How Did Kevin Hart Become So Successful?

Ol’Otis

The Picasso of the Ghetto
Daps
Reppin
South Central Los Angeles
Nah I don't think so. What he's running the risk of right now is doing too much and harming his legacy. Some of his most recent movies have been really really bad. He better be careful before he runs his career in to the ground, à la Eddie Murphy.
Yeah but Eddie come back was amazing when he did nutty professor and before that he had classic standups and films

Kevin has neither one

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
Will you admit luck plays a role as well? If other comics grind just as hard as he does they still might never get the same opportunities he does.

Also, do you think Kev is bigger than Seinfeld was at his prime?

Luck in the sense that Katt Williams started to fall off with his bullshyt off stage, Chapelle was in hiding and there weren't any other prominent black comedians doing it big around that time? Yeah, he got in at a good time so the luck coupled with hard work did wonders for him. I think his subject matter which doesn't lean too heavily on the White Vs Black tropes also helped him be universally liked across the board; something a black comic rarely gets outside of the old legends of Pryor, Mooney, Murphy and Cosby. As funny as Eddie Griffin, Chris Rock and Paul Money are, there are LOADS of white folk who don't fukk with getting shytted on so their temples are built largely on their killer wit, story telling art and just naturally stupid nature that's supported by a predominantly black fan base, and that will only get you so far in terms of staying hot in Hollywood.

In regards to your second question, I think he might be but I can't say this confidently since I was never in tune with Jerry Seinfeld during his prime with regards to standup to see if he had THAT big an impact back then. That's what you're asking, right? Because I'm sure it's obvious as fukk that Kevin Hart ain't touching Jerry Seinfeld's starpower if you throw the show Seinfeld in the mix, that's a definitive given. So if you were to separate Seinfeld from his show and base both comedians on their standup shyt, then Kevin should be the clear winner since Jerry Seinfeld grinded out as a mildly funny comic BEFORE the show, working small clubs and had novelty success as a stand up during it and AFTER the enormous fame of Seinfeld. People still weren't fukking with him on Kevin's level in terms of going to see him on stage despite becoming a household name and with the success of Seinfeld, he never really needed to do Standup outside of amusing himself since he was focused on the show and made massive bank off of it.

It's even harder for me now to look up how popular Seinfeld's standup shyt is during and after the show because he's so synonymous with the show that the two are practically merged. As a stan of the show Seinfeld, let me be the first to tell you that a VERY large part of that show's success rests on the talented writing staff they had along with the formidable cast of actors he had to work with. They even acknowledge it within the show when Tv Jerry creates his own show and it flops 'cause no one really found his writing that funny.:skip: Jerry Seinfeld is one lucky motherfukker, but god bless him and Long Ball Larry for creating one of the most memorable shows of all time.:blessed: I'll let Kevin Hart cook.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
Kevin Hart used to be funny thats why. The reason he is relevant is cause he is working hard to stay relevant.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What about Jerrod Carmichael?

only watched first video but i like this dude's style. i humbly think he just needs a little bit of polishing on timing (again this is only based on one set) but i like the calm style. it's almost like the funniest lines are said in passing almost like throwaways which makes it even funnier. i'm definitely gonna look out for this dude's work

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not a big fan of his comedy but seems likeable and his comedy is pretty safe

He's like the black Dane Cook who in the mid 2000's was selling out arenas and was in a lot of movies

I'd expect like Cool Harts run will end soon. Only so many of the same action comedies you can make and his standup is kinda bland

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
Luck in the sense that Katt Williams started to fall off with his bullshyt off stage, Chapelle was in hiding and there weren't any other prominent black comedians doing it big around that time? Yeah, he got in at a good time so the luck coupled with hard work did wonders for him. I think his subject matter which doesn't lean too heavily on the White Vs Black tropes also helped him be universally liked across the board; something a black comic rarely gets outside of the old legends of Pryor, Mooney, Murphy and Cosby. As funny as Eddie Griffin, Chris Rock and Paul Money are, there are LOADS of white folk who don't fukk with getting shytted on so their temples are built largely on their killer wit, story telling art and just naturally stupid nature that's supported by a predominantly black fan base, and that will only get you so far in terms of staying hot in Hollywood.

In regards to your second question, I think he might be but I can't say this confidently since I was never in tune with Jerry Seinfeld during his prime with regards to standup to see if he had THAT big an impact back then. That's what you're asking, right? Because I'm sure it's obvious as fukk that Kevin Hart ain't touching Jerry Seinfeld's starpower if you throw the show Seinfeld in the mix, that's a definitive given. So if you were to separate Seinfeld from his show and base both comedians on their standup shyt, then Kevin should be the clear winner since Jerry Seinfeld grinded out as a mildly funny comic BEFORE the show, working small clubs and had novelty success as a stand up during it and AFTER the enormous fame of Seinfeld. People still weren't fukking with him on Kevin's level in terms of going to see him on stage despite becoming a household name and with the success of Seinfeld, he never really needed to do Standup outside of amusing himself since he was focused on the show and made massive bank off of it.

It's even harder for me now to look up how popular Seinfeld's standup shyt is during and after the show because he's so synonymous with the show that the two are practically merged. As a stan of the show Seinfeld, let me be the first to tell you that a VERY large part of that show's success rests on the talented writing staff they had along with the formidable cast of actors he had to work with. They even acknowledge it within the show when Tv Jerry creates his own show and it flops 'cause no one really found his writing that funny.:skip: Jerry Seinfeld is one lucky motherfukker, but god bless him and Long Ball Larry for creating one of the most memorable shows of all time.:blessed: I'll let Kevin Hart cook.

Yeah in terms of starpower/impact is Kev as big as Seinfeld was at the height of his show? It seems Kev has white and black audiences that love him. Did black audiences love Seinfeld though?

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
He's brilliant at marketing in this era. His popularity and influence on social media is almost unparalleled. The Run With Hart shyt he did with Nike was genius.

Level headed.

He did the Will Smith thing - he works every movie or event to the absolute bone. Hits every market. I live in London, every movie he puts out he'll be here promoting it. He's rarely a sole headliner but he will go out and promote internationally by himself.

And then there's the consistency. Every year, a new standup special. A tour. Movies.

TAYLONDO SAMSWORTHY

Veteran
Verified
Supporter
Daps
The nikka has a 99 hustle. His standups are hella funny, his movies are all microwave redbox joints, he is more strategic than these other comedians who are just funny ass hood nikkas. Katt williams is funnier but he's the DMX of comedians :dead:

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
Yeah in terms of starpower/impact is Kev as big as Seinfeld was at the height of his show? It seems Kev has white and black audiences that love him. Did black audiences love Seinfeld though?

If you include the show, then no. Seinfeld's fame was pretty much akin to Rockstar status. TV ratings, classic episodes, syndication, Seinfeld the show was a media darling back then from pushing what was at the time, taboo subject matter to the forefront and laughing at it. People were fanatics for that show and it's stars.

As for Black people liking Seinfeld. I'm not too sure since I grew up outside of America around the time it was going on so I can't readily say from experience.

A minority of black folk liked it I'd like to think but with shows like in living colour, the Cosby show and Martin, I doubt Seinfeld was pulling a sizeable black audience that supported it the way those other shows were revered amongst black folk.

That number has risen now that the show is well known throughout the world but I can see black folk not getting it or wanting to; shyt can be pretty whitebread at times.