How can Cyborg reach the modern prominence of BP?

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I think Damian will make a pretty good Batman.
Will never sell and people will never accept it.

Batman is Bruce
Hal is the GL rep of Earth

The only good transition that happens repeatedly in handing off a heroes mantle to another character is The Flash. I don't know why it works but it does , people accept
Jay -> Barry -> Wally

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Cyborg has never been a sidekick.....

He'll never be as big as Panther because there's no "Wish fulfillment" aspect to his character. Cyborg is a tragic hero who's constantly exploring the depth or lack of his own humanity after his accident. Black Panther is the pinnacle of Black Excellence and over the years more and more people have gravitated towards that.

Exactly

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Forgot to address it but I think @MartyMcFly is right in his earlier point, Cyborg really isn't that type of character anyway. And i also agree with@obarth in that not many characters in general are, even if you remove the qualifier of being a "black" superhero.

Cap is the embodiment of America's pride and idealism. (Arguably white America if you factor his look). Wonder Woman embodies feminism, arguably white feminism. Black Panther obviously is an embodiment of African pride, or black pride. And although their race, gender and patriotism aren't brought up like the others, Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, Iron Man are more covert representations for white males. However, the thing with all the characters mentioned is they have a cool factor and appeal that can transcend any specific demographic.

Spider-Man and Batman have obviously been the shining examples of this for decades now, and at the end of the day, all these fictitious characters are "superheroes" meant to give fantasy wish-fulfillment/escapism to kids and young people. They're supposed to embody great things or great concepts.

Which is where Cyborg falls a bit short because everything about him feels more like the person who you'd rather have be your friend, than the person you'd actually want to be. And why i agree that a John Stewart or Static Shock would work better. And a shoutout to Vixen too, who is a bit underrated.

As the resident Spider-Man fanatic I don’t think hes just that lol neither is Batman. But I feel you. There’s an Everyman quality to Spider-Man that most heroes don’t have even tho he’s a genius. And the mask means it in theory could be anyone. The reason I gravitated to Spider-Man as a kid and still as an adult is because Peter is the most similar to me from a personality standpoint. The shyt makes sense when I read it. There’s a connection there. I don’t think cyborg has that. He has the cool factor and all that but he doesn’t have the personal touch

Last edited:

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
DC should write a new character to push thats african american....but hey we are getting (half) Black Adam :manny:

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
He can't. Black Panther has a legacy behind him that makes him a staple of comic book history. Cyborg is a cool character but when people think of prominent black super hero's you usually hear Black Panther, Storm and Cage mentioned. Static probably would come b4 Cyborg in a lot of people's minds also.

Yea... Cyborg not even top 2 in his own universe.... its John GL, Static and then maybe him.

He has no chance at ever being as big as BP

Martha

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
As the resident Spider-Man fanatic I don’t think hes just that lol neither is Batman. But I feel you. There’s an Everyman quality to Spider-Man that most heroes don’t have even tho he’s a genius. And the mask means it in theory could be anyone. The reason I gravitated to Spider-Man as a kid and still as an adult is because Peter is the most similar to me from a personality standpoint. The shyt makes sense when I read it. There’s a connection there. I don’t think cyborg has that. He has the cool factor and all that but he doesn’t have the personal touch
I mean, you have a stronger connection to him, whereas I don't anymore (I did when I was younger). At the end of the day, he's still a 5'10 fit white guy super genius who bangs supermodels. lol Whereas the everyday man is 5'7, fat, high school education and can only interact with an MJ lookin chick by liking her IG pics.

Now high school Parker is closer to that everyday kid concept imo but obviously the reason why black folks flock to Static and Miles (or the concept of Miles) is bc Parker is still a white guy. Batman is still a white guy, mask or not. Women flock to spider-gwen bc Peter is still a white _guy_.

Which doesn't mean a kid gotta be white or a guy to have them be their fav, bc they are charismatic enough to appeal across demos, but folks arent blind to whose represented behind the mask, when it gets down to it.

IM, BP, CA, WW have very strong wishfulfillment traits in their own right, which make them appealing across demos, whereas Cyborg lacks that.. which is why he kinda struggles for support amongst black folks (generalizing), let alone anyone else.

Imo anyway

dakidblu

We Out Here!
Daps
Blade if wesleycan comd back :feedme:. John stewart could do it. Denzel would be perfect in his role :wow:. Static could too on some galaxy of the guardians light hearted shyt. Idk whod you cast for him though.

Daps
He won't because he's not a leader. He's equivalent to star wars Finn character screaming booyah. Don't nobody like that shyt. Icon and rocket are probably the best black characters in dc. Realistically, as black ppl we don't idolize falling second fiddle to white ppl and cacalacing at their corny humor so characters like black panther stand out because they represent us best as we hold our own and only use cacs to play chess moves and elevate our ppl.

WakandanPride

Realest Negus Alive
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I just want his film to be on some Sci-Fi shyt like Ex-Machina. He doesn't even need a villain; they could just focus on what makes him valuable like his powers. I think a director like Dee Rees could do that.