Hot take: The 80s were the real peak era for X-men, not the 90s (comic-wise).

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
1. Strong username to topic bias :unimpressed:even though it's a good point:pachaha:
2. The cartoon was cheeks :unimpressed:booty butt cheeks, sayeth the Lion :unimpressed:
3. Claremont/Lee et al were in their bag...and I still I have to pay respects to the wizard Jim Starlin on the cosmic front :banderas::salute:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For me, as far as the main canon/continuity, X-Men started to decline in the early 80s after Days of Future Past both in terms of storyline and art. There were some highlights that followed (issue 150, introduction of the Morlocks and Storm beating Callisto in combat, Rogue joining the team, issues 200-201, Mutant Massacre), but a lot what came after was awful. I hated the Brood Saga, I'm not a huge fan of the Japanese stuff with Wolverine, I hated Storm's new look, and I didn't care for the Outback years. As for the art, Romita Jr. couldn't shine his father's shoes and Silvestri's art is just as, if not more, messy.

You're right that nothing tops the Byrne run. The Byrne/Claremont run = GOAT era for any team book hands down.
I thought the rest of the Claremont run had some great stories like the Paul Smith era, the Mutant Massacre, and the original Genosha story.

The only things I really don't like about the post-200 era were the editorial mandates that were going on at the time...
- Editorial mandates messed up the end of the Dark Phoenix saga by resurrecting Jean Grey (Not Claremont's fault)
- Editorial mandates also messed up Cyclops by turning him into an out-of-character deadbeat dad in X-factor (Also not Claremont's fault)
- It also bugs me that the writers sidelined Nightcrawler after the Mutant Massacre. We didn't get to see him interact with the other major characters at all in any major storylines until well after Claremont left the book.

can’t wait til disney does this shyt RIGHT. :wow:

Disney better put some RESPECK on the X-men's name :birdman:

I can't blame anybody for saying the MCU fell off though. I'm just hoping that they'll learn from the mistakes in phase 4 so they can come correct when it's time to bring out the mutants.

Even the good Fox X-men movies (X1, X2, First Class, DoFP) are still mid compared to the 90s cartoon and the OG Claremont comicbook storylines.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Disney better put some RESPECK on the X-men's name :birdman:

I can't blame anybody for saying the MCU fell off though. I'm just hoping that they'll learn from the mistakes in phase 4 so they can come correct when it's time to bring out the mutants.

Even the good Fox X-men movies (X1, X2, First Class, DoFP) are still mid compared to the 90s cartoon and the OG Claremont comicbook storylines.

I more so look at it as them “coasting” right now for a bit and giving lesser known/less popular characters some shine before they ramp shyt up again…been reading comics since I was 5 so (1979)…got a shyt load of comics from my older cousin so I read a lot of avengers, iron man, thor, etc. since they were in the boxes but they weren’t my favorites…not even close…always loved spidey, hulk and x-men…seeing what the MCU did for avengers, I have no doubt in them being able to do right by the x-men

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps

We're gonna be waiting a long time, brethren.
I'm hoping for some Fantastic Four piff to keep us fed until those contracts are up. :mjcry:

full

SupaDupaFresh

Superstar
Daps

We're gonna be waiting a long time, brethren.
I'm hoping for some Fantastic Four piff to keep us fed until those contracts are up. :mjcry:

Don't care what no one say, of all the big Marvel movie casting 20 Century Fox's Hollywoodified X-Men was the absolute WOAT. Everything from he stupid all black-leather biker gang outifits to Halle Berry as Storm (big name for movie posters vs actual talent + faithfulness to the source material), making a rogue some generic 2000s teenager instead of the big curly headed Southern belle we know. Too much to name. Just have not aged well at all.

I'm actually excited to see what Disney does with this franchise once they bush all this shyt. Hope they revive it entirely.