I admit, I was wrong about the Xbox Series S.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
Xbox is selling at or around how it’s always sold, a little less cause they aren’t aggressively pushing discounts and they are putting their biggest games and features on multiple platforms.

Sony selling lots of consoles, but pretty much giving them shyts away literally tanking their profit to get consoles in homes.

Two very different strategies, as long as enough xbox’s exist in homes for devs to support them, competition is just fine and healthy.
This is wrong on two fronts.

For one, it's a lie by omission, because Microsoft also sells their Xbox line at a loss at launch. Every console publisher except Nintendo uses the "razor and blades" distribution model.

Two, it's no longer true: The PS5 (and presumably the XSX) no longer sell at a loss. Source: https://www.pcmag.com/news/sony-says-499-ps5-no-longer-sells-at-a-loss#:~:text=I also spent the first,20th Century Fox, and Vivendi.&text=Sony's chief financial officer, Hiroki,longer selling at a loss.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
No it isn’t. Each one of playstations CEO’s served for 4-5 years, it has had no direct impact on the brand.

No one cared about CEO”s until yall started sucking “uncle Phil’s” dikk this generation
You really gonna act like people didn't talk about Ken Kutaragi and Kaz Hirai? Hell they were living memes. Satoru Iwata and Reggie from Nintendo? Peter Moore? People talked about gaming CEOs.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
This is wrong on two fronts.

For one, it's a lie by omission, because Microsoft also sells their Xbox line at a loss at launch. Every console publisher except Nintendo uses the "razor and blades" distribution model.

Two, it's no longer true: The PS5 (and presumably the XSX) no longer sell at a loss. Source: https://www.pcmag.com/news/sony-says-499-ps5-no-longer-sells-at-a-loss#:~:text=I also spent the first,20th Century Fox, and Vivendi.&text=Sony's chief financial officer, Hiroki,longer selling at a loss.
F-fiBx6X0AA9WNe

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
Okay, fair, my source was wrong.

Regardless, as I stated, it’s standard practice in the console market to sell a loss. Sony obviously still profits off all the benefits of a large install base: royalties on software sales, accessories, etc…just like Microsoft does. I don’t see your point in fault Sony for selling at a loss.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Okay, fair, my source was wrong.

Regardless, as I stated, it’s standard practice in the console market to sell a loss. Sony obviously still profits off all the benefits of a large install base: royalties on software sales, accessories, etc…just like Microsoft does. I don’t see your point in fault Sony for selling at a loss.
My point is that strategies can be very different and success can be had all around.

Console sales is just one data point.

Microsoft is forging a situation where console sales aren’t their metric of success.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You really gonna act like people didn't talk about Ken Kutaragi and Kaz Hirai? Hell they were living memes. Satoru Iwata and Reggie from Nintendo? Peter Moore? People talked about gaming CEOs.

Outside of Reggie, no. No one has put the CEO’s at the forefront like xbox stans have this generation. There’s a good amount of hero worship surrounding him and the narrative of him “saving xbox” that wasn’t present for any other person you listed

The guy is signing controllers for god sake :mjlol:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land