How did/does it feel being the token black dude in college?

AntiHero

Long time lurker
Daps
Did people look at your weird when you walked into class?

What type of questions did people ask you?

Anyone ever accuse you of something?

Did people treat you differently since you were the only black dude around?

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Only thing was group assignments no one wanted to work with me.

Sent from royalty using Tapatalk breh

ThugLife

Diehard Jimmy Buckets fan
Daps
Reppin
I bought a Carbon 15 when I was 18
@Token what's it like?
WNwNB.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
my right hand was rican left was black (one semester) so i was good

and i can blend in with anyone tbh and the cacs loved me

i went to college to get away from blacks..i went to a hood ass high school in philly so not having to defend what im wearing every day was a breath of fresh air :ahh:

AntiHero

Long time lurker
Daps

i went to college to get away from blacks..i went to a hood ass high school in philly so not having to defend what im wearing every day was a breath of fresh air :ahh:

http://rumorsontheinternets.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/wee-bey-oh-shyt.gif

So much real life.

I grew up in the ghetto and a lot of the ghetto kids would make fun of me because i dressed "white", at the time i was skating.

I used to go to a lot of hood schools near the projects in Brooklyn and had to deal with goons talking chit everyday.

Yakno1

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Breh, u know how many brothers have graduated from college or are currently enrolled?
Too many to have the token label

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps

http://rumorsontheinternets.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/wee-bey-oh-shyt.gif

So much real life.

I grew up in the ghetto and a lot of the ghetto kids would make fun of me because i dressed "white", at the time i was skating.

I used to go to a lot of hood schools near the projects in Brooklyn and had to deal with goons talking chit everyday

Y'all do realize that there is a HUGE difference between the kids at your ghetto ass high school and the kids going to an HBCU?

Hell, you're not going to get made fun of in college like you did in high school anyway regardless of where you go/where you went.

SMH @ getting bullied into where you were going to college.

Ain't no goons at NC A&T or Howard, etc., etc. :snoop:

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
it sucks. that simple. nevermind having to deal with them, but not having people of your kind to deal with takes a toll after a while.

1. There will be times that you want to watch a basketball game or play some Madden/NBA 2k on TV but your 6 roommates are already watching an Olympic hockey game or some shyt.
  2. They stink and aren't clean on average
  3. Any time a black dude is around, these fakkits will literally watch and see how the two of you interact. If you dont know him, they will make a slick comment to get the ball rolling so they can pay attention.
  4. When youre in the club and see two fine sistas you dont have any wingman to help you get at the two of them. Even if one is feeling a sista, he'll likely be too much of a p*ssy to defect from the rerst and help you out.
  5. They will eventually try and say the word nikka around you
  6. Nobody to discuss music with. They think it's cool to discuss rap but nah, that shyt isnt the same to you as it is to me. Listen to your bullshyt, say the word nikka under your breath but discuss the new Macklemore album with me cause I dont listen to that horseshyt. Don't discuss Mobb Deep with me because you dont understand the shyt theyre talking about (not saying I'm a thug but still). Dont talk to me about Mos Def and Talib because you dont relate to their pro black material. Lastly, dont talk to me about nerd rap like Immortal Technique because its trash.
  7. The ample race related jokes which SIMPLY ARE NOT FUNNY AND ARE TIRED AS fukk
  8. A few of em talk shyt about black girls for some reason and the stereotypes. (Weave, cocoa butter, sassiness etc)

[*] Like dude said, they treat you like a spokesperson for all black folks and will insinuate that you dont belong there. Like you should be on a corner slangin and catchin bodies instead

And the last one is really real. They are real sly with it too. The amount of times I've heard, "youre so white" because I dont wear baggy clothes, listen to some rock music at times (dont blast it for all to hear though), am articulate/smart...etc. is really a shame. But then again I've heard it from Black ppl too growing up.

Overall being a part of the minority just sucks no matter what situation youre in. Nothing against whitey's, but you just cant relate to them if youre a black person. It isnt even a matter of being from the hood, its about the color of your skin that makes the difference. The way you were raised...

Even if you're a dude surrounded by nothing but women, I bet youll start pulling hair out eventually. The sad reality is that as a black male, you are a minority pretty much anywhere that you go. If you're entering a school, no matter where just try to find yourself one or two black dudes that you can connect with. All it takes is a quick headnod and a dap. Chop up some game and then build a relationship. Or else, youre gonna be gouging out your eyeballs by the time summer comes around. Anybody who has been in a situation like this will see truth in this post.

Prodigital

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My first college was predominantly white. I was hanging out with the frat just thinking about joining. It wasn't bad being token. All the hoes wanted to know me, i got plenty of free alcohol, and more people remembered my face than i remembered them.

I was the subject of some low ball jokes. This one irish professor, who was known for his blatant racism, said in another life i would be robbing people. Everyone in the class got uncomfortable tho, i shrugged it cause by then i had gotten used to cacs and their cism.

C/s what dude said about not having to care about clothes, them white boys dress way worse than what they can afford