How many of y'all moved on from hip hop and into electronic music?

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
I've always been down with EDM. Use to hit house parties all the time. Those scenes are dope AF. Use to leave covered in sweat head to toe rdy 2 die :russ:

Been to a couple "raves" 2 back in the day. Wasn't really my scene but still had a good time and made some $

ironically I'm listening 2 this right now. Lyrics hard AF on this jawn 2

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
The first electronic music I was exposed to was around 94, the Portishead/Massive Attack "Trip Hop" era

From them I branched out to Everything But The Girl, Morcheeba, and Tricky

Then I got into Drum & Bass around 96-97...the homie had went to London and brought back a mixtape

I was hooked immediately. Started raving (to my eternal happiness back then raves had D&B and Hip Hop rooms, along with House, Trance, Techno, Ambient, etc). I'd tell my crew "Hip Hop is my wife and Drum & Bass is my mistress" The Winter Music Conference in the late 90s was just incredible, went to the very first (and 2nd, and 3rd..) Ultra Festival. Raved all over Florida, and that's how I found Florida Breaks

Still into D&B, the other sub-genres eventually faded as no new generation stepped up. Some current D&B:

And for the heads, check this Mos Def D&B remix:

Check out the 4am breaks channel on YouTube, I actually predict DnB is going to have a major soft resurgence, learning to produce dnb myself the breaks are just too good

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Spotify got some ill playlists 2 where they throw rick ross verses n shyt over some of that hard drum n bass / dubstep type shyt.....love working out 2 that stuff......

even if yall don't rock with the music heavy hitting up those clubs/parties you'll meet some cool people and have a 95% chance of getting some coochie :takedat:

just be cautious brehs cause they party HARD :mjlit:

this shyt I still play :wow:

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
I just did a long run bumping the phonk channel on Spotify....this shyt hard AF..these 2 prolly my favorite RN....what is this type of music called?

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
One more time by Draft Punk is the GOAT CAC song. Fitting it came out in summer 2001, like the ending song of the GOAT decade (2000 and pre 9/11 2001 was 90-ish) love that song so much.

I didn't hear it until many years later :mjcry:
For some reason, I have a lot of fond memories of some of the music that was on the radio waves in early to mid 2001 and once every blue moon, I'll go and revisit some of those songs.

Daft Punk - "One More Time" "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" (honestly any song from Discovery)
ATC - "Around the World"
Crazy Town - "Butterfly"
J'Lo - "Play"
Shaggy - "It Wasn't Me"
Everlast - "I Can't Move"
Janet Jackson - "All for You"
Eve - "Let Me Blow Your Mind"
Any U2 song from All That You Can't Leave Behind
Staind - "It's Been Awhile"
Destiny's Child - "Independent Women" and "Bootylicious"
Nelly - "Ride Wit Me"
Jay-Z "Guilty Until Proven Innocent"
Any Outkast song from Stankonia
Eiffel 65 - "Move Your Body"
Memphis Bleek - "Is That Your Chick"
Put some of Nelly Furtado, Linkin Park, POD, and Moby's songs in there too.

Are some, dare I say, most of these songs three to four minutes of dumb shlock? Defiantly. Most of these aren't even rap songs, but as you said, there was something about that small period of time before 9/11 happened that a lot of people, including myself, like to hold on to. Us 90's kids had to come to the realization that that innocent time period was over, we were officially in the new millennium, everything around us was changing - for better or worse, and it just seemed like we were going into the dark unknown.

Last edited:

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
As for hip-hop itself, I started cutting off anyone new around 2008/9, with the exception of Kendrick Lamar, and I'm fine with that. I've got so much hip-hop/r&b material to listen to from the early 80's to the late 2000's that I can eat good for a long time, if not forever. A lot of these newer artists from the last decade or so (most notably Drake) just don't impress me and it's not just them, a lot of artists that I grew up listening to are putting out material that just isn't my taste now. Every once in a while, something new will catch my ear, because the last album I went out and purchased was Into the Spiderverse in 2018, but it's a rarity.

Tair

Superstar
Daps
I still like Hip Hop. But, I never listen to one genre of music. I listen to all genres of music - even some country songs are good. I will never drift away from hip hop though. Most of the HipHop I listen to is underground just like the electronic I listen to.

As for electronic, I have been listening to electronic since I was young (8-9 y.o.). My dad listened to soul/funk, and my mom listened to a lot of old school electronic when I was young.

Anyway,

Ski Mask

Friendzone: Collection 1
Daps
Reppin
Vegas/seattle
Yeah as i get older it gets harder and harder to enjoy music thats destructive. So ive been getting into vaporwave and ambient/downtempo beats

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I have been on the electro wave for +15 years. The thing that always makes me shy away is going to live shows. I want to experience the music socially but the crowds just aint diverse enough and there aint no black chicks to holler at lol. There are some more diverse concerts that are always a good time tho (Kaytranda, Soulection, etc)

I will say btw, that the new Coi Leray song that's been on fire is the most 'electronic music-sounding' rap song I've heard in a while. She basically is just singing a hook and then letting the beat do all the work

I did float a theory out there about a year ago. Wonder if it's playing out :jbhmm:
I was thinking about this recently. For black people, I think the mainstream movements like Soulection or hip hop lofi beats will be gateway drugs to more traditional forms of electronic music for a large # of us.

Soulection spins mostly electronic remixes of Hip Hop/R&B and LoFi beats are culturally similar. When people start fiending for a bass line drop, they are going to seek out harder forms of electronic music and next thing you know, they're hooked on minimal tech house and fist pumping in a rave with a glowstick :lolbron:

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
I only listen to old hip hop. Like pre 2004, for the most part. Still discovering a lot of stuff from the early 90’s that I didn’t know about.

But yeah, I’m moving more into classic soul albums, funk, jazz, fusion and classic rock. Just got a turntable and I have a bunch of sh¡t to check out

SilverSamurai

All Star
Daps
I never "moved on" from hip hop. But when I'm not listening to it, I'm usually listening to R&B or Electronic

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
It's always been Hip-Hop and other genres for me. Either rnb (90s) Jazz, african music (touareg, ethiopian, congolese), and eletronic music mostly, then some reggae, zouk music, etc. Depending on the periods one of those "other" genres was more prominent; But even when I was deeper inyto HH I would always seek out instrumental versions and/or producers taht were kind of left-field and that would introduce other types of styles. Being half-Euro and living here since the mid-90s obviously means I've been around house/dance/eletronic music damn near my whole life so it's always been a big part of what I listen to. And there's also so much different vibes to it when you start going into those eletronic musics mixed with arab or african music.

This joint came out like 15 years ago and still bangs.

Also for people who listen to HH it's really just going back to where the genre took up a lot of its early influences.