How Advance were African Civilizations before European Colonialism??

Jammer22

All Star
Daps
This wasn't politics it was conquest. Its akin to how the english treated the irish and they didn't see themselves as the same

I'm talking about internal corruption from inside the same ethnic groups weakening them to euro intervention. I'm aware of the different ethnicities or religions going to war and providing slaves.

Internally weak states fell to the Euros.

A resilient economy and industrializing state to manufacture said guns + gun-powder would have been better.

The Ashanti empire was headed there, but it was too late.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Really it was only one technology that made the most difference: gunpowder.

There were African societies with all or most of the innovations Europeans had except that.

It wasn’t gunpowder per se. Africans had muskets/rifles by the 19th century.

Machine guns were the Africans major technological deficit, to be exact. Also, Europeans had developed medicine to withstand many tropical diseases such as malaria. West Africa, for example was called the White Man’s Grave for a reason

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Coli posters in this thread are largely incorrect. Europeans had been using guns in warfare en masse since the 1500s but only conquered all of Black Africa (save Ethiopia and Liberia) by the early 20th century due to a reason.

I’ll let y’all think about that
:mjgrin:

Even below the equator, cacs were getting served

In 1693, Portuguese militia tried to take control of the gold trade in the interior of Africa by invading the Rozvi empire. The Rozvi
armed with sharpened stones, were able to successfully defeat these attacks and maintain their control of the gold mines.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Only thing cacs had against us was gun powder which they took from china. If it wasn't for guns we were actually neck in neck in terms of technology we knew of blacksmithing and used that in our art while cacs decided to trade the mason pick for the sword

Like Chris Rock said with guns and bullets, I have to tell you that it's not gunpowder it's ballistics.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
If I remember correctly, it was necessarily the fact that Europeans had guns. Because Africa also had guns. The Europeans were selling it to them. The issue was that the Africans were content with just buying the guns and not learning how to make their own. They continued to look at the Europeans as merchants until it was too late.
What's interesting is that...it's documented that when whites first made contact with Japan, after their isolation ,this scenario played out differently. Euros showed the "emperor" guns/rifles for the first time. The NEXT DAY, the emperor's engineers had drawn up diagrams of, and made working replicas of the firearms.

I was off about a few details...not the emperor and it was swordsmith not engineer, and didn't take a day but they immediately began trying to make their own guns.

page1.jpg

page2.jpg

page3.jpg

Last edited:

MegaManX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
None of this is relevent. Colonialism did not happen until after the "discovery" of America.

When they "discovered" America, within 50 years they looted enough gold and silver from the indigenous pops to fund 200 years of war easily. Bolivia literally has a mountain that supplies 60% of the world's silver.

"Founded in 1545 as a mining town, it soon produced fabulous wealth, and the population eventually exceeded 200,000 people. The city gave rise to a Spanish expression, still in use: vale un Potosí, ("to be worth a Potosí") meaning "to be of great value". The rich mountain, Cerro Rico, produced an estimated 60% of all silver mined in the world during the second half of the 16th century."

Amerikan Melanin

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I also think the abundance of resources in Africa that the African people were used to was our downfall.

They were accustomed to eating plenty and the wonderful climate being able to farm and fish.

CACs were desperate and dying. Always having disease and famines. This makes you Bloodthirsty. Besides the fact they bred with neAnderthals.

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
???

And what was the main downfall in the colonialism of South America and Africa??

africa.jpg
a drawing of what the portuguese found.

the issue with africa, is its sparsely populated. people for get how massive the continent is, and how there really wasnt a lot of people in the west, center and south. east on the other hand was very populated and thus they had huge kingdoms from egypt to ethiopia. in the west, cities like these were scorched down by the europeans, so we'll never really know how many or how often they were.
18-loango-africa-kongo-kingdom.jpg

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Coli posters in this thread are largely incorrect. Europeans had been using guns in warfare en masse since the 1500s but only conquered all of Black Africa (save Ethiopia and Liberia) by the early 20th century due to a reason.

I’ll let y’all think about that

Planes or c00nery? :patrice: