I Cant Lie, Key And Peele Improved

JayYoung314

St. Louis Survivor
Daps
Reppin
Saint Louis
the skit last week about the guy in class who stole the other guys joke and became famous was funny as fukk

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I know yall don't want to admit it but....

Their concepts and ideas shyt all over the Chappelle show, Living color, SNL, etc.

Sometimes their execution is a little off.

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
their sketches run out of steam and their racial humor is lame as hell, but that continental breakfast killed me all the way through.

Yeah, I agree. One thing I've noticed about their skits is that they tend to run with a joke for way too long. "Brevity is the soul of wit," as the saying goes. Very few comedians can use repetition to their advantage (Chris Rock is one- notice how he repeats his punchlines more than once a lot, but each time, it's still funny, or even funnier than the last.) Pretty much all their skits have jokes that would work much better if repeated less. Their East/West College Bowl skits, for example, would be much funnier if they were shorter and cut out the entire 2nd half. The substitute teacher skit with the mispronounced names would have been way funnier if they used fewer names and didn't have the teacher just snap again and again, but only once or twice. Etc.

And their racial humor is strange. It's not the same as usual Black comedy- it's basically "white" comedy, but with a Black face. They do the kinds of race jokes white comedians do, just with the ability to maybe do more authentic representations of Black speech or whatever, and while actually being Black people. They don't have the same bite as something like Chappelle at all. They also use their biracial backgrounds to do a lot of code-switching, but you can tell they aren't really steeped in Black comedy like that.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
Yeah, I agree. One thing I've noticed about their skits is that they tend to run with a joke for way too long. "Brevity is the soul of wit," as the saying goes. Very few comedians can use repetition to their advantage (Chris Rock is one- notice how he repeats his punchlines more than once a lot, but each time, it's still funny, or even funnier than the last.) Pretty much all their skits have jokes that would work much better if repeated less. Their East/West College Bowl skits, for example, would be much funnier if they were shorter and cut out the entire 2nd half. The substitute teacher skit with the mispronounced names would have been way funnier if they used fewer names and didn't have the teacher just snap again and again, but only once or twice. Etc.

And their racial humor is strange. It's not the same as usual Black comedy- it's basically "white" comedy, but with a Black face. They do the kinds of race jokes white comedians do, just with the ability to maybe do more authentic representations of Black speech or whatever, and while actually being Black people. They don't have the same bite as something like Chappelle at all. They also use their biracial backgrounds to do a lot of code-switching, but you can tell they aren't really steeped in Black comedy like that.
i suspect they let the skits run too long because their stand up comedy in between skits is very weak.

im cool with them being different cuz i am bored with the way most black comics handle race jokes, but you are right, they are basically telling white race jokes, and not even good white race jokes like you might get from louis ck or bill burr.

Sonny Corinthos

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Port Charles, NY
I like the sketches with the grainy old school look( mr. T, tackle n grapple) , they have some really creative sketch ideas but their best stuff is nowhere near the classic sketches in sketch comedy. But thats good for them because their stuff will always be funny and it wont get run into the ground like most ppl overdoing Chappelles goat level sketches.

'Talk about the buuurns':bryan: is just some hilariously sick shyt, I felt bad laughing but it had me:dead: