Hurricane Irma: now a tropical storm, moving into Georgia today

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Miami is right on the ocean tho. And it's at sea level so the ocean can swallow up the whole city.
While the oceans are rising and Miami's fate as an underwater city is sealed, I think we need to be a bit more cautious about reporting. Certain parts of the city are expected to flood, but that's kinda how its been with neighborhoods along Biscayne Bay for the past 100 plus years. Even when there is no hurricane, Petty storms bring those kinda waves to those areas closest to Biscayne Bay. The video said downtown Miami was underwater implying that downtown was swallowed partly by the sea, when the area being filmed isn't "downtown Miami" and is rather the mouth of Biscayne Bay. That's not to say Miami isn't under danger of flooding. It's a flood prone city even without hurricanes, but we just need to report things accurately.

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Apparently the pressure gets so low that it "drains" the water... amazing phenomenon amid such a terrifying situation. as others have said, it'll be back. they were just showing people on the news going out to look at drainage in other areas.
I don't get what I'm looking at

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
I don't get what I'm looking at

Hurricane Irma is sucking the water away from shorelines

Hurricane Irma is sucking the water away from shorelines

Posted on September 9, 2017 at 9:42 PM
23391115-mmmain.jpg

A woman looks checks her phone while sitting on the beach in Hollywood, Florida, as the outer winds of Hurricane Irma creep ashore on Saturday, September 9, 2017. (Washington Post photo by Ricky Carioti)
2 shares
By The Washington Post

As a meteorologist, there are things you learn in textbooks that you may never see in person. You know they happen theoretically, but the chances of seeing the most extraordinary weather phenomena are slim to none.

This is one of those things - a hurricane strong enough to change the shape of an ocean.

Twitter user @Kaydi_K shared a video Saturday afternoon (Sept. 9), and even though it looked as though it couldn't be possible, it was absolutely legit.

"I am in disbelief right now. . ." she wrote. "This is Long Island, Bahamas and the ocean water is missing!!!"

I am in disbelief right now... This is Long Island, Bahamas and the ocean water is missing!!! That's as far as they see #HurricaneIrma wtf pic.twitter.com/AhPAonjO6s

-- #ForeverFlourish (@Kaydi_K) September 9, 2017
Basically, Hurricane Irma is so strong and its pressure is so low, it's sucking water from its surroundings into the core of the storm.

The wind on Long Island in the Bahamas is from the southeast to the northwest on Saturday. On the northwest side of the island, it would be blowing the water away from the shoreline.

It also may be experiencing the effects of what I call the hurricane "bulge." In the center of the storm, where there is extreme low pressure, water is drawn upward. Low pressure is basically a sucking mechanism - it sucks the air into it, and when it's really low, it can change the shape of the surface of the ocean. As the storm draws water toward the center, it gets pulled away from the surroundings.

In any case, this isn't the sign of a tsunami. The water will return to Long Island, and it probably won't rush back with any great force. It will probably be back by Sunday afternoon.

RammerJammer

#RollTide #TSC #RiseUp #BullsNation #RIPKobe
Daps
Reppin
Montgomery, Alabama
Y'all will be alright in Alabama. As is Georgia. Florida will take up most of the damage for the rest of the states. :smile:

I know but they're still forecasting gusts up to 70-80 mph in parts of East Alabama, with possible power outages. Schools and business closing tomorrow, guess they would rather be safe than sorry :manny:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)