How the autobiography of a Muslim slave is challenging an American narrative

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
1.Mande tribes are in large Patriarchal so you are who your father is.
2.My Ancestors who Migrated from Mali through Guinea to Liberia were Dan. I could have had some Mandingo ancestors sure, but as far as the last 150 or so years my Bloodline is that of men from the Dan tribe.

The divergence of my tribe, tribes like the Kpelle, etc. from the likes of the Mandingo is something that probably happened 1 thousand plus years ago.

I see what you are saying now. You are specifically referring to a tribe called the Mandingos, while I am stating that even though your tribe has a new name of Dan; the Dan are still Mandingos, because their origins are that of subjects of Mali.

Even if you took a DNA test you are still going to see Mandingo and Mali pop to the top just like it does for me as an African American, who maternally is Mende and paternally is Bissa. On Ancestry DNA I am even related to three women (5th to 8th cousins) that are 100% Mandingo from Senegal/Gambia, Mali and the Ivory Coast. Think about it; my folks have not been in Africa in hundreds of years and they had likely scattered from Mali centuries before then, yet my DNA is still popping with those three Mandingo women.

So like I stated I am not sure that we are not necessarily saying different things, but now I realize that you actually mean just that one specific group of people that actually call themselves Mandingos.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I see what you are saying now. You are specifically referring to a tribe called the Mandingos, while I am stating that even though your tribe has a new name of Dan; the Dan are still Mandingos, because their origins are that of subjects of Mali.

Even if you took a DNA test you are still going to see Mandingo and Mali pop to the top just like it does for me as an African American, who maternally is Mende and paternally is Bissa. On Ancestry DNA I am even related to three women (5th to 8th cousins) that are 100% Mandingo from Senegal/Gambia, Mali and the Ivory Coast. Think about it; my folks have not been in Africa in hundreds of years and they had likely scattered from Mali centuries before then, yet my DNA is still popping with those three Mandingo women.

So like I stated I am not sure that we are not necessarily saying different things, but now I realize that you actually mean just that one specific group of people that actually call themselves Mandingos.

I'm saying Mande is the proper term when speaking at the Ethnic level. To people in Africa, saying Mandingo = Tribe. It's like the Fulani people. Fulani is an ethnic group made up of various sub groups. In Nigeria you have Husa-Fulani are are farmers, in some places you have Fulbe people, in Liberia/Guinea you have Fula people are are a merchant people, all belonging to the Fulani ethnic group.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm saying Mande is the proper term when speaking at the Ethnic level. To people in Africa, saying Mandingo = Tribe. It's like the Fulani people. Fulani is an ethnic group made up of various sub groups. In Nigeria you have Husa-Fulani are are farmers, in some places you have Fulbe people, in Liberia/Guinea you have Fula people are are a merchant people, all belonging to the Fulani ethnic group.

Then we are saying the same thing, because at the end of the day they are all Fulani. They are called different things in different regions. Their language differences are probably due to the language of the people that they are nearest, because a Hausa Fulani in Nigeria or in Cameroon is likely to have language differences than a Fula person in Guinea. I get the fact that they have different names though.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The history of black writing has taken many twists and turns over the last few centuries; but never have I encountered a more complex, exciting, and perplexing example of it as I did last summer. As a 20th century scholar, I seldom encounter "novelty" forms of writing. My academic interests rarely call me out of the library or office.

But to trace black writing in America prior to the Civil War is often an exercise in futility-especially within the context of enslaved Africans. While free blacks certainly produced and published varying pieces of writing, the large majority of African Americans were enslaved in a system that largely prohibited literacy. But, ever so often, scholars will stumble across examples of literacy that date back to this period, and they are often surprising.

I spent two weeks this summer in Savannah, Georgia at the Georgia Historical Society for a National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Institute. While there, we took a trip to the First African Baptist Church of Savannah. This church's history dates back to the 1770's, but has occupied the current building since 1859. The church has been masterfully preserved, including the original pews in the balcony.

When we first walked up into the balcony, the first thing I noticed (besides the change in temperature) was that nearly every pew (40+) contained very curious etchings on the side. The historian leading us through the church noted that while no one had attempted to translate the pews, he believed the carvings were written in West African Arabic. The pews themselves predate the 1850 building-they were transported from the previous church building once the new building was acquired. While the language of origin is certainly speculative (he noted that others believed it is an example of "cursive Hebrew"), I was amazed that no one had even attempted to translate the carvings.

image-8.jpg

With so few examples of enslaved African writings available, these etchings contain potentially valuable information concerning the life and culture of enslaved Africans. I was, to put it bluntly, simply dumbfounded that no scholar had attempted to translate these. For anyone that reads this blog, please think if you know someone who might be able to recognize these carvings and forward this post on!

ProjectHBW: Reflections on an NEH Summer Institute

The solid oak pews were installed in the main sanctuary during the early 1900's under the leadership of the 7th Pastor Reverend James Wesley Carr. The pews located in the balcony are original to the church. These pews were made by enslaved Africans, and are nailed into the floors. On the outside of some of the pews are writings done in a classical West African Arabic script from the 1800s.

History: First African Baptist Church

Some historic pieces were left untouched during the restoration, such as the pews the church says are carved with West African Arabic script, one of the earliest forms of writing. The original sanctuary still is dotted with holes that were arranged in the shape of an African prayer symbol of life, death and rebirth, according to the church's website. It was those holes that allowed runaway slaves to breathe as they traveled along the Underground Railroad and stopped at the church, according to the newspaper.

Black church believed to be oldest in US finishes repairs