Horizon Zero Dawn | PS4/PC | Out Now

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
KZ2's weighty controls actually ended up being one of the reasons I liked it.

Def not snappy or a twitch shooter, but the more I played the more accustomed I became and started to understand what they were going for.

I enjoyed the highly accurate and difficult enemies coming at me in droves with really good AI and the care it took to find cover and pick your times to shoot and choose your targets wisely, and really learn the weapon you were using to be good.

I do see why it turned some people off, but I really loved that game.

Last boss was a fakkit though.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Horizon Zero Dawn - Humanity's final sunrise
PlayStation 4 exclusive Horizon Zero Dawn was one of the E3 title reveals that had my screaming: "I want it. NOW!" When the trailer started rolling, my jaw hit the floor (we’ll just bypass the zombie jokes for now). The world looked alive even if it was a cutscene at first. Then the gameplay kicked in and my enthusiasm didn’t waiver. Here was a game that took a ‘post-post apocalyptic’ setting and made it disturbingly beautiful, with unique creatures (albeit still familiar) and a strong female lead in Aloy.

It’s not Killzone
Killzone developers Guerrilla Games have been working on Horizon Zero Dawn for four and a half years already, and are promising a third-person, seamless open-world, action RPG. If you can see it, you can visit it according to the developers, and it will all be done with no loading screens. And on top of that, the world will feature a dynamic day-night cycle and weather system, all using a modified Killzone Shadow Fall engine.

While the game has a future setting (not unlike Killzone), the weapons on offer are not the usual generic space-fare, but more reminiscent of the weapons our ‘forefathers’ used. Except they’re made from both natural materials and machines.

With a setting a 1,000 years from now, humanity is not the dominant species on the planet, but machines (or maybe more accurately dino-mechs) roam the world in herds and individually and it’s up to Aloy to find her way through it all to discover her place in the world. What exactly has brought about this shift in control has not been revealed yet, but I’m pretty willing to hedge my bet with a Terminator/Skynet rise of the machines… so it’s a safe bet that it’s humanity’s fault. Again.

As far as story details go, the game’s fact sheet simply says that you will “embark on a compelling, emotional journey and unravel mysteries of tribal societies, ancient artifacts and advanced technologies that will determine the fate of this planet, and of life itself,” while the PlayStation Blog says that Aloy will embark on a “quest that will lead her to discover her own destiny.

And if you’re wondering what Zero Dawn itself means, the game’s director Mathijs de Jonge tweeted that the “meaning of "Zero Dawn" will be uncovered when you play”. I can only speculate that there will be no dawn on the horizon for humanity if Aloy fails. As always, it seems the weight of the world is on your shoulders…

The war machines
The early footage has revealed a handful of creatures inhabiting the planet – alongside a number of human tribes (of which Aloy’s is the ‘oldest’) – with more still to be revealed I’m sure.

The ‘Thunderjaw’ is the T-Rex of the world and according to PlayStation Access comes in at 80 feet long and 30 feet high. In terms of pure nerd numbers, the creature is made up of 550,000 polygons and features over 67 different visual effects. On its armour alone, there are 93 different hit points with 12 spots available dealing three times damage, but if you’re keen to really hurt the beast, hitting the two cores will make the pain ten times more excruciating for Thunderjaw. The two cores represent the AI and power for the creature – or in our terms, the head (or brain. Yeah, still no zombie jokes) and heart.

While the Thunderjaw is the behemoth of the world, the ‘Watcher’ is the neighbourhood nosey parker. As the name suggests the Watcher is there to look for danger and warn the others of the potential danger. Taking them down quickly and quietly appears to be the key to a successful hunt.

A number of other creatures that can be spotted in the footage shown off to date, include a long-necked creature not unlike a Diplodocus (don’t worry I used the internet to get the name too), a herd of deer-like creatures and an angry bird that is not at all like an Angry Bird. In fact it looks frightening, and there is a part of me most likely to run away on our first encounter, because I’m not really a brave one like all of you.

(Not going to) Throw me a bone here
Guerrilla Games has made it clear that there will be no tutorial to handhold you at the beginning (or at any stage I assume) so some of the confrontations will not be a walk in the (Jurassic) park until you have learnt from your mistakes. Watching the gameplay shown at E3, there is also clearly a few approaches that can be taken in completing your missions (of which hunting appears to be just one mission type according to Mathijs de Jonge). With the addition of ‘stealth grass’, the option to move silently is obviously encouraged, however, you won’t be able to stay unnoticed in the open.

Learning (again, on your own and not via tutorials) the weaknesses, attack patterns and the behaviour of the various creatures will also aid you in selecting the best tactic to use when taking down the creatures. Again, the footage and post-E3 coverage has revealed that weapons such as the tether cord will play a critical part in controlling larger creatures, while also being capable of controlling and killing a herd of smaller creatures. Other weapons shown off so far reveal that an up close and personal option is available along with a bow and the aforementioned tether cords. Again, I’d expect this arsenal to be expanded on and even upgradeable in the game, as it is clear that Aloy is a skilled hunter, and probably an expert survivalist too.

Killing the various creatures is key to the growth of your character (as it is in most RPGs generally), as many of the raw materials needed for weapon crafting can only be harvested from the ‘robo-dinos’ (heck, I’m still trying to figure out what they’re actually called). Weapons can be ‘quick crafted’ during battle even, so should you have collected the right mixture of natural and mechanical ingredients, an armour-piercing arrow will be yours quicker than you can say “bad Thunderjaw”.

Into the sunset
While much of what was revealed seemed quite refreshing, there’s still plenty that one could claim has been seen in other open-world survival games in recent times, but there’s still something about what has been shown off that leaves me filled with confidence in the final product which we will all have to wait until an undisclosed date in 2016 for…

I’m pretty excited about the game and for me it’s certainly one of the potential must-have PS4 exclusives in the new year.

What I’d be interested to know is do you see the same potential as I and many others did at E3? Or is Horizon Zero Dawn just a little like a cut and paste of some of the other open-world games that have been released recently… but with dino-mechs?

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Guerrilla “Happy” With Horizon’s PS4 Performance; Promises No FPS Drops Below 30 Horizon's game director on Twitter about the game's performance on the PS4
18849066731_75f88d51ac_h-1170x578.jpg
upcoming PS4 exclusive ‘Horizon: Zero Dawn’ looks absolutely stunning and I can’t say enough how impressed I was with the trailer that the Dutch developer showed off at the E3 two weeks ago. Both resolution and frame rate are becoming more and more important with the next-gen consoles and according to a lot of gamers, next-gen titles should all aim for full HD with a frame-rate of 60 FPS. The recently released open-world RPG ‘The Witcher 3’ from Polish developer CD Projekt Red proved once again that aiming for the best resolution isn’t always the best – from early tests by Eurogamer the Xbox One version outperformed the PS4 version of the title. As you might know open-world tiles such as The Witcher 3 and GTA V require a lot of recourses from a consoles hardware. With open-world titles there is a lot of going on in the environment and this stresses the hardware. In such cases aiming for a more consistent frame-rate of 30 FPS might sometimes be better as gamers will experience a smoother experience. Guerrilla has presented Horizon as an open-world RPG and the developer has already confirmed that the game will run at 1080P with 30FPS. Personally I would think this is a wise decision and judging from recent tweets from Guerrilla’s game director Mathijs De Jonge, the team behind Horizon is happy with how Horizon runs at the moment. Following a comment from a fan who suggested that Sony’s PS4 should receive a hardware upgrade in order to let Horizon run at 60 FPS, De Jonge replied that they are “happy with 1080p/30fps and the vast amount of content we’re squeezing in”

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Guerrilla Games Needed A ‘Strong’ But Young Character For PS4 Exclusive Horizon: Zero Dawn
Guerrilla's game director Mathijs de Jonge on the inspiriation for Horizon's main character
VERION JULY 7, 2015 NO COMMENTS 363 VIEWS NEWS, PS4
horizon_zerodawn-1170x578.jpg

Horizon: Zero Dawn from Dutch developer Guerrilla Games amazed a lot of gamers during last E3. The Killzone creator showed off an amazingly beautiful trailer that blew the audience away, including Naughty Dog’s creative director Neil Druckmann and game director Justin Richmond.

Guerrilla Games has introduced PS4 exclusive Horizon as an open-world RPG that is comparable in size with recent open-world titles. While a lot of recent games rely on health-regeneration, Horizon’s main protagonist is condemned to self-healing in order to survive. Healing is done by ‘things’ found in the nature of Horizon according to game director Mathijs de Jonge.

Set in a post-post apocalyptic world, the game’s main protagonist is ‘Aloy’, an agile female warrior. Aloy looks tough and not without a reason. Surviving in a world where mechanical creatures rule is no easy task and a ‘strong’ character is what developer Guerrilla Games aimed for according to game director Mathijs de Jonge.

Aloy reminds me of several ‘strong’ female characters, including the red-haired beauty from Heavenly Sword ‘Nariko’. We asked De Jonge about Horizon’s main character inspiration and whether there are resemblances with the red-haired beauty from Heavenly Sword. We received a reply (in Dutch) from the game director and while there was no inspiration from ‘Nariko’, De Jonge did reveal that Guerrilla needed a strong character like ‘Ripley’ from the ‘Alien’ franchise and ‘Sarah Connor’ from ‘Terminator’, only younger and tribal. We’ve included the tweets below but since they are in Dutch you’ll need to translate them.

@Paradiger Niet daarvan. We wilden een sterk karakter als Ripley in Aliens of Sarah Connor in Terminator, maar dan jonger en tribal.

— Mathijs de Jonge (@dejongemathijs) July 7, 2015

@Paradiger Inderdaad, geheel toevallig, maar zeker overeenkomsten.

— Mathijs de Jonge (@dejongemathijs) July 7, 2015

That ‘Aloy’ also has resemblances with Game of Thrones character is something that I thought of later. De Jonge confirmed this but also added that these resemblances are merely coincidence.

Do you like ‘Aloy’ and who does she remind you of?
http://www.paradiger.com/guerrilla-games-needed-a-strong-but-young-character-for-horizon-zero-dawn/

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Killzone Dev's New PS4 IP Horizon: Zero Dawn Won't Have Multiplayer
Guerrilla Games discusses its upcoming open-world hunting game.

Horizon: Zero Dawn, the new property from Killzone developer Guerrilla Games, will not feature a traditional competitive multiplayer experience.
Speaking to GamesRadar, studio art director Jan Bart Van Beek and lead producer Lambert Wolterbeek Muller said "the core of the game is a single player experience," but added that there will be "certain social features in there" too.
The duo also discussed the game's world, saying it is explorable in its entirety: "Every mountaintop is accessible, every river you can go through, every valley, and this [E3 demo] is basically one of many valleys."
Combat, meanwhile, breaks down into three distinct styles. One style allows players to focus on stealth tactics, while the other gives the player plenty of firepower to use. The third and final style is oriented around setting up traps.

"There are ways where you get to customise your character and tune her more towards your play style, or develop them all to make her more into a Jack of all trade," explained Van Beek. "The XP system is mostly tied to the perk system, so you can develop and focus your character."
Sony revealed Horizon: Zero Dawn during its E3 2015 press conference and said it will launch in 2016 exclusively for PlayStation 4. It puts players in the shoes of a female archer named Aloy, who hunts strange robot-animal hybrids for an as of yet unexplained reason.
The world shown in the debut gameplay video, which you can watch above, was vast and colorful. The world will have full day/night cycle and players will get to explore forests, mountains, and "atmospheric ruins of a bygone civilization."
Guerrilla Games has said it always wanted the lead in Horizon: Zero Dawn to be a woman, but noted there was a lot of discussion internally about this decision.
PlayStation Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida added that Sony wondered if it would be "risky" to launch such a major project with a female protagonist. Its developer, however, was able to show people would respond well to the game's central protagonist, as well as the open-world RPG, and the set up of machine versus primitive weapons.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/killzone-devs-new-ps4-ip-horizon-zero-dawn-wont-ha/1100-6428752/

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

Horizon: Zero Dawn, the new property from Killzone developer Guerrilla Games, will not feature a traditional competitive multiplayer experience.
Speaking to GamesRadar, studio art director Jan Bart Van Beek and lead producer Lambert Wolterbeek Muller said "the core of the game is a single player experience," but added that there will be "certain social features in there" too.
The duo also discussed the game's world, saying it is explorable in its entirety: "Every mountaintop is accessible, every river you can go through, every valley, and this [E3 demo] is basically one of many valleys."
Combat, meanwhile, breaks down into three distinct styles. One style allows players to focus on stealth tactics, while the other gives the player plenty of firepower to use. The third and final style is oriented around setting up traps.

"There are ways where you get to customise your character and tune her more towards your play style, or develop them all to make her more into a Jack of all trade," explained Van Beek. "The XP system is mostly tied to the perk system, so you can develop and focus your character."
Sony revealed Horizon: Zero Dawn during its E3 2015 press conference and said it will launch in 2016 exclusively for PlayStation 4. It puts players in the shoes of a female archer named Aloy, who hunts strange robot-animal hybrids for an as of yet unexplained reason.
The world shown in the debut gameplay video, which you can watch above, was vast and colorful. The world will have full day/night cycle and players will get to explore forests, mountains, and "atmospheric ruins of a bygone civilization."
Guerrilla Games has said it always wanted the lead in Horizon: Zero Dawn to be a woman, but noted there was a lot of discussion internally about this decision.
PlayStation Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida added that Sony wondered if it would be "risky" to launch such a major project with a female protagonist. Its developer, however, was able to show people would respond well to the game's central protagonist, as well as the open-world RPG, and the set up of machine versus primitive weapons.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/killzone-devs-new-ps4-ip-horizon-zero-dawn-wont-ha/1100-6428752/

It's an open world RPG so I'm good with no multi

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up

WOOOOOO!!!! Im excited

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
No multiplayer?

fukk kinda game doesn't have multiplayer in 2015:what:

Not worth the $60 :camby:

:troll:

Nah, this is expected for this type of game. Who thought there would be multiplayer?:dwillhuh:

Daps
Reppin
Canada
No multiplayer?

fukk kinda game doesn't have multiplayer in 2015:what:

Not worth the $60 :camby:

:troll:

Nah, this is expected for this type of game. Who thought there would be multiplayer?:dwillhuh:

I'm expecting more expansions if the game gets more critical acclaim, like The Witcher. I'm really not into shooters myself like you are.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I'm expecting more expansions if the game gets more critical acclaim, like The Witcher. I'm really not into shooters myself like you are.

The witcher is a pretty high bar to reach. Being that this is a new IP, I don't really expect it to match the witcher for content. Hopefully its a fun an interesting world, gameplay looks good already.