How Come Asians Make It Out The Hood??

Un-AmericanDreamer

Simp City
Daps
Asians have an intact community. Their money stays within their own group, they're also entrepreneurs. They seem to know how to handle money better than most of us who spend our money on bullshyt. Asians are some of the most frugal people you will ever meet. They do more with less. A lesson all Americans should learn.

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
New York City
the fact that u even knew those sites off the top of ur head proves his point

:ufdup:

Actually the one who :ufdup: is you as I only read General, Music and Sports and Training forum on Niketalk and hardly go on ISS, I don't visit these sites to look at sneakers.

Sit yo stereotyping ass down :birdman:

Francis White

i been away to long, my feeling died.
Daps
Reppin
New York, New York
they know how to save the money they earn

not much else to it
This and education, plus family support when they need it, i used to live with an Asian family and when the landlords daughter moved back and i had to find a new place, they reached out to another Asian landlord who moved me in right away, the unity they show 1 another is something we blacks have to do.

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
its because we save a shyt load of money, up to 80% of our income. We will suffer first, live in basements, eat leftovers, walk to work, not buy anything we want just to save money. We are very frugal. Most 2nd gen asians will do very well in school because their parents never had an education and will push them. Plus we have a very supportive family system

scarhead

All Star
Daps
End thread right here.
Immigrants in general get it in because they know what real struggle is like...plus they probably never even had a chance on coming up where they are from.
Add to the fact that the type of person that would risk everything, leave their native land, and try a new life here is probably going to work really hard.

Race has nothing to do it...that same immigrant has a whole country of kin folks (their home land) that are lazy as fuk.
I saw a lot of lazy ass Chinese people when I was in China...and homeless ones too.

America gets the best of the best.

This right here.

I'm 1.5 generation (born in South Korea - Moved here when I was little), and my family was broke as fukk. We just had that drive. My parents had crazy work ethic and led a frugal lifestyle. I'm back living in Korea now (will move back to NYC next year, tho) and it's true we have some lazy people here but truthfully Koreans are diligent people. We were poorer than Bangladesh in 1960's but now we're the 12th biggest economy in the world.

:smugdraper:

As for the collective culture being helpful...well there are two sides to that coin. There ARE some shady mofos who prey on FOBs and because of that, we don't really trust each other like that. It's more of a competition factor, though. I used to hate that one kid who lived next door that went to Princeton on a scholarship. My parents didn't compare me to that dude but they DID bring that kid up a lot of times. My ass didn't go a Ivy school but I went to a semi good school and graduated with honors.

Lastly, at least for Koreans, religion (Christianity) was a big factor - for bonding/networking and building work ethic and character. There are a lot of devout Christians in the Korean society and they mostly tend to be successful. The founders of Forever 21 go to church every morning at 6am and still managed to build a worldwide fashion empire. They came here with nothing and are now worth billions of dollars. Peeps in LA might know this but Forever 21 is filled with church going Koreans and they kinda filter the applicants by asking about them in local Christian communities.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
It depends.

You have an Asian person who came over here poor with a vision of bettering themselves. They have no feelings of "entitlement" and know they have to work their way to success.
You can have a black person with that same mentality too. There are a lot of rags-to-riches stories involving African-Americans.

If you get someone who is stupid and poor and feels entitled to the good things in life without working for it, they are going to eventually find themselves in the hood regardless of whether they are white, black, Asian, or Hispanic, if they aren't there already.

Huellz Santana

Shocking
Daps
Reppin
Da city where the skinny nikkas die
parenting

to me, Asians have the best parenting style

they don't whoop their kids asses like black parents but they don't baby them like white parents either. good grades aren't rewarded, they're expected. they don't try to be your friend, they act like a parent. tough love at its finest

here's a good break down

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior - WSJ.com

my pops was like this. he's part black, part Chinese Jamaican, so he had a mixture of two different parenting styles. I distinctly remember when I was in 2nd grade. I had gotten two Bs and the rest As. showed him my report card and I was like :pachaha: he hit me with the :shaq2: "when I was your age I got straight As." while all my friends were getting new sneakers and money from their parents for good grades he'd hit me with the :ehh: and keep it moving

plus he had that intimidating, Mufasa "simba, you deliberately disobeyed me" type presence. he only hit me once when I was a kid, yet he still had me shook just off my fear of disappointing him. that's powerful parenting right there.

shyt made me :sadbron: as a young'n, but looking back I just :ohhh: at some of the techniques he used to raise me

not for nothing, all those asian kids with strict parents are some of the most depressed kids you'll ever meet. not to mention suicide rates

if we're gonna bring up these asian success stories we might as well talk about the failures too. i know plenty of asian kids who fukking hate their parents.​