How Xbox Became Microsoft's Greatest Failure

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
They talking about this gen right? The first OG Xbox and the 360 era was :whew:
The Xbox 360 had the RROD and is part of them never turning a profit in gaming as they spent so much money having rushed a product to market only to have it compromised and have to have all those expensive repairs. It's easily the most infamous unreliable product ever made. There's that and then Kinect. That was their biggest success but even then it was a wash.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
When it comes to consistently providing content for a subscription based service that's trying to get it's hooks in customers that's not going to be enough. If they were only focused on the traditional business model only it would be.

Even beyond that Microsoft has the issue of bleeding talent. They buy a company and the talent leaves gradually over time and either the company gets shut down or becomes a shell of it's former self. They're a lot like EA in that they cannibalize companies to continue their existence.

They have a real culture problem of seeming like everything is just a business transaction. When the Todd Howards and Tim Schafers inevitably leave who they gonna be left with? I genuinely think the developers at Sony and Nintendo are passionate to be there long term and see value in staying on. I genuinely think the developers at Microsoft are just collecting a check for a while and will end up leaving to do something they're actually passionate about.

There is a level of desperation at Sony and Nintendo that Microsoft will never relate to. For those two gaming has to work or it could damn well sink the company. Gaming will never be that important to Microsoft.

Which is why its funny when people are like “its not big deal if microsoft becomes dominate in gaming” it is a big deal because gaming isn’t their focus. Their position as a distant opposer benefits the industry just fine seeing as they’ve been that way for 20 years and are still in business. Microsoft just see gaming as a growth sector for their cloud initiative, not because they actually need it to thrive as a company.

If Nintendo or Sony were running their business in a distant 3rd like Microsoft has been they would probably be out of business, and thats going for the companies as a whole. Sony and Nintendo can’t survive without gaming, them being robbed of marketshare diminishes console gaming as a whole, Microsoft holding a leading position actually hurts the industry. If Microsoft becomes dominate in gaming there is really nothing else Sony or Nintendo could possibly do to fight back, where as Microsoft can get by relatively friction free as a loss leader.

People don’t know what they’re asking for by asking Microsoft to consolidate the industry further.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
There is a level of desperation at Sony and Nintendo that Microsoft will never relate to. For those two gaming has to work or it could damn well sink the company

Nintendo yes because that is all they do.

Sony no.

Gotta stop this false narrative that Playstation is like half of Sony's business and shyt. Simple annual financials lookup easily disproves this. Would it hurt? Yes. But put out of business is a complete cyse. It's like 28% of their revenue (last year).

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/21q4_sonypre.pdf (PAGE 12)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Nintendo yes because that is all they do.

Sony no.

Gotta stop this false narrative that Playstation is like half of Sony's business and shyt. Simple annual financials lookup easily disproves this. Would it hurt? Yes. But put out of business is a complete cyse. It's like 28% of their revenue (last year).

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/21q4_sonypre.pdf (PAGE 12)

Sony Interactive Entertainment is the 3rd pillar of Sonys primary revenue stream, and its still bigger than the others. Odds are if SIE ever failed the rest of Sony would be broken up and sold off. Which is why regulators are so protective of it.

This is also accounting for the fact that Playstation is the most consumer facing product Sony have. If PlayStation’s value diminished it would effect the rest of Sony’s business. Look how much cross-promotion is tied into Sony Pictures right now with Playstation, and how they market their TV’s and other hardware. Almost everything is linked back to Playstation in some way

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
When it comes to consistently providing content for a subscription based service that's trying to get it's hooks in customers that's not going to be enough. If they were only focused on the traditional business model only it would be.

Even beyond that Microsoft has the issue of bleeding talent. They buy a company and the talent leaves gradually over time and either the company gets shut down or becomes a shell of it's former self. They're a lot like EA in that they cannibalize companies to continue their existence.

They have a real culture problem of seeming like everything is just a business transaction. When the Todd Howards and Tim Schafers inevitably leave who they gonna be left with? I genuinely think the developers at Sony and Nintendo are passionate to be there long term and see value in staying on. I genuinely think the developers at Microsoft are just collecting a check for a while and will end up leaving to do something they're actually passionate about.

There is a level of desperation at Sony and Nintendo that Microsoft will never relate to. For those two gaming has to work or it could damn well sink the company. Gaming will never be that important to Microsoft.
:unimpressed: yall just be saying shyt. There's an entire docuseries on the Xbox team. You don't have to like their output but don't erroneously suggest they lack "passion."

Which is why its funny when people are like “its not big deal if microsoft becomes dominate in gaming” it is a big deal because gaming isn’t their focus. Their position as a distant opposer benefits the industry just fine seeing as they’ve been that way for 20 years and are still in business. Microsoft just see gaming as a growth sector for their cloud initiative, not because they actually need it to thrive as a company.

If Nintendo or Sony were running their business in a distant 3rd like Microsoft has been they would probably be out of business, and thats going for the companies as a whole. Sony and Nintendo can’t survive without gaming, them being robbed of marketshare diminishes console gaming as a whole, Microsoft holding a leading position actually hurts the industry. If Microsoft becomes dominate in gaming there is really nothing else Sony or Nintendo could possibly do to fight back, where as Microsoft can get by relatively friction free as a loss leader.

People don’t know what they’re asking for by asking Microsoft to consolidate the industry further.
:russell:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:unimpressed: yall just being saying shyt. There's an entire docuseries on the Xbox team. You don't have to like their output but don't erroneously suggest they lack "passion."

:russell:

Yes, a Microsoft produced documentary about their product shows how important said product is to their company.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
In here talking to y’all selves again.

Sony stans really are fukking crazy :mjlol:

We’re on a game discussion board discussing gaming with other people, what do you mean? Who should we be talking to?

And since when is @winb83 a Sony Stan? He’s the biggest contrarian on this site. When he’s constantly droning on about how microsoft needs to buy every publisher you’re all “amen” “preach brother” :blessed:

But now he’s a stan because he posted something you disagree with, thats still inline with his previous post about xbox needing to buy more companies because they stink on their own.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

In fairness, the bolded is less a Microsoft specific problem, and more of a corporate problem as a whole. The age of the AcquiHire is behind us, so really, these acquisitions are now primarily more about IP. These companies go into the acquisition knowing they're going to lose people through a variety of (self-created) redundancies, hurt feelings over org chart changes (or lack thereof), and people just wanting to work elsewhere, or do different work.

And ultimately, talent shifts around a lot in the industry, so it appears Microsoft's ultimate goal with some of their bigger gaming purchases is less about getting top talent directly, but more about getting access to properties and studio names that they think will attract talent to them.

That said, you are right that gaming will likely never be as important to Microsoft as it is to Sony or Nintendo. But while the gaming division has been the most consistent part of the company for Sony, I don't think it'd be a wrap for them if that part of the company somehow went over.

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
In here talking to y’all selves again.

Sony stans really are fukking crazy :mjlol:
honestly it became so insufferable to me that I stopped coming to arcadium. all people want to do is bicker and cheerlead. If that's the case then they should make separate subs for everyone's platform of choice. Suck senpai's dikk over there, far away from me.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
honestly it became so insufferable to me that I stopped coming to arcadium. all people want to do is bicker and cheerlead. If that's the case then they should make separate subs for everyone's platform of choice. Suck senpai's dikk over there, far away from me.
wahh wahh wahh

You just want cheerleading for zaddy. Suck Zaddy's dikk over there, far away from me.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
wahh wahh wahh

You just want cheerleading for zaddy. Suck Zaddy's dikk over there, far away from me.

Yeah, their console war cries always ring hollow to me when they don’t keep the same energy when titan, court, leasy, meach or even the OP are creating non-stop anti-playstation threads.

When it’s Xbox’s turn they always wanna cry foul and act like arcadium is anti-xbox

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I would love to actually have Xbox be competitive and stay that way. Both Sony and M$ have shown to make anti consumer moves when they are “winning”. Every time the other company was there to take advantage and hurt sales of the “winning” side.