someone who was ready to go out and face the world, but that didn't erase the fact that spent so much time goofing off and not taking life seriously. He didn't set himself up for anything the way Ashley, Carlton, or even fukking Hilary did. So he had to pay for all that.

But the show does leave the viewers with the confidence that he'll make it through. Might have to do some odd jobs, might have to move into apartments or dorms with weird roommates, might have to actually hold off on dating and partying for a while to sort shyt out. I think the writers understood that what Will needed at that point was to truly have his back against in the wall. In the past, he could always rely on Uncle Phil, Carlton, Geoffry, his mom, etc to bail him out of trouble. So they left him in a situation where he was going to have to figure it out on his own. So we see him and Uncle Phil in the finale, scared as fukk at that prospect, but both confident he can pull through.

It's not the happiest ending, but it's pretty damn true to life for so many people who have gone through or will go that transitional period in their 20's.

Anytime Will imagined himself in the future, it was always with a wife and kids. He definitely wanted that for himself.

The fact that all his relationships fell apart and that he had so many flings was more an example of his immaturity than his actual desires. Hell, the whole point of Tyra's character was to show that Will couldn't even get someone who was PERFECT for him because he was still too busy clowning around

Exactly. Will always wanted the life he didnt have as a kid and wanted to be a better dad than his dad was to him. The dude was imagining himself being married when he was in high school.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Theory time: In the last season, did they make Will into such an underachiever and give him nothing just so they could end the series with him finally having to take on the world by himself? Kinda like they were letting Will know that if you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes? :ohhh:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Theory time: In the last season, did they make Will into such an underachiever and give him nothing just so they could end the series with him finally having to take on the world by himself? Kinda like they were letting Will know that if you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes? :ohhh:

Feels like it. Like they wrote themselves into a corner. But the show was always on the verge of being cancelled so that’s why you got finales that were meant to be series finales (will moving back to philly, will marrying Lisa) only for them to give the show life in the last second and they had to retcon or write themselves out of a corner.

jackson35

Banned
Daps
it was a bullshyt ending,the studios did not want to show black youth that we have a knack of turning negatives into positives. at the end of the day, this is not benny medina life story. this is nbc water down attempt to swag black a urban show

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Feels like it. Like they wrote themselves into a corner. But the show was always on the verge of being cancelled so that’s why you got finales that were meant to be series finales (will moving back to philly, will marrying Lisa) only for them to give the show life in the last second and they had to retcon or write themselves out of a corner.

Yeah, the way they handled it in season four was fine in my book. From what I know, the show was supposed to end that season but NBC was sent a bunch of letters from fans telling them to bring the show back. Plus, them breaking the fourth wall in the season five premiere and taking Will back to Los Angeles was fantastic.

But the season five finale was like a monkey handling a football. I understand them getting cold feet and not marrying Will and Lisa, but them marrying Will and Lisa's parents was like a huge middle finger. Everything they built up to was thrown away at the last minute, and they just pretend it never happened. It's like they had to get rid of Lisa because of the implications. It was the most :gucci: episode they ever did.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yeah, the way they handled it in season four was fine in my book. From what I know, the show was supposed to end that season but NBC was sent a bunch of letters from fans telling them to bring the show back. Plus, them breaking the fourth wall in the season five premiere and taking Will back to Los Angeles was fantastic.

But the season five finale was like a monkey handling a football. I understand them getting cold feet and not marrying Will and Lisa, but them marrying Will and Lisa's parents was like a huge middle finger. Everything they built up to was thrown away at the last minute, and they just pretend it never happened. It's like they had to get rid of Lisa because of the implications. It was the most :gucci: episode they ever did.

Yup. Terrible terrible writing lol