How the autobiography of a Muslim slave is challenging an American narrative

Daps
Interesting how many of the captured slaves were Muslims but it seems like most AA today are Christians and Islam is extremely foreign to them when most likely their ancestors were Muslim :ohhh:

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Definitely agree with that

This is not conclusive evidence but from the DNA videos I see from African descendants in the Americas Senegambia is always extremely low compared to other regions

I don't think they have enough samples from enough people to conclude that as of yet. I don't think that people realize how few samples that these DNA companies actually utilize to come up with their results. They literally only have a few thousand samples for comparisons for the entirety of Africa, which almost has a billion people. So you already know that they don't have samples for ethnic groups that live way out in small towns in places like Senegal and Gambia. Another place that they don't test a lot is in Guinea Conakry and Guinea Bissau, because if they did then more African Americans are going to show up in those results.

Another major area for Muslim slaves that nobody thinks about is in Northern Ivory Coast, Northern Ghana, Northern Togo, Northern Benin, Northern Nigeria and the modern countries of Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso. Those areas produced a lot of slaves that were brought to the Americas.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Interesting how many of the captured slaves were Muslims but it seems like most AA today are Christians and Islam is extremely foreign to them when most likely their ancestors were Muslim :ohhh:

Islam is not foreign to African Americans, because it existed in their churches through modern times but they just didn't know it. I still remember old Black women wearing head wraps and hats in Baptist Church. I still remember the Mother Board being on one side of the Church and the Deacon Board being on the opposite side of the Church; and then when the service started the men would filter in and sit behind the Deacon Board and the women and children would filter in and sit behind the Mother Board, which seems to be very similar to what they do in Mosques. The Dr. Watts stuff is definitely a call to prayer in Islam, which is how quite a few Baptist Churches started their services on a Sunday morning when I was a kid, which is when an old man on the Deacon Board would get up and start singing that song and everybody in the Church would follow his lead and join in. When that song started that is when everybody knew that Church had started. Another thing is that African Americans are really socially conservative just like Muslims, but nobody even notices it.

Historically the reason that many African Americans are not aware of their Muslim ancestors is because some of the slave masters forced the slaves to convert to Christianity, because Islam had Jihads and rebellions and stuff that was not conducive to slavery. So the slaves hid their religion in plan sight and pretended to be Christians, when in fact many were still Muslims and they overlay their Muslim traditions inside of the Baptist Church. African American even kept naming their children Muslim/Arabic names like Omar, etc. That is why the Nation of Islam is not foreign to most African American, even if they don't know why.

Last edited:
Daps
Islam is not foreign to African Americans, because it existed in their churches through modern times but they just didn't know it. I still remember old Black women wearing head wraps and hats in Baptist Church. I still remember the Mother Board being on one side of the Church and the Deacon Board being on the opposite side of the Church; and then when the service started the men would filter in and sit behind the Deacon Board and the women and children would filter in and sit behind the Mother Board, which seems to be very similar to what they do in Mosques. The Dr. Watts stuff is definitely a call to prayer in Islam, which is how quite a few Baptist Churches started their services on a Sunday morning when I was a kid, which is when an old man on the Deacon Board would get up and start singing that song and everybody in the Church would follow his lead and join in. When that song started that is when everybody knew that Church had started. Another thing is that African Americans are really socially conservative just like Muslims, but nobody even notices it.

Historically the reason that many African Americans are not aware of their Muslim ancestors is because some of the slave masters forced the slaves to convert to Christianity, because Islam had Jihads and rebellions and stuff that was not conducive to slavery. So the slaves hid their religion in plan sight and pretended to be Christians, when in fact many were still Muslims and they overlay their Muslim traditions inside of the Baptist Church. African American even kept naming their children Muslim/Arabic names like Omar, etc. That is why the Nation of Islam is not foreign to most African American, even if they don't know why.

I always wondered why AA had Muslim names but it makes sense.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I always wondered why AA had Muslim names but it makes sense.

The names came with them from West Africa. Some of the names were on slave roles and draft/muster records during the American revolution. Names like Bailey (Bilali), Kadeshia, Fatima, Phyllis (FIli), Salem (Saleem), Yusuf (Joseph), etc.

SonnyEMC

Pro
Daps
What you are responding is how the Yoruba people were likely exposed to Islam. What we were discussing is how strange it seemed that they were referred to as Male (Mali/Mande), when they were actually Yoruba people. However, in my initial post I mentioned the Yoruba set off the the Male revolt, but I forgot about the Hausa.

https://www.thecoli.com/posts/33502574/

I believe Islam came to the Yoruba by multiple sources at multiple times, the first being from Kanemi influence. The trade of the Kola nut was an important catalyst.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Definitely agree with that

This is not conclusive evidence but from the DNA videos I see from African descendants in the Americas Senegambia is always extremely low compared to other regions

Like @Samori Toure said very low samples. However, when it comes to ADOS/AAs it depends on the region because the Carolinas shows a lot of Senegambian in DNA results.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
A bit offtopic. But if you watched the Zo Williams show, there's a guy named Kevin on there who talked about this stuff. He would say often that black people (AAs) shouldn't refer to themselves as 'black' people. Legally, it's meaningless. They should be referring themselves as Moors.

Now this thread makes what he said make more sense now. :ohhh:

Supper

All Star
Daps
A bit offtopic. But if you watched the Zo Williams show, there's a guy named Kevin on there who talked about this stuff. He would say often that black people (AAs) shouldn't refer to themselves as 'black' people. Legally, it's meaningless. They should be referring themselves as Moors.

Now this thread makes what he said make more sense now. :ohhh:

Sounds like a huge reach.

Picking out one of the many terms that europeans have used to refer to black people, black muslims, and/or certain ethnic groups at one point in history which has had a variety of different meanings in different places & time periods, like moors, and calling ourselves that today would make about as much sense as calling ourselves guineas or ethiopians.

Legally, the term "moor" has even less meaning. That's just MSTA/sovereign citizen mumbo jumbo.

Last edited:

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Sounds like a huge reach.

Picking out one of the many terms that europeans have used to refer to black people, black muslims, and/or certain ethnic groups at one point in history which has had a variety of different meanings in different places & time periods, like moors, and calling ourselves that today would make about as much sense as calling ourselves guineas or ethiopians.

Fair point. Though IIRC, according to Kevin, the term Moor came from the reference to Morocco. Morocco was a major power during those times. So the European and American powers were by law not allowed to enslaved anyone who claimed to be a Moor.

How true is that? I dunno.:hubie:

MSTA/sovereign citizen mobo jumbo.

I'll just assume that MSTA does not stand for Missouri State Teachers Association. :francis:

Supper

All Star
Daps
Fair point. Though IIRC, according to Kevin, the term Moor came from the reference to Morocco. Morocco was a major power during those times. So the European and American powers were by law not allowed to enslaved anyone who claimed to be a Moor.

How true is that? I dunno.:hubie:

This is the treaty they usually base their conspiracy on.

Moroccan–American Treaty of Friendship - Wikipedia

Avalon Project - The Barbary Treaties 1786-1816 - Treaty with Morocco June 28 and July 15, 1786

As you can see it has nothing to do with that.

I'll just assume that MSTA does not stand for Missouri State Teachers Association. :francis:

Moorish Science Temple of America - Wikipedia

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Like @Samori Toure said very low samples. However, when it comes to ADOS/AAs it depends on the region because the Carolinas shows a lot of Senegambian in DNA results.

I will go a step further and state that the people that are in a region today that are being tested for DNA are not necessarily the same people that were in that region 500 to 1,000 years ago. A lot of Senegambian moved further South generations ago to avoid the spreading of the desert and Islam. Case in point are the Akan people. They are from the Empire of Ghana, which as we know was in the modern countries of Senegal, Mali and Mauritania. Now the Akan people live mostly in Ivory Coast and Ghana. The Akan people roots are Senegambian, even though they live further South and West now. The Fulani people are not from Nigeria and Cameroon, but they spread that way. The Mande people are from the Mauritania, Senegal and Mali, but now they are all over West Africa including in places like Liberia, Nigeria, Togo, Benin and Ivory Coast. On and on and on, so to say that a group is from a region is just really an indicator of where they basically are right now. If there people moved on or if there is no testing in back areas of a country where a group used to live then there are not likely to be many indicators of them being from there.

On another note a lot of ethnic groups ended up in slavery, because they moved. Those movement sometimes brought them into conflict with the different tribes that were in the lands where they moved.