How Xbox Became Microsoft's Greatest Failure

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Some hard truths in this video.

You'll likely never get an Xbox fanboy to admit it but the Xbox division as a whole is a complete and utter failure. Had it been any other company that made Xbox the division likely would be shuttered. 21 years in and Microsoft overall has never made an overall profit off the brand. They admitted that in the Epic vs Apple case. Has Microsoft in 21 years even internally developed a meaningful franchise in console gaming? I guess Forza but stuff like Gears of War came from Epic Games and Halo / Bungie concept predate Microsoft purchasing them. I guess I can maybe halfheartedly say Fable? Part of me wonders why Xbox is so special to Microsoft. This company did things like terminate Windows Phone but has continued to allow Xbox to exist bleeding billions from the balance sheet overall.

Despite all that gaming needs Xbox now more than ever. If they can't get this brand to be competitive again that's it. We will have a single company completely own the sector of the market they cater to answering only to themselves. Nintendo and Sony have different primary target customers and really aren't competing with each other, the crossover sectors of their audience have no issue being customers of both. No other company really wants to compete in console gaming anymore.

YouTube is just a prime example of why that's not a good thing.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Microsoft would be done with consoles if they could get Sony and Nintendo on board with game pass. They are preparing for dominance in that service that’s why they trying to buy all the publishers and developers as they can. But we will see how this plays out.

gamepass will be the ultimate death of the gaming industry. People are being short sighted about its effects in its early stages just like they were with music and video.

They are already talking about ad-based tiers, which will continue to seep into everything else like mobile gaming and the non-ad based tiers (which will also slowly implement ads) will only continue to skyrocket in price. If it becomes the dominant method of distribution people are gonna end up paying way more to play games then they are now subscribing to steampass, sonypass, nintendopass, gamepass, to play one of every popular game.

Microsoft introducing their shytty windows apps pricing structure into games will be the death kneel for innovation. Look at the mobile gaming landscape and how much money its making, that will eventually find its way more and more into console gaming. F2P, Subscriptions, MTX, Ad-Based gaming will be the gold rush of the next console generation and its starting now.

The less Microsoft owns the better.

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
gamepass will be the ultimate death of the gaming industry. People are being short sighted about its effects in its early stages just like they were with music and video.

They are already talking about ad-based tiers, which will continue to seep into everything else like mobile gaming and the non-ad based tiers (which will also slowly implement ads) will only continue to skyrocket in price. If it becomes the dominant method of distribution people are gonna end up paying way more to play games then they are now subscribing to steampass, sonypass, nintendopass, gamepass, to play one of every popular game.

Microsoft introducing their shytty windows apps pricing structure into games will be the death kneel for innovation
I agree I’m not a fan of game pass in that regard. The quality of games will also be at stake under this model as well. We all now Sony will eventually follow suit to match game pass identically I feel Nintendo will keep shyt as traditional as they can until they are forced to do a subscription service.

This is honestly why I’ve been gaming on pc all the older games I don’t have to pay no service for and don’t have to worry about paying for online. Someone will create and find away to get these games for free if they go the subscription route.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY

poster,504x498,f8f8f8-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Would be dope if Microsoft could be competitive with the 18 studios they bought over the last 4 years.
When it comes to consistently providing content for a subscription based service that's trying to get it's hooks in customers that's not going to be enough. If they were only focused on the traditional business model only it would be.

Even beyond that Microsoft has the issue of bleeding talent. They buy a company and the talent leaves gradually over time and either the company gets shut down or becomes a shell of it's former self. They're a lot like EA in that they cannibalize companies to continue their existence.

They have a real culture problem of seeming like everything is just a business transaction. When the Todd Howards and Tim Schafers inevitably leave who they gonna be left with? I genuinely think the developers at Sony and Nintendo are passionate to be there long term and see value in staying on. I genuinely think the developers at Microsoft are just collecting a check for a while and will end up leaving to do something they're actually passionate about.

There is a level of desperation at Sony and Nintendo that Microsoft will never relate to. For those two gaming has to work or it could damn well sink the company. Gaming will never be that important to Microsoft.