How would you make Arcades mainstream again?

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
It would have to be something marketed to teens and adults. Like others have said, I think fighting games would do well. So would beat em ups. I think anything with a focus on multiple players would do good. It would also have to be an experience. So a place where you can eat and take a date. Not so much like Dave and Busters, but more like a local bar that has good food. Something like the former Way Station in Brooklyn, or My Parent's Basement in Georgia. Something with quiz night, movie nights, fighting game competitions. They couldn't be like how they were before, simply because of the fact that arcades are were you got the most powerful good looking games. That's not the case anymore. So there would have to be a focus on the social aspect that gets people out of the house.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I'm a fighting game player. Our scene made a deal to run tournaments in Dave and Busters a decade ago

After 3 weeks they kicked us out that bytch :dead: .

My posts in this thread are from firsthand experience of all this and I know that fighting game players don't spend money breh. Dave and Busters is not missing KOF or Samurai Showdown cabinets

There may be a way to have a fighting game arcade in 2022, but that shyt has proven to be overwhelmingly difficult

Dave and Busters as it stands now is a family and fun/date spot. Replace everything in there with fighting games and that shyt will close in a month:russ:
Yeah, you can't put all the eggs in one basket. If you did a FG night once a week or so as a weekly tournament, but balanced that out with stuff like madden tournaments, board game nights, quiz nights, etc. You can get more diversity that way and you could eat off the foot traffic and regulars cuz they'll get drinks and food and all that.

Daps
Remove the coins make them contactless

Allow optional controllers in USB ports for accessibility

Include prizes for high scores

Have exclusive content that you can take home with you by inserting an SD card Fzero AX style

Be more powerful than console versions 4k-8k 120fps

Include more expensive peripherals that allow haptic feedback and VR

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
If arcade games had internet connectivity and ability to cross platform with Sony or Microsoft networks for multi players thatd be helpful

A lot of good ideas in here and some arcades are doing well. Problem is in the past it was a dope place to waste time with access to games you may not have had. Other tech has replaced that main arcade purpose. For a traditional arcade to work without many upgrades it's all about location. Has to be high traffic area with popular businesses that require people to spend a lot of time there so people accompanying them have something to do rather than standing or sitting around looking stupid

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
I think the following could work
  • Focus primarily on Fighting games (old and new), racing cabinets, light gun / shooters
  • Approach MSFT or Sony (or even sega) with the idea of an Xbox live or PSN cabinet which allows someone to play specific games on those platforms, on an arcade cabinet. I purchased a lot of classic arcade games after I got an arcade stick a while ago, even old neo Geo games like metal slug and old beat em ups.
  • Partner with a specific pc maker to make a easily produced standard high performance PC for network gaming, and announce when new games are installed, and partner with developers to premier games (like, imagine if the new GTA or Street fighter 6 world premier was at your local arcade)
Agreed. You'd have to add Sega classics like Afterburner. My Pop's who's in in 60's used to play it in the arcade with us back in the day & I guarantee if one was available locally for him; he'd still play

iu

Sega's Psy Phi which came out around 2005/06 which required you to use the screen as a touch pad. They pulled the cabinets because people were complaining about their finger tips. With smartphones being a regular thing now, this could possibly do well

iu

iu

Sega R360

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
I used to go to gameworks in the Ontario mills regularly in the 2010s. Thursday I think it was like $8 you can play every game. Used to relive my childhood on crazy taxi and some of the other shyt. Black dude that worked at the bar used to hook it up with the food.

:mjcry:shyt is an under armour outlet now.