How do you feel about 'Bonus tracks', or 'Deluxe Edition' albums

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
There's nothing worse than discovering you got the basic version of an album after the fact. I JUST found out there was a HNIC 2 with 6 other songs.

mr x

Superstar
Daps
I give it the :dry:

Like seriously, ur album has 13 tracks on it....what is stopping you from including those other 2 "bonus" tracks?

I understand the exclusive thing with like iTunes or something to entice ppl to buy it from there....but overall it screws the fans over.
You're screwing over the remainder of real fans willing to spend their money for ur album.

Or why put out a UK, or overseas deluxe edition with added songs you didnt give to your MAIN demographic in the United States? :smh:

:pacspit:

raekwon did it on his last two albums. Instead of rewarding people for buying the hard copy, he put bonus tracks on the itunes versions.

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
Not sure if anyone saw this but when Wayne was interviewed by Amanda Diva a couple months back he mentioned that he only got paid for 12 songs per album on his contract. I'm sure most other artists (especially other Universal Music artists like Wayne) only get paid for about 10 to 13 songs per album so they add bonus tracks just to make some extra money off the album I guess.

On that note I hate them and wish that "The Motto", "Primetime", and bonus tracks like that were just on the standard edition.

Prolific_1011

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Miami-Wade County
I don't mind Deluxe albums. I hate Itunes bonus tracks, though.

As long as the bonus tracks appear on an actual hard-copy of the album, I'm good.

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I'm still tight at Little Brother screwin' me outta 5 songs cuz' I chose to go to the store and cop Getback

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I don't standard and Deluxe editions. What I DO mind is the Standard edition, deluxe edition, iTunes edition, Amazon edition, Best Buy edition and all that shyt. If your going to release an album, keep it to TWO main editions and let it ride...

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
I hate that shyt. Take Curren$y's album for example, when you buy the standard CD there are 13 tracks on the disc, there is a bonus code inside that gives you another track making 14. If you buy it from Itunes you get 16 tracks. If you buy it from Spotify you get two bonus tracks. Then Curren$y himself released a different version of Jet Life. If you were to compile all of the exclusive songs from Itunes, spotify, the bonus cut, and the remix you end up with 20 songs. The CD only has 13 tracks. What the fukk?

haha....there was an album like that from singer Tank back a few years ago. Me and my friend are both fans so we wanted to support. Target had extra tracks, Best Buy had extra tracks....so I bought Target one, he bought BB and then we swapped.

Shammago

By Any Means
Daps
Reppin
Sun rises in the East
doesn't bother me I copp all my music off Itunes and Amazon.com

I'm more upset if I have to pay more than $9.99 for an album. Albums nowadays should cost no more than than.

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
wait....WHAT?

see. this is that bullshyt. i went to the store too.

“The Getaway” - iTunes bonus track produced by Khrysis. I reviewed this track in my review of Getback. This track is hot!

“System” - UK bonus track featuring Tone Trezure and produced by Mr. Porter. Another crazy track!

“Next Day” - bonus track being offered at hiphopsite.com. This track should have easily been on the album! My favorite cut right now… insane! Can’t find the credits for this song, but some people are saying it sounds like on old J. Dilla beats. Sounds a lot like him to me!

“Please Stand By” - this is an extended 2:15 minute version of the piano intro to Getback produced by Zo!. Very nice. This was included on the UK version of the CD.

:sadcam: @ them not puttin' Getaway on the main album

I remember it being more, though. But, that was '07. I just remember being hot about it.

Oh yeah, Big Mel, when I saw you were viewin' the thread (I saw your name) and knew you'd chime in

We had to be the biggest LB fans on SOHH

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
I never even knew those songs existed. See, this is the problem with this stupid ass bonus track bullshyt. Confusing fans is wack.

wutang512

Banned
Daps
Reppin
:sadcam: @ them not puttin' Getaway on the main album

I remember it being more, though. But, that was '07. I just remember being hot about it.

Oh yeah, Big Mel, when I saw you were viewin' the thread (I saw your name) and knew you'd chime in

We had to be the biggest LB fans on SOHH

what makes it even worse for me is i went to their concert when they performed at stubbs here in austin and bought the album directly from them after the show.

aceboon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
just a way for the labels to recoup money. I forgot who it was but I think a rapper said if there is more than 15 tracks on an album they artist come out the pocket

Steve Stoute said something similar in the Making of It Was Written write up on Complex