How come Taylor Swift doesn’t have the same mass appeal to the Black community that previous white singers had?

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Madonna got play on urban stations with "Justify My Love", "Take a Bow", "Secret" and "Human Nature". Those songs were produced by Lenny Kravitz, Babyface and Dallas Austin. Also her debut was produced by Neil Rodgers so she got play in the 80's too. Britney got it with several Rap remixes and "Slave for You" but she was still pop. Nelly Furtado got it during the Timbaland album with "Promiscous". Gwen got it more for her solo work with Neptunes songs and Eve/Dr. Dre collobo. Gaga? Well she did some rap collabos but her stuff has always been super pop/dance.

Sure she has Black Fans but I wouldn't say she's got much urban play like that. Kanye did sample her for that Cudi track though. I'd say George Michael got play on R&B stations because "Careless Whisperer" was strong. Michael McDonald got play. Teena Marie. Jon B did his thing in the 90's. Celine Dion had R. Kelly had a #1 song together that got urban play. There have been White Artist to make the R&B Charts that Black people liked their songs. I'm sure Taylor has Black fans but her music is more in the Country/Pop genre. Her rap collabos were still pop.

Last edited:

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Brittaney and Madonna did.

I distinctly remember that “I didn’t know I couldn’t talk about sex” song getting urban radio play

And for Brittaney she had a few songs that crossed over but the biggest I remember was Toxic. EVERY STATION played that joint

I’m not sure about Gaga. I remember Poker Face being a big hit on the MTV countdowns back when that still meant something

Taylor Swift is as vanilla as they come. She’s not meant for “us” nor does she need “us”. Brittaney Spears had a time where she was following Justin’s lead and working with the Neptunes and other popular black producers. She had black background dancers, black models, and even black “love” interests in her videos. Lady Gaga was supposed to go on tour with Kanye at one point in her career. A lot of white pop stars had a moment where they at least flirted with getting a black audience. Taylor never did, because she never had to. She’s literally America’s dream of what a white woman is which represents Black America’s nightmare. I know she’s worked with people like Ice Spice and Kendrick Lamar but that was never her crossing into a black sound. No R&B, no Jazz, no funk, not even really any Hip Hop elements. They were crossing over to HER
Have u ever heard her music?

She makes songs for socially awkward white teenage girls

Damn near all all her popular songs are about failing in relationships and in life

Trouble for example.

Her songs have a corny rhythm and she has absolutely no body whatsoever. She is a Barbie doll lacking sexual parts

Perfect for mentally unstable young white women and grown white women and gay white men who wanna seem cool.

Her crowds do not have the vibe, the energy, nor diversity of Beyonce cause her music is basic. if white people made up 13 percent of America's population I doubt u ever heard of her

Sums it up. As big as her career is, she really only caters to one demographic - the basic, self-absorbed white girl with first world problems. "Omg I'm literally shaking right now because Starbucks messed up my order and now my day is ruined, I can't even" in musical form.

PatCake

Alkali Nonmetals
Daps
Reppin
I, for one, welcome our new space overlords.
It's not like she tries to appeal to black women. If she tried to pander she would alienate her core fan base. Them white chicks (non Hispanic white women) Stan her because they feel represented and not just shoved in the same box with all the other races. She's smart enough to know that.

Funny thing is she left country music and started doing more urban sounding music. Shake it off is a Hey Ya knock off, for example. They love that. They love the good music with a white face on it(Amy Winehouse, Adele).

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
What song has she made that helped her get spin on urban radio compared to those other artist?
Yeah, there have been mega-star white acts that never crossed over to Black audiences. They have Black people who buy their music and attend concerts but no sizable following, or airplay.

U2, the grunge acts of the 90s, the boy bands, Shania Twain, etc

I think white super acts with radio play on Black radio are the exception.

Figaro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 36 Chambers
Britney, Gwen, Fergie, Madonna & Lady Gaga played the sex appeal/freak role in their videos & concerts that's why the black community embraced them.

Swifty tries to move her body & has no rhythm so we can't relate to that twig :yeshrug:

I fukks with some of her jawns though, can't lie :mjlol:

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
Sums it up. As big as her career is, she really only caters to one demographic - the basic, self-absorbed white girl with first world problems. "Omg I'm literally shaking right now because Starbucks messed up my order and now my day is ruined, I can't even" in musical form.
The thing is, she's clearly huge in other countries/continents in a way that most artists aren't.

Which is strange to me, because I just don't see what pulls them in.

Her songwriting is good but her actual singing/performance is basic to bad.

She couldn't win a talent show at my local middle/high school, deadass.

Like, I get why MJ ruled the world at his peak.

Singing, crazy dancing and just a general oddness/weirdness to his music that others lacked.

Beyonce as well, in terms of singing and performance.

Gaga for singing, oddity edge as well.
Her performance was mediocre but she COULD sing at least, and her songwriting was interesting.

Taylor though? None of that, aside from songwriting. It's like media inertia propelled her to the top or something.

She's like if the Make a Wish foundation put in a script for an all American popstar into chatgpt.

Just benignly milqetoast and blandness manifested into reality.

Coco Loco

The Chocolate One with the Gold Cuffs
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Beyond her ability to write a cute song, she doesn't have anything else to offer

No stage presence, no dancing and the songs are actually meh

For all of her global success, Taylor is the epitome of basic

Madonna, Christina, Britney and Gaga either have star power, can actually sing or can dance/has stage presence