Huge Empty Open World Games:Jimquistion

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

This seems more like a Ubisoft bashing video since they're often the main ones doing this but he makes some points about some devs starting to "homogenize" this formula of big open world games as a selling point under the guise of "content."

It seems like almost every dev is trying to 1up each other with the usual bullet points:

• Vast Open World
  • RPG Elements
  • FPS
It's grating. There's a reason why only few open world games are so well done e.g. GTA Series, Elder's Scroll/Fallout, Witcher etc. it's because these games are often made over the span of several years so they actually fill the game world with compelling, memorable locations, actual side missions that aren't just cookie cutter missions with generic objectives that feature mini stories etc. I see Zelda BOTW toting it's open world stuff but I hope with it's emphasis on big open world they actually took their time to make it organic and worth going through and not just the usual "destroy enemy base" type desing.

I tend to lose focus in open world games and not finish them because the game's typically lack urgency. It feels like everything is alright and peaches and cream. A major story beat came up but oh let me go to Ralph's and fetch some golden sesame sticks for him in some random dungeon. The 4th mission is ready to be played but let me just go climb this tower and destroy satellites.

I still think that Batman Arkham Asylum was the most fun batman game. Arkham City is still GOAT too but I think AA had me hooked all the time because it felt like I was just going through the Batman story and it was fun as hell to play.

TL;DR Rockstar is the king of making these open world games. Other devs need to stop trying to 1up each other and just focus on making a fun, memorable game without resorting to padding to fluff up hour count.

Last edited:

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Said the same thing about Mass Effect Andromeda pains me that they've incorporated this type of bullshyt into it :hhh:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Said the same thing about Mass Effect Andromeda pains me that they've incorporated this type of bullshyt into it :hhh:
They made it even more open world??? I haven't been following up on that shyt. I thought ME 1 and 2 had the formula damn near perfect. Every world was pretty much a mission that lead up to an overarching story. I hope it don't become a huge amount of busy work disguised as "content."

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
kind of a weirdly timed video, since it doesn't even mention recent examples like Watchdogs 2 and Mafia 3

I don't see any of it as a 'problem'. there's still plenty of linear games, and it's not like they're all inherently better

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
kind of a weirdly timed video, since it doesn't even mention recent examples like Watchdogs 2 and Mafia 3

I don't see any of it as a 'problem'. there's still plenty of linear games, and it's not like they're all inherently better
it's not open world in of it self as a problem, it's about the games that try and do it and do a bad job at it because it was rushed or w/e.

I heard WD2 was good.

Mafia 3 ehh Idk I have it but I've seen it(i haven't bothered playing) and it looks kind of meh.

It's not about what's better between linear or open world. That's too broad of a discussion. Either way there's no "right" answer as it boils down to opinions anyway :yeshrug:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
it's not open world in of it self as aproblem, it's the games that try and do it and do a bad job at it.

It's not about what's better between linear or open world.
games do a bad job at all kinds of stuff

I said it's weirdly timed because these criticisms of AC type open world games have been floating around for years. so much so, that we now have (derogatory) terms like "fetch quests". never the less, some people like that stuff. and for those that don't, there's plenty of other games out there

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
games do a bad job at all kinds of stuff

I said it's weirdly timed because these criticisms of AC type open world games have been floating around for years. so much so, that we now have (derogatory) terms like "fetch quests". never the less, some people like that stuff. and for those that don't, there's plenty of other games out there
I don't think it's more so about just "fetch quests" but more so to do with how some of the games in question pad the game with filler space that hurt the urgency and pacing, empty bland unmemorable locations and generic side quests all to make up the content bullet point.

I felt like GTA V set the bar high. Very few times playing did I feel like the side missions felt cheap. Even the tow truck missions felt like they were sort of important and not just "busy work". Plus the game is well designed, so many locations that are articulately designed.

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
I agree with some of the stuff he says like having these open world games with nothing to do in them after the story is complete. I also hate how I can't enter buildings I've already entered in a mission like in GTA, Watch Dogs, Mafia, etc... shyt pisses me off.

On the contrary, I rarely buy games that aren't open world anymore. I don't game online and FPS bore me. The only game that isn't open world that I've played in the past year is NBA 2K17.