How Advance were African Civilizations before European Colonialism??

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
You are just writing words and you don't know what you are saying. Donkeys are domesticated. They were domesticated for the purpose of work. This is a donkey.

726donkey_work_india.jpg

Zebras are wild, but they; the Donkey and the horse are from the same genus called the Equus or Equidae. In fact a male donkey and a female horse can be bred to make a mule.

Btw, they not only have skeletal remains but they have rock art of horse in Africa that far predate the Hyskos bringing horses to Egypt.
Breh, I meant Zebras can't be domesticated. Fact of the matter is, neither can be used as calvery.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
I mean once the great empires fell into smaller ones? I think it goes mali Empire then Songhai then various others? anyway i dont have a degree in this but i do know the lack of large scale trade with the east stunted development past the iron age

Asante, Sokoto, Dahomey, Benin were still very powerful states. Their population density was greater than Ghana, Songhai and Mali and they had access to guns.

East Africans (ex. Swahili, Somalis etc) had access to eastern trading markets but they were still conquered by Europeans

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
I clearly said 'for weapons' but imma let u tell it

Sub-Saharan Africa skipped the bronze age and went straight to the iron age. Some African groups even made steel.

Iron metallurgy in Africa - Wikipedia
Iron smelting was practiced by the Nok culture of Nigeria from as early as 1000 BC. The nearby Djenné-Djenno of the Niger Valleybetween Mali and Nigeria shows evidence of iron production from c. 250 BC. The technology was spread by the Bantu expansion to Eastern and Southern Africa during c. 500 BC to AD 400 as shown in the Urewe culture.[1]

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
This thread is frustrating because none of y’all have degrees in African history and it’s showing
I wasn't aware that not having a degree in a subject precludes people from having informed opinions. If that were true , most internet forums would be empty.

Some of the things written here have puzzled/frustrated me also, but as most things on the internet are.....this is an old problem. The era in question by the OP is the LEAST covered/discussed one by academia. In reverse orderPost colonization,independence movements, colonial era, scramble for Africa, the "illegal" atlantic slave trade, the "legal" transatlantic slave trade, Islam in Africa/arabic slave trade,Ghana,Mali,Songhai,Egyptian dynasties are all covered,written about extensively.

The parts of the continent not involved with the transatlantic slave trade, and the era of roughly 1500s-to late 1800s are not covered as extensively in the West. As a result, this is generally a hard topic to discuss. Not because people don't hold degrees in African History but because not as much has been written about this era as other time periods.

It would be more constructive to quote, and correct/clarify/give your take on comments that you feel are inaccurate.Either that, or tell us all when and from what school you received your degree(s) in African history.
You're Nigerian, so that last comment may backfire on me. hahahaahah
Nigerians collect degrees like people collect sneakers.

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If you haven't seen it you gotta see this classic

Most important parts imo is the Advanced political and social systems, democracies, sex equality... And value of books, most important thing in Timbuktu and the areas surrounding. Intellectualism was cherished.

My heart dreads when I think about the material that have been destroyed stolen or how little we invest in African and black archeologists and searchers. Stupid ass Boko Haram and co occupying Timbuktu and destroying it when we practically know there are secrets and maybe a city hidden underground.

You should watch all his videos anyways

Didn't see the last ones yet but looks interesting

:salute: I got the book When we Ruled. shyt is HUGE but I honestly only read like the first chapter and fell off. it's a daunting task. I've been doing my own research here and there and I've been seeing things about certain West African groups like people from Benin/Nigeria claiming they come from the East(Egypt). The dates for this possible migration is interesting because it's around the same time the spread of Islam and constant warring that was happening around the 7th and 8th century.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
:salute: I got the book When we Ruled. shyt is HUGE but I honestly only read like the first chapter and fell off. it's a daunting task. I've been doing my own research here and there and I've been seeing things about certain West African groups like people from Benin/Nigeria claiming they come from the East(Egypt). The dates for this possible migration is interesting because it's around the same time the spread of Islam and constant warring that was happening around the 7th and 8th century.
:myman:

I need to buy it too to be honest. I know some of its informations through videos but it looks well researched and very informative.

I don't know which black scholars pursued this theory since Cheikh Anta Diop, but I know that some people do believe that Ancient Egyptian migrations populated West Africa in the beginning. @Diasporan Royalty didn't recent DNA testing on ancient Egyptians showed paternity links with Subsaharian Africans or is my memory faulty?

Drip Bayless

Superstar
Daps
the leaders willing to resist are in a negligible minority though*
West African chiefs allowed the trade of slaves, all African leaders were not complicit in the trade of slaves
Even the West African leaders who did so operated under the assumption that they were trading goods not opening the door for colonization, a lot of them tried to stop the process when they saw Europeans kidnapping people who weren't slaves but by then it was already too late
Colonization was the result of naivete not greed, even now the corruption that plagues Africa is more a result of crushing poverty than greed

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
West African chiefs allowed the trade of slaves, all African leaders were not complicit in the trade of slaves
Even the West African leaders who did so operated under the assumption that they were trading goods not opening the door for colonization, a lot of them tried to stop the process when they saw Europeans kidnapping people who weren't slaves but by then it was already too late
Colonization was the result of naivete not greed, even now the corruption that plagues Africa is more a result of crushing poverty than greed
the motivation does not change the fact that they were complicit

euros did not have the numbers the resources the knowledge of the land to come in & take anything

leaders fail to understand that the wealth is/was in the land & the people so they treat both with disregard

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
the motivation does not change the fact that they were complicit

euros did not have the numbers the resources the knowledge of the land to come in & take anything

leaders fail to understand that the wealth is/was in the land & the people so they treat both with disregard

In the initial stages, the ones sold were p.o.w.s though. The leaders weren't selling their own people. I descend from enslaved people.
I think too often people look at this subject with 21 century clarity/hindsight and knowing today's realities, and don't view it from the perspective of the ones making these decisions in the 17th and 18th centuries. I do agree that the decisions were made with complete disregard for people. The original chiefs/merchants who agreed to sell people set into motion something that the future chiefs of the region would have to deal with. Your rivals to the east ,are selling people and growing stronger than your group...with more (European supplied) weapons. At some point they will become strong enough to subjugate you and your people. What do you do?

(certain)West African chiefs allowed the trade of slaves, all African leaders were not complicit in the trade of slaves
Good distinction, which often goes overlooked

Last edited:

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
In the initial stages, the ones sold were p.o.w.s though. The leaders weren't selling their own people. I descend from enslaved people.
I think too often people look at this subject with 21 century clarity/hindsight and knowing today's realities, and don't view it from the perspective of the ones making these decisions in the 17th and 18th centuries. I do agree that the decisions were made with complete disregard for people. The original chiefs/merchants who agreed to sell people set into motion something that the future chiefs of the region would have to deal with. Your rivals to the east ,are selling people and growing stronger than your group...with more (European supplied) weapons. At some point they will become strong enough to subjugate you and your people. What do you do?
a million different ways to say the og's fukked up

that still supports what i said

euros never deebo'd nothing

it was the already present fukkery that allowed all this

Drip Bayless

Superstar
Daps
a million different ways to say the og's fukked up

that still supports what i said

euros never deebo'd nothing

it was the already present fukkery that allowed all this

I didn’t quote your first post to dispute they fukked up that’s facts
My issue was with you saying they did so out of greed
Mfs gotta dispel this idea that Africans caused their own demise because of greedy and corrupt leaders
Like I said they fukked up terribly but it was out of naïveté not greed