How Will Sony Recover?

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
CEO shuffling, losing billions of dollars, PS Vita flopping left and right , Credit rating downgraded, Tv sales looking :flabbynsick:, idk brehs it might be the beginning of the end :manny:

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
Damn never thought about it but they are looking bad...

They need to reel it in and stick with what they are truly good at... stuff like phones can be eliminated from their portfolio

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
Damn never thought about it but they are looking bad...

They need to reel it in and stick with what they are truly good at... stuff like phones can be eliminated from their portfolio
yea, they might have to retool their business practices.. or revamp them period. the overpriced, ok-solid quality model(TV specifically) no longer works in the 21st century unless your name is apple.

and wtf was that game phone they released :huhldup:

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Sony is clearly stretching themselves too thin, I think they need to get out of the phone and PC game, streamline their lineup somehow.

They can stay in the PC game, but they ARE stretching themselves too thin and they've fallen out of favor with the consumer market. Trust me, I worked as a sales floor manager for a Sony Style Store in Lenox Mall, Atlanta from 09 until I joined the army in early 2010. Coming from working at Best Buy the last 3 years was like night/day. Sony's business model is archaic, poorly planned, and revoltingly executed. We're in the middle of a recession in 2009 and Sony marks the price of thier computers UP because they think they can compete with Apple??!??! :leostare: They still think their products carry the same kind mystique that Apple's does, which is simply not true. NO BRAND of technology currently carries the same mindshare and social command that Apple does, attempting to emulate them is futile. Attempting to match them is an exercise in stupidity. You have to utilize the STRENGTHS of your brand WITHOUT out pricing the consumer. Billy, who has 2 kids, a wife, and a mortgage isn't splurging $2000 on a Sony Laptop that has the SAME specifications as the $799 Toshiba he saw at Best Buy. If he's going to Splurge $2000, in HIS mind he might as well go buy the fancy new MacBook with Retina Display, HD Front Facing Camera, and OSX (Apple does a superb job of advertising their features as the best thing since sliced bread)

Sony needs to DROP out of the phone business ASAP. I cannot begin to tell, you what a chore attempting to sell their piece of garbage Sony Erickson phones were (coming from somebody who was once a lead salesmen at Best Buy Mobile ) their phones are little more than crap. They need to re-price and restructure their Bravia Television line so that they don't have so many useless variations. They really need no more than 10 different variations, and really only need 6 that are store showcases and 4 can be special order (3D models). The same needs to be done with the Cybershot Camera/Camcorder line.

The most IMPORTANT thing that needs to change is the way they've completely b*stardized the Playstation franchise. They need to right ALOT of wrongs, the PS3 was too expensive at launch. The PSP Go was too expensive and was a failure. The Vita is too expensive and suffers from a lack of enticing games (didn't even have PS1 ready at launch:dead:) the Vita needs a price drop to $199 like yesterday and they had BETTER aggressively price the PS4 or their looking at certain failure.

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
They can stay in the PC game, but they ARE stretching themselves too thin and they've fallen out of favor with the consumer market. Trust me, I worked as a sales floor manager for a Sony Style Store in Lenox Mall, Atlanta from 09 until I joined the army in early 2010. Coming from working at Best Buy the last 3 years was like night/day. Sony's business model is archaic, poorly planned, and revoltingly executed. We're in the middle of a recession in 2009 and Sony marks the price of thier computers UP because they think they can compete with Apple??!??! :leostare: They still think their products carry the same kind mystique that Apple's does, which is simply not true. NO BRAND of technology currently carries the same mindshare and social command that Apple does, attempting to emulate them is futile. Attempting to match them is an exercise in stupidity. You have to utilize the STRENGTHS of your brand WITHOUT out pricing the consumer. Billy, who has 2 kids, a wife, and a mortgage isn't splurging $2000 on a Sony Laptop that has the SAME specifications as the $799 Toshiba he saw at Best Buy. If he's going to Splurge $2000, in HIS mind he might as well go buy the fancy new MacBook with Retina Display, HD Front Facing Camera, and OSX (Apple does a superb job of advertising their features as the best thing since sliced bread)

Sony needs to DROP out of the phone business ASAP. I cannot begin to tell, you what a chore attempting to sell their piece of garbage Sony Erickson phones were (coming from somebody who was once a lead salesmen at Best Buy Mobile ) their phones are little more than crap. They need to re-price and restructure their Bravia Television line so that they don't have so many useless variations. They really need no more than 10 different variations, and really only need 6 that are store showcases and 4 can be special order (3D models). The same needs to be done with the Cybershot Camera/Camcorder line.

The most IMPORTANT thing that needs to change is the way they've completely b*stardized the Playstation franchise. They need to right ALOT of wrongs, the PS3 was too expensive at launch. The PSP Go was too expensive and was a failure. The Vita is too expensive and suffers from a lack of enticing games (didn't even have PS1 ready at launch:dead:) the Vita needs a price drop to $199 like yesterday and they had BETTER aggressively price the PS4 or their looking at certain failure.
cosign everything you said, Sony's tv line is priced as if they are a high quality model when in reality they're probably the 5th best selection available if that.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
long as they sell blu-rays for 29.99 and make them for 13 cent, they'll be alright.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ

This is true, but my reasoning for getting out of the PC game is that for the reasons you mentioned. They are too expensive to be an everyman PC maker and don't have enough PC street cred to even come close to compete with Apple's luxury brand prices.

+rep for your elaboration upon said points

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
This is true, but my reasoning for getting out of the PC game is that for the reasons you mentioned. They are too expensive to be an everyman PC maker and don't have enough PC street cred to even come close to compete with Apple's luxury brand prices.

+rep for your elaboration upon said points

The thing is this, they make a good product. But nobody pays premium anymore for a GOOD product. It's either gotta be marketed as some next level, gotta have, piece of the future (as Apple does) as well as back that claim UP (as Apple does) Sony could easily outsell the likes of Hp, Toshiba, and Asus in the PC market if they put their prices in a respectable range. People would RATHER purchase a Sony as the name still has merit, but Sony is of the opinion that that merit is more valuable than it is, which is where their laughably wrong. If Sony's PC's were both expensive AND shytty quality (like their phones:shaq2:) I'd say they need to quit, but their problem in that market as well as the Television market isnt quality so much as out pricing themselves out of the everyday consumers wallet.

NOBODY is going to sell technology at a premium these days except Apple. The industry needs to accept that and quit trying to compete. Do you know that Sony's initial plan to combat the iPad was the Sony Daily Edition E-reader?:comeon: they ACTUALLY wanted us to sell customers on this black& white e-ink device that couldn't browse the Internet, didn't have an app store, and a 5 inch screen was going to go up against the fukking IPAD!!??!?? The shyt was crazy.....