Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
244617341_234982658664670_6043346043960664910_n.jpg

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Biden has worked across the aisle to get numerous things done.

But there are certain things within his agenda that dems will have to go it alone and that's to be expected.

It seems you're creating a strawman here.
Straw man? I didnt make him run his mouth about a bunch of stuff he knew he couldn’t get done without republicans. I didn’t tell him to talk about George Floyd policing act, voting rights, i owe you black people and all that.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Straw man? I didnt make him run his mouth about a bunch of stuff he knew he couldn’t get done without republicans. I didn’t tell him to talk about George Floyd policing act, voting rights, i owe you black people and all that.
:mjlol:

Black people benefited from the Covid stimulus.
They will benefit from the BBB and BIF as well.
Plenty of black folks have benefited from the various types of student loan relief.

He's on track to pass two major bills with bipartisan support and a third that fulfills a lot of his campaign promises all in the first year.

You sound very negative Nancy sir. :yeshrug:

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
He doesn't have the senate. They say he does but Bernie Sanders isnt a democrat and their alleged majority leans on Joe Manchin or worse. He has no clear path to get stuff done. The house margin is razor thin. He's clearly gonna be stalled out in year 1 and 2 and year 3 and 4 will be beyond worthless.

:unimpressed:

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol:

Black people benefited from the Covid stimulus.
They will benefit from the BBB and BIF as well.
Plenty of black folks have benefited from the various types of student loan relief.

He's on track to pass two major bills with bipartisan support and a third that fulfills a lot of his campaign promises all in the first year.

You sound very negative Nancy sir. :yeshrug:
How did i know you would being up covid relief. Thank you joe biden and trump for the handouts but that ain’t no tangible. Maybe blacks folks should start checking the Asian box since they can get laws on the books.

you can call it negative, but I’m not a Democrat boot kicker.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Thread:

Thread by @grapesmoker on Thread Reader App

since we're doing race and elections discourse again i want to say, predictably, that the shor-yglesias consensus on this is stupid and unworkable even by their own standards. it's wrong because it's fundamentally unresponsive to the conditions under which politics happens today
the basic idea of shor-yglesias thought is that democrats should "lower the salience" of race in elections. they both say this outright, shor explicitly says he wants to go back to the halcyon days of obama 2012. that won't, *can't* work
(this isn't my gloss, this is their own words)
the most basic problem that this runs into is that race is just this huge axis around which just about everything in american history turns. if you want to know why X is the way it is for almost any value of X, a likely reason is racism
because it's such a huge gravitational attractor in the political space, so to speak, everything orbits it. things that (ostensibly) have nothing to do with race become racialized in short order
housing, transit, medical care, finance, climate. you name it, there's a racial cleavage around it. who gets the benefits and who eats the shyt is determined in large part by race and, of course, class, which is itself racialized in various ways
this plays very well into the conservative electioneering logic, which is to constantly tell white people that they're being robbed to give free stuff undeserving black people. we're in god knows what decade of this shyt now and it just ratchets up every year
the idea that somehow democrats can just unilaterally reverse this trends or affect this strategy is, to put it in the kindest possible terms, wishful thinking. it's completely disconnected from reality
this is not, of course, to say that broadly speaking democrats should not try to enact universal programs that benefit everyone. it's just to say that those programs will themselves become racialized as long as racism wins enough elections
"but but obama 2012"

the context in which barack obama ran against romney in the 2012 election is wildly different than the context in which the politics of the present day is happening. like, I don't think i need to elaborate more on this, it should be obvious
joe biden is about as close to an obama 2012 as you can get! he was there! and peep what the right wing reaction is. this machine only runs in one direction and it's not responsive to input from the left
furthermore while it's nice to think about obama 2012 there was also obama 2010 and 2014 and that... did not work out, to say the least! like, why are we pretending that we didn't all live this experiment in real time
on top of all of this, you cannot ask for the votes of the affected groups and then tell them to fukk off after. well, you *could* but we have now seen where that gets you. so if your black constituents ask you what you've done for them either you lie and lose them or...
you answer honestly and provide further grist for the right-wing mill. except if you do the first part the mill will just find some other thing to grind into white grievance. you can't win by pandering to it
SY thought would be objectionable even if one could count on it to work, but it's a failure even on its own terms. it's a dead end as a political project. nobody is listening to any of this, the events are too far ahead of them
there are no magic incantations or "strategies" that are going to allow you to navigate past the part where you have to actually *do politics* by exercising whatever power you have. SY imagine that words can substitute for action, but they can't
i mean, dems *have* the trifecta and they're allowing it to be wrecked by shytheels like machin and sinema and gottheimer instead of imposing party discipline. they can't even herd their own cats and they're going to somehow "muzzle" (that word!) activists?! come the fukk on
i don't know what to say, i don't have any magical answers either, my hot take is do the best you can with what you got but we're not even doing that. solving tertiary problems like "some activist is saying defund the police and i don't like it" is just fantasy
i guess my last point is that it doesn't matter what we say on the bird app or what white papers get written at brookings, none of that is going to get ahead of the actual change that's happening before our eyes
we're riding a complicated secular process & we don't really understand all the ways in which it evolves. i get the feeling of disorientation and the need to form some sort of theory to make sense of it, but thinking you're going to get a grip on this tiger is delusional