Huge Empty Open World Games:Jimquistion

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
They made it even more open world??? I haven't been following up on that shyt. I thought ME 1 and 2 had the formula damn near perfect. Every world was pretty much a mission that lead up to an overarching story. I hope it don't become a huge amount of busy work disguised as "content."

It's basically Dragon Age Inquisition with a Mass Effect skin :scusthov:

How you gonna advertise doing fetch quests :gucci:

Anti-Anime

fukk u weeaboo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Not Japan
Fallout 4 had a great open world but it got travel wrong once you discover locations you just fast travel and no longer explore. I agree with the lack of a sense of urgency also. Dragon Age had a giant hole in the sky but you're supposed to find this mother fukker's goat.

Play on survival. :sas1:
But trust me u won't be too fond of exploring when it could mean getting ambushed by rust devils, getting killed and starting from ur last sleep :sas2:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The Witcher 3 really did a lot of the same kinda stuff, but just incorporated it in with better writing. many of those quests were, "I'll tell you where I last saw Ciri... after you help me"

Huh? :gucci:

Virtually none of the side quests had anything to do with Ciri. There was dozens of quests that had nothing to do with the main story, at all.

And even the quests that would get repetitive like the monster hunts had the built in excuse that it's Geralt's job, anyway.

"The Witcher 3" is probably over all the best designed open world game in history, in terms of size and the amount of things to do.

Fred.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

Virtually none of the side quests had anything to do with Ciri. There was dozens of quests that had nothing to do with the main story, at all.

And even the quests that would get repetitive like the monster hunts had the built in excuse that it's Geralt's job, anyway.

"The Witcher 3" is probably over all the best designed open world game in history, in terms of size and the amount of things to do.

Fred.
I was speaking on the main quests that pulled you away from the 'urgency' of finding Ciri

Ice Cold

King of Blades
Daps
My thoughts on this video (disclaimer I am a big ubisoft fan)
1. IT does seem strangely timed, like he had this tucked away fro awhile but just recently decided to upload it, he speak a lot about assassin creed syndicate but there wasn't even an assassins creed released this year. In fact I don't think he even referenced any thing in the video that hasn't been out for at least 6 months now. He also takes aim at the division but that open world was in fact very striking, seeing a completely abandoned new york city set a great atmosphere and back drop for the game imo. When you're first starting and see gang of baddies and you have to take cover because you don't know if they outleveled you it was a memorable experience, also the day night cycle, and weather added to the experience. Also Ubi appears to be learning to better curate the "content" in it's games if WD2 is any indication. No Towers, more focus on the actual main missions, letting you go around the map immediately, letting you fast travel immediately, and more side missions with actual story line.

2. It's interesting that he praises Witcher 3 and TES when they both are guilty of copy paste fetch quest, hell skyrim had the radiant quest which were "endless" in them, Witcher also had some copy/pasta quest as well. In fact I would argue that base witcher 3 is entirely too large for it's own good. There are so many side quests and activities it takes away from the main plot and imo made this game a step back from W2 story and pacing wise (not to mention combat but we'll get into that another time).

3. I think one big problem is the lack of delineation between side quest with story/production values and the copy/pasta trash. I was actually surprised that most all the side missions in WD2 had actual voice over work and most were multiparted. Right now I'm also playing FFXV and one thing I've been warned about is that some missions are just fetch quests and some of them are actually really good but it's hard to tell which is which. It's annoying because you don't want to miss out on good stuff and rewarding things but on the other hand you don't want to waste your time doing dumb stuff. I think that's tough thing to do in games because you don't want to say "these missions suck" but you also want to leave that in because some people enjoy it.

4. Overall I would say I've fallen out of love with open world games, I used to think I loved them after playing AC2 the first time, now I see that like anything they can be good or bad. I will say that it's difficulty to keep any sort of momentum going when there are endless non important side missions to do and at times you have to do them (looking at you AC syndicate). It's hard enough to keep a person interested in 20 hour game but when you bloat it to 40 with all these unrelated side quest it makes it even more difficult.

5. Often times I think an open world is adopted to hide other deficiencies or maybe it has the deficiencies because it's open world. Just look at GTA from 3 till now, all of them (well accept 4 maybe I never played it) have trash gunplay, when that after driving is probably the most common thing to do, I really thought that GTA V would take a page out of Max Payne 3 and have some really great gun play but you either had to choose to play whack a mole with aim assist or deal with a really sluggish aim :smh: or look at combat in skyrim, almost complete lack of feedback, someone likened it to fighting with a nerf sword and that seems apt. Hell look at one my favorite games this year WD2, the driving was absolutely horrendous, hell the gun play took a step back from WD1 in that games case.

6. I'm a bigger fan of Sand box games than open world games. After spending a lot of time with hitman I'll say this if MGSV had like 5-10 locales that were as intricate as Ground zeros it would have been my GOTY (well if it got rid of those dumb timers and crap as well), instead we got a big ass barren desert..... twice :dahell: I don't want to run around for 15 minutes just to get to the mission and run across some suckas on patrol, kill them go to fulton some guy but he's only level D so what's the point. But games like Hitman, Splinter cell Chaos theory or blacklist, dishonored (1 and 2), DE: MD and HR they give you a mission and tools and tell you have it. I love that! I'm not against procedural generation or anything like that but I prefer a handcrafted world with multiple entries and exits and that can be complete in multiple ways.

CACarot

Where is Princess Fajita
Daps
Reppin
SSJ God SSJ at -3000
Not understanding you people. Ofcourse side missions will take away from the urgency. That is the point, it's a side mission. Some are silly and dumb and others are serious and detailed. The mixture and not sure what you are signing up for is what makes side missions so appealing. I do get the open world is boring and empty complaints. The video is right about sandbox games making you collect various collectibles, invade enemy strongholds, and climb the highest points and disguise it as a well thought out world.

As another poster said Witcher is just as guilty as all other open world games, it just hid behind a little better writing. Lets not act like outside of that weird fetus baby mission you weren't just going to towns and playing GWEN, or tracking and killing a monster with your witcher senses.

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
I agree to a certain point, but here's the thing. Open world games are simply the current trend, especially this generation with the lack of memory restraints and the amount of shyt that can be put on one disk or downloaded off the internet after purchase. This, a lot of devs see others cashing in, but they do it in a lazy way. Filling up a big boring world win samesy, unimaginative collect a thons. I don't see it much different, however, how in the past every dev was trying to one up each other with the next smart Alec platformer protagonist to compete with MARIO or Sonic. Or after COD4 every single FPS had to be a modern take on warfare and pretty blatantly try to ride on their online MP wave, mostly failing along the way. Even Halo tried and failed there.

Trends get followed. This is the current trend. Of course there will be more sub par ones than excellent ones. It's just how the world works

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
This is what makes Skyrim, and GTA so good. Every area feels different, and there's always something to do in said locations. Again this is why I couldn't like FFFifteen...a whole lot of nothing, weak dungeon crawling, and repetitive hunting quests at the start. Which was weird since they had that in FFX but somehow it was more fun back then.

GodsPerspective

Superstar
Daps

Fred.
:gucci:
Achievement Unlocked- Unprecedented levels of fukkboy stannery
:hhh:

generic-username

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
I think Rockstar has mastered the art of making Open World games. I remember the first time I saw images and clips of Red Dead Redemption and I was like 'there is no way Rockstar can make a game with such empty, dry, desert like locale fun'.

Well sure enough the game is released and it turns out to be one of the best games ever.