How did Jean Michel Basquaite convince ppl to buy his scribbles for millions?

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Just petition some 1st graders to do some sketches of their dreams for you and pass them off as his early work to wealthy pill popping cacs.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
isnt he dead tho?

Not like he's enjoying it.

Kinda the trade off. Peopel became more interested after he was gone.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
isnt he dead tho?

Not like he's enjoying it.

Kinda the trade off. Peopel became more interested after he was gone.

Yea someone got rich off that :trash: and it wasnt his ass. Some snake oil salesman talking to some wealthy yuppies like *this is the premier in urban art. So juvenile in appearence, yet full of so much meaning and raw emotion*

*ill pay 10 million for all of his elementary school drawings * - wealthy cac.

:rudy: :russ: - the janitor at the art gallery

Tom

Banned
Daps
Reppin
They see me trolling, they hating.....
Yea someone got rich off that :trash: and it wasnt his ass. Some snake oil salesman talking to some wealthy yuppies like *this is the premier in urban art. So juvenile in appearence, yet full of so much meaning and raw emotion*

*ill pay 10 million for all of his elementary school drawings * - wealthy cac.

:rudy: :russ: - the janitor at the art gallery

actually in his new documentary that dropped last year it said he was a millionaire and enjoyed success during his lifetime breh

:noah:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
actually in his new documentary that dropped last year it said he was a millionaire and enjoyed success during his lifetime breh

:noah:

Well, good for him. Hopefully you can find happiness in your life being poor.

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
I'd pay good money to hear the music that he made with the guy in my Avi...

and Basquiat convinced people to buy is Modern expressionist paintings the same way Mark Rothko got people to buy shyt like this...

mark_rothko_gallery_10.jpg

Mr Uncle Leroy

All Star
Daps
he had complex art and simple/doodling art...but it was really the message in his art which resonated...

Since Basquiat’s death in 1988, his market has developed steadily — in line with overall art market trends — with a dramatic peak in 2007 when, at the height of the art market boom, the global auction volume for his work was over $115m. Brett Gorvy, deputy chairman of Christie’s, is quoted describing Basquiat’s market as "two-tiered. [...] The most coveted material is rare, generally dating from the best period, 1981-83."[34] Until 2002, the highest money paid for an original work of Basquiat's was US$3,302,500, set on November 12, 1998 at Christie's.

In 2002, Basquiat's Profit I (1982), a large piece measuring 86.5"/220 cm by 157.5"/400 cm, was set for auction again at Christie's by drummer Lars Ulrich of the heavy metal band Metallica. It sold for US$5,509,500.[35] The proceedings of the auction are documented in the film Some Kind of Monster.

In 2008, at another auction at Christie's, Ulrich sold a 1982 Basquiat piece, Untitled (Boxer), for US$13,522,500 to an anonymous telephone bidder.[36] Another record price for a Basquiat painting was made on in 2007, when an untitled Basquiat work from 1981 sold at Sotheby's in New York for US$14.6 million.[37] In 2012, Basquiat's Untitled (1981), a painting of a haloed, black-headed man with a bright red skeletal body, depicted amid the artist’s signature scrawls, was sold by Robert Lehrman for $16.3 million, well above its $12 million high estimate.[38]

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
Most in this thread are wrong about how Basquiat and his art were perceived in the 80s.

Basquiat became rich and popular while he was still alive. His downfall and his art becoming unpopular happened, again, while he was still alive.

I suggest everyone in here who is dissing him go check out his new documentary. I can't think of the name of it off-top, and I'm too lazy to link y'all nikkas. Look it up yourselves if you're interested.

And like that one poster said, it's more about the message in his art, as well as what he was trying to do to the artistic establishment. He was making street/urban art just as artistically relevant as high-cultured art; and he succeeded.

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
white people slay me I swear ....dude goes in on Basquiat and a bunch of c00ns who know nothing of art rush in and co-sign

how come this clown doesnt mention Jackson Pollock

1.example.01.jpg

Jackson Pollock number five was sold for $140 million dollars , wheres the artistic merit in this

how come dude doesnt mention Damien Hirst the richest living painter who has made a fortune of spot paintings which he doent even make himself but has his assistants do the work

damien-hirst-spot-paintings-at-gagosian-gallery_4.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/art-news/9010657/Damien-Hirst-assistants-make-my-spot-paintings-but-my-heart-is-in-them-all.html

Basqiuaits art was very esoteric and his paintings spoke of the "black" experience which you as a cac could never understand, the fact that you choose to poke fun of one of the few lauded black painters speaks volumes

Basquiat003.jpg

maybe you should read up on the meaning of his painting Charles the !st which also inspired the Jay z grammy family freestyle before you pass judgement

or hollywood Africans

basquiat-irony.jpg

or "the irony of the black policeman...

my point is his art wasnt just a bunch of scribbles there was actual meaning behind it ....