How would you make Arcades mainstream again?

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Specialization and curation is what matters most. You can't just have a building full of arcade cabinets like 1995 if that's what you mean

Arcades still exist but in a different format. Arcade bars poppin all over the country. Same for places like Dave and Busters

If games are your ONLY thing you're gonna have a hard time. I've seen it personally. The games need to be peripheral to food and alcohol

Jcotton1

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Heck it's one near me. If You a gamer you gonna come through. Just throw some vintage joints out and some new stuff and chill. Just modernize Chuckie Cheese.

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Orlando FL has an awesome Arcade bar filled with the classics, and console gaming
its called Player 1 Arcade Bar
open a chain of these

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Just put me on the sticks. Once ppl see me knocking nikkas teeth to the back of they head w/ hella rekkas in 3rd strike they gon come in droves

skeptical-futurama.gif

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
If we're talking a straight arcade experience without a bar or something else attached, I'd plan it around a bunch of high end PCs that cater to the most popular online games.

COD, Apex, Valorant, CS:GO, Fortnite, GTA, Rocket League, Minecraft, Fall Guys, etc., plus the major sports games.

It would have to be some type of subscription service too. Daily passes as well as monthly and yearly.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Specialization and curation is what matters most. You can't just have a building full of arcade cabinets like 1995 if that's what you mean

Arcades still exist but in a different format. Arcade bars poppin all over the country. Same for places like Dave and Busters

If games are your ONLY thing you're gonna have a hard time. I've seen it personally. The games need to be peripheral to food and alcohol
I think you can find a way to stand out without being a bar first and arcade second, but yeah games alone are tough to bank on.

I've seen one in orlando that had arcade games and home consoles but was also a hookah lounge, they'd host madden tournaments and things like that for a big turnout.

So there's ways to get it done for sure

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
If we're talking a straight arcade experience without a bar or something else attached, I'd plan it around a bunch of high end PCs that cater to the most popular online games.

COD, Apex, Valorant, CS:GO, Fortnite, GTA, Rocket League, Minecraft, Fall Guys, etc., plus the major sports games.

It would have to be some type of subscription service too. Daily passes as well as monthly and yearly.

If VR gets poppin i could see something along those lines considering how expensive it is to get into for a lot of people. It would also help sell units for google, valve, and sony and make it far more popular.

Even Meta Quest is 400 dollars for the base model and the games aren’t that great looking. Who wouldn’t want to pay a couple bucks for a shared VR experience? You could probably fit a lot of them into the size of a typical arcade also

shyt, I’ve been dying to try out a high quality VR game but im not dropping crazy money to do it until PSVR2 comes out

Lord Bison

Superstar
Daps
Arcades are poppin here in Dallas. Look up free play, cidercade

Every weekend pack nut to butt :dame:

I came here to say exactly this. Arcades out in Dallas is poppin like a mf out here. If you into that scene, Dallas is where it's at.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
i forgot, there is another one in AZ called 'the hot chick' that has upper-middle class women, fried chicken, old games/pinball, and celebrity appearances

the epitome of a no frills arcade that is succeeding is probably galloping ghost in chicago

Last edited:

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I came here to say exactly this. Arcades out in Dallas is poppin like a mf out here. If you into that scene, Dallas is where it's at.
yuhhhh the arcade scene in dallas is very surprising. the first one i knew of was barcadia off henderson, it was cool whatevers, they had old stuff. now they have a lot popping up and the arcades games are brand new with new games created in 2020. i try to avoid it now cuz its way too packed

hotbeezie

Go Dawgzz!!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
It don’t help that Arcade1up got people building arcades in their crib.

:wow:

All I need is SF2 big blue, MVC2 , and NFL Blitz
:blessed:

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Here is what works at Gameworks in Seattle:
  • A sizable bar and restaurant
  • Mostly racing cabinets, fighting games, and shoot em up / light gun games. Those are unique arcade experiences you can't replicate at home
  • An entire area for LAN play and pc gaming
  • Space for events / groups
  • Kid games

For the record there are like 5-10 arcades here and they are all bar attached, and the others are targeted to young adults mostly
Yeah I was gonna say the only thing that’s keeping arcades relevant are arcade bars. I’ve been to Gameworks in Seattle, and they have 10+ in the Bay Area as well, they’re always a fun time.

There’s one in SF that even has monthly wrestling events inside the bar, and Oakland has a alcohol-less video game museum where every game showcased (10k+) is playable during your time there.

More towns should hop on the wave. A kids arcade during the day, bar or nightclub at night.