HOUSTON METRO BUSES (aka Official Bus Thread, yeah we got one)

50CentStan

Allahu Akbar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Ummah!
real spit, do you work for metro? where does your love for busses come from? My personal experience with houston metro is that its terrible, nasty, never on time, and many other negative things :manny: so im curious about your love for the bus game (especially in Houston), and how it developed...

Michael9100

The Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
houston
real spit, do you work for metro? where does your love for busses come from? My personal experience with houston metro is that its terrible, nasty, never on time, and many other negative things :manny: so im curious about your love for the bus game (especially in Houston), and how it developed...

No, I do not work for Metro....

Backstory as to why I love buses:

1) First and foremost: I like public transit's mission... serving the working class, elderly, the poor etc... It aligns with beliefs...

2) My dad was into vehicles; Trucks, Muscle cars etc... and a lot of that passed down to me...

3) My grandma bought me a lot of train sets; so early on I would "master plan" cities around the model train's rail lines....

4) I started to focus more on roads, service lanes and highways; I was Big collector, in the late 90s, of Houston Metro Bus schedules...

5) I would take the boxcars and pretend they were buses and place them on roads I outlined with my mom's yarn; They were influenced by bus routes: 65 Bissonnet & 68 Brays Bayou mostly/ in Austin the routes were the 1 North Lamar and 27 Dove Springs....

6) We used the bus a lot :russ:; not only local but Greyhound/Kerrville Bus Company, where we would travel back and forth from Houston to Austin.....

So from all of that, I was pretty fond of buses...

......Middle School and High School halted everything.... those were my dark ages..... :mjcry:

I just recently rekindled my love of transit around 2008. When I graduated we moved back to Austin and I rode Capital Metro buses daily just touring the city with their dollar day pass... :jawalrus:........... getting to know drivers and more about the routes and transit in general; I was older understood a lot better.

Then these caught my attention:
5549410664_d32806cc8b.jpg

So when we moved back to Houston in 2010, I purchased my camera to get few pics of them and one thing led to another and thats when I started to BusFan...... Austin really helped getting me back into transit...

I also found this site:
Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County - CPTDB Wiki

^^^This is the wiki for bus enthusiast... It broke down a lot to me and I learned more about Bus manufacturers/Transmission manufactures..... :blessed: <--- when I found that site

This guy:

^^^ I met him in person.... Meeting him kept me interested in buses and represented somewhat of a capstone to all of this......

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
I heard this guy speak who was either first or one of the first black bus drivers in Houston. His story was pretty interesting. His career started as driver and ended as a manager in the system like 40 years later. Dude is retired but is like a consultant now.

He telling stories about experiencing racism as a driver, and all types of stuff.

Off topic somewhat, but there is a similar story of the first or one of the first black police officers in Houston. I think they are going to rename the main police building after him. I think he served for like 50-60 years as an officer and just retired like a few years ago. I know his story was crazy too.

Michael9100

The Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
houston
I heard this guy speak who was either first or one of the first black bus drivers in Houston. His story was pretty interesting. His career started as driver and ended as a manager in the system like 40 years later. Dude is retired but is like a consultant now.

He telling stories about experiencing racism as a driver, and all types of stuff.

Off topic somewhat, but there is a similar story of the first or one of the first black police officers in Houston. I think they are going to rename the main police building after him. I think he served for like 50-60 years as an officer and just retired like a few years ago. I know his story was crazy too.

Sometimes I forget about Houston's history.... its not pretty.....

New York City Transit would make you jizz your pants!

It looks too compact... and the buses seem like they're always crowded... In Houston during off-peak hours, you cruise around the city on an empty bus :myman:

Captain

Save a thought
Daps
Reppin
Ethiopia
Backstory as to why I love buses:

4) I started to focus more on roads, service lanes and highways; I was Big collector, in the late 90s, of Houston Metro Bus schedules...

5) I would take the boxcars and pretend they were buses and place them on roads I outlined with my mom's yarn; They were influenced by bus routes: 65 Bissonnet & 68 Brays Bayou
1391242852504423408.GIF

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
Yeah, I love the subway, its not as fun as when I was a kid/teenager but its still cool :manny:
I love these subway cars

s2iXulf.jpg

Sometimes I forget about Houston's history.... its not pretty.....

It looks too compact... and the buses seem like they're always crowded... In Houston during off-peak hours, you cruise around the city on an empty bus :myman:
Nah the MTA system is vast...

I think if you spent time in NYC as someone who likes buses/trains you would really like it

:francis:fukk the MTA breh

Stay fukking with my weekend running express trains on the local track
MTA service can be shytty but I was just saying that if he's into buses then he would like the NYCT system