Hot take: The 80s were the real peak era for X-men, not the 90s (comic-wise).

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The 90s were cool because we were kids and the cartoon was hot, but apart from AoA those stories weren't seeing the goatness of the 80s Claremont run.

Dark Phoenix and Days of Future Past are the obvious goat storylines.
God Loves Man Kills was the story they based X2 off of.

detail.jpg
1061353.jpg
clean.jpg

On top of that, the 80s era gave us...

- Wolverine in Japan
- The Brood Saga
- Lifedeath 1 and 2 (Storm loses her powers)
- The Morlock Massacre (Wolverine vs Sabertooth in the Sewers :wow:)
- Fall of the Mutants (where Angel became Archangel)
- The original Genosha story
- Inferno (Cyclops murking Mr. Sinister :banderas: )

detail.jpg
clean.jpg
clean.jpg

clean.jpg
clean.jpg
clean.jpg

clean.jpg
clean.jpg
clean.jpg

Most cats don't even realize that the majority of the really dope stories in the cartoon were lifted from this era.
The 90s were still fun though... definitely better than what we got in the movies :hhh:
Wish I could read these

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
Only X-related run I have at a comparable level is X-Factor by Peter David

:wow:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
80s marvel in general was :banderas:

Jim Shooter Marvel (‘79-87) >>>>>
It’s a shame they don’t have anyone like him running the company today. Things would be a lot different.

Shout outs to the Proteus storyline (1979).
It was a great story by itself but also did a dope job of setting up the Dark Phoenix right afterwards.

It arguably had the GOAT Cyclops moment when he rallied the team after the everyone got bodied by Proteus. I wish they would have adapted that moment in the animated series.

clean.jpg

Last edited:

Ridge Forrester

All Star
Daps
For me, as far as the main canon/continuity, X-Men started to decline in the early 80s after Days of Future Past both in terms of storyline and art. There were some highlights that followed (issue 150, introduction of the Morlocks and Storm beating Callisto in combat, Rogue joining the team, issues 200-201, Mutant Massacre), but a lot what came after was awful. I hated the Brood Saga, I'm not a huge fan of the Japanese stuff with Wolverine, I hated Storm's new look, and I didn't care for the Outback years. As for the art, Romita Jr. couldn't shine his father's shoes and Silvestri's art is just as, if not more, messy.