How do companies make money via gamepass

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Must be lip service because Yakuza has been popular here. The draw is having access to the complete library.
Nah this isn't true as someone that's been a fan since it was niche on PS in the mid 2000's I can tell you the game only gained steam after Yak 0, and a after a couple remakes it just kinda grew stagnant again. Once 0-3 got put on gamepass it really really blew up and then the rest of the series dropped and it got added to ps now and blew up even more. Its been really popular since it was added to gamepass and then PS now. So much so the game gets crossovers, we got like a dragon 7 the same time as japan and the spin off is finally making it over seas remastered.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Must be lip service because Yakuza has been popular here. The draw is having access to the complete library.
Eh, I think it was considered niche tbh, but gamepass helped put more eyes onto the series. I played Yakuza 0 and 2 on PS4, but didn't want to bother playing through the series because I didn't want to invest in so many entries. However, once it hit gamepass I decided to play 3-6 and complete the series. Having access to the series due to gamepass made me buy Yakuza 7 and lost judgment day one, and also bought judgment after beating LAD. Anyways, I think being on gamepass helps with engagement which can influence future purchases of the series.

Also I think having a dub for Judgment series and LAD helped the game become more mainstream tbh.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Once 0-3 got put on gamepass it really really blew up and then the rest of the series dropped and it got added to ps now and blew up even more.

I got into Yakuza with Like a Dragon but I ended up playing Yakuza 0-6 on gamepass and then bought both judgment games afterwards :hubie:

I played Yakuza 0 and 2 on PS4, but didn't want to bother playing through the series because I didn't want to invest in so many entries. However, once it hit gamepass I decided to play 3-6 and complete the series.

:dahell: It's almost like you guys missed the:

The draw is having access to the complete library.

That's the important part for Yakuza on GamePass. There's like 8 releases you can play though. Having access to it's library will of course help its popularity even further.

Other important point being, it's always been a popular franchise. Thing has had almost yearly releases and isn't a sports title. :dead:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:dahell: It's almost like you guys missed the:

That's the important part for Yakuza on GamePass. There's like 8 releases you can play though. Having access to it's library will of course help its popularity even further.

Other important point being, it's always been a popular franchise. Thing has had almost yearly releases and isn't a sports title. :dead:

I mean disgaea has pretty much had year releases and spin offs for 2 decades since PS2 and I wouldn't call it a popular franchise at all its niche but known. In fact it's basically in a very similar situation as yakuza was.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
I mean disgaea has pretty much had year releases and spin offs for 2 decades since PS2 and I wouldn't call it a popular franchise at all its niche but known. In fact it's basically in a very similar situation as yakuza was.

I suppose the popularity part is the subjective work here, as I disagree in the parallels for Disgaea. Disgaea certainly has its base, but I don't think comes near Yakuza overall. I can agree both franchises had games made despite lowered expectations for sales targets. Yakuza has been the more successful of the two (clearly).

Also noting, Yakuza's overseas success outside of Japan - namely in the West - was catching Sega's eye well before its GamePass introduction. It was already popular enough to eventually leapfrog homeland sales. The big boost being 0's availability on PC to which I believe is still the best selling edition.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
I suppose the popularity part is the subjective work here, as I disagree in the parallels for Disgaea. Disgaea certainly has its base, but I don't think comes near Yakuza overall. I can agree both franchises had games made despite lowered expectations for sales targets. Yakuza has been the more successful of the two (clearly).

Also noting, Yakuza's overseas success outside of Japan - namely in the West - was catching Sega's eye well before its GamePass introduction. It was already popular enough to eventually leapfrog homeland sales. The big boost being 0's availability on PC to which I believe is still the best selling edition.
Yakuza is known more for looking like Shenmue and some say its the successor so it has EYES because of that.
But in terms of popularity, I'm certain half of all gamers never heard of it. Like, anyone who isn't a hardcore gamer likely never heard of it.
I have a brother who isn't a gamer outside of COD with his friends, they all in their 50's. None of them nikkaz would know anything about a Yakuza

Now its known to everyone, or at least everypone gets to check it out. And since its really a good series, the popularity should be exploding
I get what you was saying, and I peeped that you get what they/me saying as well. And that is Gamepass = :banderas:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Fair enough